Author Topic: DFDS to quit Tyne - Norway.  (Read 24508 times)

Offline rathey

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Tyneships
DFDS to quit Tyne - Norway.
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Very sad news. Lots of jobs to go. Don't know if somebody else might take over the route but in the current economic climate that must be a doubt.

Richard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7421579.stm

Re: DFDS to quit Tyne - Norway.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
Hi Richard

Well that's economics for you - indeed I'm surprised that DFDS are making a profit on their North Shields to Ijmuiden route and perhaps that will be the next to get the chop? If DFDS cannot make the Norway Route pay then I cannot see anyone else stepping  in and thinking they can.

This piece courtesy of Lloyds List http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/news/dfds-seaways-axes-newcastle-norway-route/20017536568.htm

"DFDS Seaways axes Newcastle-Bergen route

Craig Eason - Tuesday 27 May 2008

The Queen of Scandinavia was brought into the route in 2006.

DFDS Seaways is to axe its Newcastle to Bergen route, resulting in 340 job losses.

The Danish ferry operator has blamed an

Offline Kevin Small Jr.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOO! I cannot believe they are getting rid of the Queen of Scandinavia, if you ask me they should have stuck with the Gothenburg route. I'm not that upset that they are getting rid of the route but getting rid of the queen. That is a crime in my eyes.  :cry:  :cry:
Regards

Kevin  :-D

Offline rathey

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Tyneships
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
I agree. The best looking ship to visit the Tyne on a regular basis and one of the easiest to take a good photo of. Will be sadly missed. Get your photos while you can.

Richard.

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/75amj
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »
Has anyone actually heard which ship they are getting rid of?  It may be the case that they put the Queen back on the Ijmuiden run and get shot of Princess of Norway.  We'll have to wait and see.

Alan
Alan J :-)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:14 AM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Has anyone actually heard which ship they are getting rid of?  It may be the case that they put the Queen back on the Ijmuiden run and get shot of Princess of Norway.  We'll have to wait and see.
Alan

Hi Alan

According to an article in yesterdays Newcastle Journal it is definitely the QOS that is either to be sold or chartered out. Check out the piece, including an interview with the DFDS UK managing director John Crummie:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2008/05/28/ferry-route-axe-to-cost-300-jobs-61634-20984345/

The main reason for moving the Princess of Norway from the Scandinavian route and onto the Ijmuiden line was that she has a much larger load capacity - room for 580 cars as opposed to the QOS's 305. Passenger wise the QOS holds more at 1760 compared to the Princess's 1600 but the highest income is from cargo/freight. the King of Scandinavia is the largest of the three with capacity for 600 cars and 2000 passengers.

Regards

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/75amj
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:36:38 AM »
Hi Steve,

Sounds fair enough.  I was speaking to the old man on Queen the other day in dry dock and he knew nothing about this announcement.  Such a shame.  From 4 ferries to 2 in a short space of time is a real blow for the Tyne, the local economy and of course ship spotters!

Alan
Alan J :-)

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi Steve,Sounds fair enough.  I was speaking to the old man on Queen the other day in dry dock and he knew nothing about this announcement.  Such a shame.  From 4 ferries to 2 in a short space of time is a real blow for the Tyne, the local economy and of course ship spotters!Alan  

Hi Alan

To be honest I feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs - it must have a huge knock on effect with not only those on the Ship but all of those in support roles and the greater Tyneside economy.

I would imagine the Port of Tyne are having to look at their coffers, after all they are I believe paid a fee per passenger carried in and out of the Tyne. Just as well they weren't using the services of the Tyne Pilots on a daily basis or that would have also had a major effect :-o

Regards

Offline Kevin Small Jr.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
pheeew! I'm on, booked yesterday :-D. So I'm on the Queen of Scandinavia in August, I only wish I had travelled with her alot more than I have done.  :-(
Regards

Kevin  :-D

Offline larsbr

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
Damn, this is very, very sad news. I hope that they will chartering of sell the Princess. The Queen is a very better ship. Technical better, better in shape and more and more luxe... #OOPS#.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

larsbr wrote:
Damn, this is very, very sad news. I hope that they will chartering of sell the Princess. The Queen is a very better ship. Technical better, better in shape and more and more luxe... #OOPS#.

Hi Lars

We have a saying here in the UK - 'It's the size that counts'. QOS is the smallest of the three DFDS Ferries that are currently plying their trade from the Port of Tyne.

Regards

Offline larsbr

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:42:28 AM »
Hi Steve,

All technical facts of the Queen are bigger, and she is heavier. There are 170 passengers more than the Princess. But the biggest fault is the extreme cargo difference. 360 cars against 600 cars... I have a solution, rebuilt the cardeck of the Queen..  :-D

Lars

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »

larsbr wrote:
Hi Steve,
All technical facts of the Queen are bigger, and she is heavier. There are 170 passengers more than the Princess. But the biggest fault is the extreme cargo difference. 360 cars against 600 cars... I have a solution, rebuilt the cardeck of the Queen..
Lars

Hi Lars

What brings the money into DFDS - not the passengers so muchg as to the cargoe (vehicles/freight) - its all to do with profits as is the way of the World  :-o

Regards

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »
Just come back after a fantastic trip on the Queen of Scandinavia. Seeing the sunset whilst in Bergen, - AMAZING!!
We have lost some fantasytic journeys from the Tyne over the years  - Esbjerg, Hamburg -  now to Norway. - A HEAVY SIGH!!!!!!!
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

glencairn wrote:
Just come back after a fantastic trip on the Queen of Scandinavia. Seeing the sunset whilst in Bergen, - AMAZING!!We have lost some fantasytic journeys from the Tyne over the years  - Esbjerg, Hamburg -  now to Norway. - A HEAVY SIGH!!!!!!!

Hi David

Good to read that you had a good trip - I'm hoping to fit in a trip on the QOS before the route closes.

Of course we now see more Cruise Ships on the Tyne - so there is some compensation  :-?

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk