Author Topic: Laid Up Ships  (Read 214414 times)

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
Re: Laid Up Ships
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »
Carrick Roads can be used, and has been in the past.

Still plenty of berths in the River Fal - 3 or 4 (or even 5 abreast) is achievable on the present moorings (I think a total of 15 berths - though could be wrong!)!
Believe Pietari Bruin might come - will keep posted!

Krispen

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »
I understand that the Blackwater is not being used due to concerns of introducing non-native organisms from ballast water or hull growth, and the Stour due to RAMSAR status etc but do you have those problems at Falmouth ?

Just asking as it seems the Fal is an equally environmentally sensitvie area and of outstanding natural beauty. I am all for it but it is difficullt to judge if thirty of so ships anchored in our estuaries as occcured in the early 60s would be accepted now.

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »
Can the Dart still be used?  I can well remember as a lad in the 1950's seeing many laid up there.
David

Offline DanSTN

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:35 AM »
Bulk carrier ERIDGE is due at 101 berth Southampton on New Years Day

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
That's interesting about the Blackwater as I was just wondering which authority is responsible for that stretch of water. Seems like it's the Oystermen  :-(  Surely it's a tidal estuary anyway, so would be subject to the same risk of contamination as any other coastal area.

Offline Julian

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
Fal River and Falmouth Bay. Pietari Cliff now moored alongside Pietari Bright, with Pietari Glory on the outside (Philleigh side) There is a good photographic spot opposite the ships on the road down to Tolverne. In Falmouth Bay the Palma is still there, as is the Autosun (2000/21094) She is straight out of drydock and is painted up in what must be new hull colours for UECC, dark Blue. Also in the bay is the Delmar; (2006/31261) And we still have the LNG carriers, Methania, with the Arctic Discoverer (2006/118571) off the Lizard, and the Excelsior (2005/93719) off Porthleven,. Also off Porthleven and showing on AIS are; Sanko Venture, (2002/39272) with the bulker Osios David 2 (1982/14330) The tug Janus is also there, and I understand a rig of some sort (anyone know about this?)
Julian

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
I agree especially as there are now strict enviornmental controls on shipping eg no dumping of garbage etc and as TBT ant-fouling has been discontinued.
I believe that the Blackwater can be used for anchoring  ie lay-by but there seems no clear distinction as to when anchoring becomes lay-up and mooring which can be regulated eg by the Crown Estate or their lessees

There is some interesting history on http://www.merseamuseum.org.uk/mmshipping.php

It will also be intesting to see how the commercial pressure to find places to lay-up and the apparent environmental concerns about it balance out in the end.

Offline Julian

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
Falmouth area. One further vessel that has been anchored off Gerrans Bay for over two weeks is the Maple Valley-bulker. (2005/39768)
ADVENTURE II and CHALLENGER II  are also still anchored south East of St. Anthonys.
Julian

Offline Chandler

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
CSO Apache has been laid up at Leith for the last month, expected to be here until March '09.

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
Julian,

Maple Valley is anchored, waiting to be handed over to new owners I Believe.

In Mount's Bay the Janus has no tow with her, she bunkered in Falmouth before moving around last week.

Confirmed, Pietari Cliff is now up in King Harry reach, berthed inside Pietari Bright.

Krispen

Offline Julian

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »
Thanks Krispen,
I see the Auto bay is due tomorrow on the Northern Arm, as she is only 11 years old suspect she may be in for a 'service'
Julian

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »

Chandler wrote:
CSO Apache has been laid up at Leith for the last month, expected to be here until March '09.

This could be only for the winter as she is a pipelayer, otherwise she would have to head south to calmer waters.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
I see VTS is still showing Eridge as due on 101 on New Years Day.
Someone ought to tell the captain though as his AIS is showing Brixham at 08:00 New Years Day!

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Falmouth layups.
Yesterday PIETARI BRIGHT was showing on Shipping Movements list as due to leave the Fal and going back to sea . But PIETARI CLOUD is listed as due in on Friday. I find it all very confusing, does anyone know what they are doing any more!
Some excellent recent photos of Southampton and Fal layups can be seen on the Riversea International site, just Google it and scroll to the bottom.
David

Offline Julian

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »
Fal and Falmouth.
Local paper shipping notes say the Adventure 2 and Challenger 2 are also due up the Fal.
Pietrari Cloud due 2 January. Pietari Bright not on Falmouth movement list now.  She is moored between the Glory and Cliff!
Julian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk