Author Topic: Mini Bulk Carriers Crossing the Atlantic  (Read 518 times)

Offline Hydra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mini Bulk Carriers Crossing the Atlantic
« on: March 03, 2024, 03:41:28 AM »
Thank you for accepting me to this forum. I have had a lifelong passion for boating and maritime history. Anyways, I had a question about the size of the size of bulk carriers used to cross oceans over the last decade. Obviously ships have gotten bigger over the years, but I have a questions about the smaller ships still used to cross oceans.

What are the smallest oceangoing bulk carriers known to cross the Atlantic, say from Europe to the US east coast and visa versa? I am wondering specifically about the bulk carriers transporting grain. Are there any 10,000 DWAT bulk carriers regularly crossing the Atlantic? If not, is it because of insurance, operating costs or is it something else?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Yvon Perchoc

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Bulk Carriers Crossing the Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 01:22:10 AM »
Hello Hydra,
I am not sure my reply will comply exactly with your question but at Fort de France (Martinique-French West Indies), the port receives regular small general cargo ships used as bulkers with grains in bulk from France.
Like LONGROSE : 101.15 x 14.64 m, draft 6.15 m, dwt5500, 6870 m3 (single hold)
Photo : https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/3683636?
Regards,
Yvon

Offline Rico Voss

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 07:55:38 AM »
It's more a General Cargo than a Mini Bulker. The Danish company H. Folmer & Co. operate worldwide with a coaster fleet consisting of 7 multi-purposed vessels in the tonnage class from 1600 to 2000 DWT.
Present example the Karine Danica IMO 8903014   65 x10 m on her way from Sunny Point (US East Coast) to the Kiel Canal.
Best regards
Rico

Offline urtfulrompa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 04:12:23 AM »
Let me ask a little about your thoughts. Do you think that ships with wide and large beams will be sturdier and less likely to capsize than ships that are thin and long?
Cindy Buton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk