Author Topic: Boat capsized in tow of CCGS Sir William Alexander  (Read 9998 times)

Offline Kier Shackleton Gigeroff

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Website under construction on CCG vessels
Re: Boat capsized in tow of CCGS Sir William Alexander
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 12:57:14 AM »
They need the money they make by selling the sealskin to cope with the lack of cod in the last few years. Did you read the article? They do need to hunt the seals as they need money to survive, and they make that money by selling the furs. Surely you won't argue with the Newfoundlanders trying to make a living? Jeez, the fishermen get mad if the fishing laws become more strict, and they do need to get money somehow.
Just so that we all remember: these fishermen were from the Isles de la Madeleine, not Newfoundland.
So if we've killed all the cod (not only the Canadians, the Europeans fished those waters pretty seriously too), should all the Newfie fishermen go without any money until the cod bounce back? THIS IS HOW THEY SURVIVE. They don't have the luxuries of living in or near big cities (even the size of Halifax), where there all plenty of jobs to go around.
And of course, there are dangers of hundreds of boats going into the ice and depending on one or two icebreakers to come to the rescue.

Offline Bill

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
I am not sure why everyone is so against the seal hunt.They are plentyful.I guess these people have never seen a slaughter house.These seal hunters know the dangers of seal hunting sure but you should be safe when under tow by a Coast Guard vessel

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »
first of all,i know pretty well who was fishing in canadian waters.....mostly european companies.but the canadian government allowed it.and as the fish was gone,they spent a lot of money for the fisherman in atlanic canada.but probably not enough!!!!i can understand,why the people do the seal hunt,but if there will be no buyer for sealskin,nobody will earn money....
i know the rock good,i was lot of times there and i know what is going on there even in the small fishermens villages.
nevertheless i'm against the seal hunt.
and i know how dangerous the seal hunt can be in the ice conditions and it doesn't make a difference from where the people in atlantic canada are.

Offline K. Watson

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
This thing is outside the pale,we have a very sad loss of life, lets wait for official reports,no more conjecture,and this nonsense about seal hunts,right or wrong ,is in poor taste and not the place for these views at this juncture..IMHO Thankyou.Ken

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
I agree with Ken...

No matter what our views are on fishing/overfishing/seal hunt/furs/seal population control/economic reasons for seal hunts to support 'poorer' regions of Canada...  we should not debate here if is good or bad... instead we should pay respect to the lost lives. No matter the reason why they were there... they died in an unfortunate accident.

I won't say to much about the towing operation since I wasn't there and an inquiry will let us know what exactly happened.

To the 4 men who lost their lives... RIP

Steve
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Third sealer sank
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »
A third vessel taking part in the seal hunt off Newfoundland has been evacuated after being hit by ice on Apr 17. The

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk