Author Topic: P&O Ned buyout buy Maersk  (Read 5965 times)

Offline swash buckle

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
P&O Ned buyout buy Maersk
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:07:49 PM »
As big fish continue to swallow smaller fish, where does this leave P&O. Do they have anything of their own or is their future at sea (at least)down the tubes.

Offline George Robinson

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Goole Ships
Re: P&O Ned buyout buy Maersk
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:49:50 AM »
I think they are reduced to a ports and stevedoring business, essentially?
Best wishes from Hull
George

Offline swash buckle

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 12:12:29 PM »
They had at least 50 vessels  (containers)and also had taken the rights to the old Blue Star Funnel colours which they seem to be using on small group of vessels managed in Europe proper.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
Well, they stil have the ferries, although rumours abound that a take-over of that division (by DFDS?) is also imminent...

Offline Tom

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:49:47 PM »
I work in PONL's head office as a stowage co-ordinator so we've been right at the heart of the action so to speak. Since PONL was floated on the Amsterdam stock exchange the P&O group only had a 25% stake in the company and had no control over the direction the company took....except as share-holders. I believe we currently own/operate in the region of 160 ships that are managed from London and by our other planning office in Singapore.

Hope you find this of interest.

Offline swash buckle

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
Sad days indeed. If you actually own the vessels , or did, presumably the vessels were sold off lock stock and barrel?When you say that you are a stowage co-ordinator does that mean the same as a loading planner and do you co ordinate the loading with the chief officer. Cheers

Offline Tom

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
A lot of the ships were sold off to the Blue Star Management company that PONL set up in Germany after the original Blue Star aquisition. This company and the ships that they own were part of the deal with Maersk. As for the rest of the ships, some are/were wholly owned by PONL and some were chartered. The owned ships automatically transfer to Maersk and I believe that Maersk has agreed to honour all current charter agreements. The same goes for the agreements that PONL has with the Grand Alliance. Each line in the GA must give 6 months notice before they can leave. This means that PONL ships will continue operating GA services until Feb 2006 after which we will operate under the Mersk Line banner full time. How the other GA lines decide to react to this will be interesting as PONL is currently the largest player in the Grand Alliance. The Hapag Lloyd / CP Ships takeover is one indication of how they plan to fill the gap but more consolidation is definitely needed for them to continue the service they currently operate.
As for the stowage co-ordination.....planning the ships is part of the work but we are each responsible for a number of vessels. As well as doing the planning for all the ports on that particular service we contruct and issue the schedules, arrange bunkers, liase with the other partners in the service we are currently working on ie managing the allocations etc.

Offline swash buckle

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »
Thankyou for all of that information which I believe sets the position down very clearly for anyone who may be interested. It certainly is the bottom line for me and I appreciate your taking the time to clarify the issue for me. Good luck with your future masters!.. Bye Bye

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk