Author Topic: FURNESS HARTLEPOOL berthed in Hartlepool  (Read 11463 times)

Offline JonHare

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jhphotos.co.uk
FURNESS HARTLEPOOL berthed in Hartlepool
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
mv FURNESS HARTLEPOOL has been berthed in Hartlepool Docks. She is expected to set sail at approx 1500hrs on 22/03/2008.

Managed to take some early morning photos of her this morning. Fighting against the very strong winds, which was throwing the camera all over the place so was taking a while to get the camera to stay still.

I believe this is only her second visit to Hartlepool.

I will be uploading some pics to my website in the next few days.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FURNESS HARTLEPOOL berthed in Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »
Hi Jon,
Yes i seen her on the forecast just now, she is now put under FIRM ORDER.
See spotter50's image of her last time she visited, here.

But then agian the bulker DYNA AUK was under firm order today at 14:00hrs but was cancelled, as you can see why. See is now due for the 22/03/2008 under firm order at 14:30hrs. So the tugs will probably bring DYNA AUK in first then go and assist FURNESS HARTLEPOOL. But if the waves were as bad as they were yesterday i doubt anything will be moving!

The waves were bad at the S.Gare and Hartlepool was getting a pounding. No doubt the weather will be the same again! ALFA ITALIA is weather bound in Teesbay. FURNESS HARTLEPOOL was due to leave today but was held off. If the weather forecast is anything to go by i doubt she will make it out. I am sure the tugs will have to battle with the surf to get over there!

- Coatham

Offline JonHare

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
The surf on the North Shore of Hartlepool were about 6-10 footers. These winds are expected to stay strong from the north/ north east for the next few days so that will increase the swell a lot more. Making for more impressive breakers onto the Heugh Breakwater.

The High Tide at Hartlepool is at 1605hrs at about 5.3m

This is the roughest I have seen the Hartlepool coast in a number of years.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
I have been at the S.Gare afew time with large waves. But the ones i seen today were the biggest yet! The walkway leading up to the lighthouse was getting covered. Good luck to the pilot tommorow if he/she tries to get out to the bulker, and the tugs for that matter. Usually they will use 3 tugs for a vessel inbound for the Ore Terminal. They will probably place the whole Tees fleet on the job if the waves are bad! I plan to walk down there to see DYNA AUK come in, thats if she does. The weather forecast says no rain till about 18:00hrs so that gives me plenty of time to get out. Oh well, i will check to forecast tommorow and see whats going on.
Regards, Coatham

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:52 AM »
Hi Coatham

Must be rough out in the North Sea - Just been checking Shiplotter and there are 5 Ships attempting a Northward passage and are averaging a speed on only 4 knots - must be rough out there  :-o

Regards

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:12:39 AM »
FURNESS HARTLEPOOL is now under FIRM ORDER for 3:00am tommorow.
DYNA AUK is still due to come in at 14:30 under heavy seas and high winds.
On the radio, the weatherman said the bad winds are going to keep up over easter. Its going to be mayhem at the breakwater!
- Coatham

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
BBC weather has now changed the high tide 'ETA' from 16:00hrs to 15:36. Maybe because of the high winds?
- Coatham

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
DYNA AUK is now under FIRM ORDER at 3:00am with FURNESS HARTLEPOOL following half on hour after!
Teesport has put Alfa Italia to come in at 15:00hrs ESTIMATE today. I will still walk down but i doubt there will be any significant movements on the river today.
- Coatham

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
Hi Coatham

I was watching the arrival of the Bulker KAPITAN SVIRIDOV - IMO 8218706 arrive into UK waters this morning ( inbound from St Petersberg) and thought she was going to shelter in Tees Bay whilst waiting to enter the Port of Tyne on 23 March. She now seems to have changed course and is now heading North up the North East coast.

Regards

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
Hi Steve, yes i seen her on AIS. It seems all the ships are anchoring further out to sea tan teesbay. But then again watching the ones from yesterday bounce up and down in the bay a cant blame them!
I am just setting off for the S.Gare now. Should be interesting to see them bring Alfa Italia. I got a text of a friend saying the waves are crashing over the lighthouse already. That was a noon!
- Coatham

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »

coatham wrote:
Hi Steve, yes i seen her on AIS. It seems all the ships are anchoring further out to sea tan teesbay. But then again watching the ones from yesterday bounce up and down in the bay a cant blame them!
I am just setting off for the S.Gare now. Should be interesting to see them bring Alfa Italia. I got a text of a friend saying the waves are crashing over the lighthouse already. That was a noon!
- Coatham

Hi coatham, what the ships are doing is steaming at a speed just fast enough to maintain stearage. This normally happens when there is a onshore wind,this could cause the ships to end up on the beach if they were to drag there anchors.I have noticed that two coal ships have in the last couple of hours have gone to the Tyne anchorage as the winds have dropped to about 10mph gusting to 20mph.

Do you know what vhf channels are for what along this coast ? ie Blyth ,Tyne,Wear and Tees

I am sure Steve will Know.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
No doubt steve will!
I did have a file containing all the channels for the UK, but i have lost it!
PM Steve, he will find out.
- Coatham

Offline JonHare

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »
It was really rough today with at the Heugh, taking a real pounding.

Had a run upto Seaham to see what it was like. Waves were rolling over the north pier. Inside the piers it was really rough.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Hi Jon, i could see the waves hitting Hartlepool today, then about half 4 i couldnt see Hartlepool as it looked foggy. But it was actually snow! Then it hit the S.Gare.
- Coatham

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 12:44:36 AM »

coatham wrote:
- Coatham

Hi Nathan,

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=tees&hh=23&mm=0&date=20080322

these ships are all due into the Tees but have scarpered due to the high seas , they wont anchor out there it will be to deep .

regards cawky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk