Author Topic: holiday in Terneuzen  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
holiday in Terneuzen
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
Hi friends,
this year I have to change my region for spotting.No pictures from Suezchannel in Summer sorry  After a test spotting last November for 2 days my family deceided to go 3 weeks to Terneuzen (Hoofplaat) in August.So I need some more further information. I know Antwerpen, the locks there,Waalsrooden, have been once in Zeebr
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: holiday in Terneuzen
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
Hallo Peter,
meine Erfahrungen mit der Schelde mit Anhang (meiner Frau, die ein paar Mal mit war).
Antwerpen: Setze sie in der Woche, wenn die Gesch

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »
Hi Peter,
I have been over to terneuzen/antwerp for the past four years and am visiting again in September.
We usually stay in Terneuzen which is approx 30mins from the port of antwerp, and is superb for ship spotting as all ships entering or leaving antwerp pass by, have a look at pics from henk as these are taken in terneuzen.
We have stayed at the hampshire hotel and the facilities are superb and they are very accomidating to shipspotters! the bar/resturant also right on the banks of the scheldt so all my meals are disturbed by shooting outside to catch something passing!
web address below:
http://www.hampshirehotels.nl/?p=117&l=nl

Also in Terneuzen is the west kant cafe absolutely faboulous as it has a 360degree view of the scheldt and also has a screen with ship plotter in the bar! the food is alsosuperb.
http://www.westkant.nl/

The harbour trips in Antwerp are great and we usualy take a 6 hour one so make sure yr camera batteries are fully charged!
They cover all of the port inc the big MSC home terminal.
these are run by Flandria line there web address is:
http://www.flandriaboat.com/

Hope this info has helped a little, feel free to ask me anything else & i will try to help.
Best rgds
Andrew

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
The best place for seeing ships is the tiny village Walsoorden, between Terneuzen and Antwerpen. The channel is very close to the shore at this point. However in this village no hotel, B&B, cafe, pub or shops available.
Best time is after the middle of the day because of the position of the sun.
Note that on sundays shipping from / towards Antwerpen is very limited.
At Vlissingen ships pass close as well, but the sun is for a very, very  long time in the wrong position because you are at the northern side of the Westerschelde now.
Best places on the southern side are Walsoorden and Terneuzen. No ships pass Breskens!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk