Author Topic: Cameras and Photography Advice Forum  (Read 228471 times)

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Cameras and Photography Advice Forum
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »
Hello Denis,
Since late last year I have been using a SONY DXC-HX400V with 20.4 megapixels and 50x optical zoom with Carl Zeiss lens. My opinion Sony make the best cameras and Carl Zeiss the best lenses but that's only my opinion.        
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:46:48 AM by Paul Finnigan »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
Paul that looks impressive, how is the quality at full zoom? Can you use a monopod? Prices in Holland are about 450 euro, possibly slightly above Denis' budget. I might also be a tat too big. Note that the mpx amount is about the same as a Canon 1Dx, of which the body alone is about 12 times more expensive. The Canon 1D MkIV that I am using has 16.1 mpx...(This harks back to the link I posted earlier, do not judge the quality of the camera by the number of mpx).    
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:41:33 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
Hi Pieter,

This shot in the link is one at almost full 50x optical zoom taken with the SONY HX400V from a moving ferry www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2502169 Al I have done to the photo was crop and sharpen a bit. I let everyone be the judge but for a camera around $500-600 Aust dollar it does all right. I am at a guess you can you use a monopod I use a tripod with it for night shoots.    
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:57:39 PM by Paul Finnigan »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:05 AM »
Hi Paul, looks very good value for money. Perhaps Denis will consider the size of the camera to be an issue. The fact that a tripod can be used makes it 100% suitable for a monopod. 

Clydee

« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2016, 06:34:32 AM »
After Brexit A$ 500 AUD   =

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
Hi Denis
I think most of us have spare cameras that we either don't use or keep them just in case
I have a few that I don't need now so when I return from work later today I will let you know what I have
If they are of use to you then I'm more than happy to let you have one
I don't want any money for them but if you pay the postage I'm happy with that
Kind regards
Peter

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »
Thinking of replacing my Panasonic FZ50 with Nikon D5300 and Tamron 15-300 - anyone have any experience with the latter kit? Trying to justify the

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
I use this camera, and find it excellent, but I have the Tamron 16x300 and find this a very competent lens and more than capable to satisfy my needs of ship photography, oh and at a fraction of the

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
I use this camera, and find it excellent, but I have the Tamron 16x300 and find this a very competent lens and more than capable to satisfy my needs of ship photography, oh and at a fraction of the

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Hi Patrick, I think 16-300 is a bit of a waste, in the sense that on any picture taken below 25mm a ship will most likely look distorted and with 16 mm it may look completely bend. I use a 28-300 (and an expensive one too) but on 28 mm the horizon is never completely as it should be. So my advice is to go for one with a less wide angle just to prevent diaappointments.     

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »
I use an 18-300 mm and it dos not produce any "fish-eye" effect

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've always been of the idea that 18 - 300 is too great a range to have edge to edge sharpness through the range, and with ships, the name is always towards the edge of the pic.  I prefer to use a 70 - 300 and on a second camera 24 - 105.  OK its two cameras but I'm happy with the results.

Allan

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
I use an 18-300 mm and it dos not produce any "fish-eye" effect

Bob, I did not say fish eye, but my "horizon" at 28 is never completely horizontal. Maybe you check that out for yourself in photoshop or whatever you use. It is not always disturbing but when you know that it is distorted slightly I pay attention to avoid using whenever possible. I also have a 16-38, which I seldomly use at all for ships.

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
Hi Pieter,

It was the best option to give me some wide angle and the telephoto in a single lens. As I said though, I have opted for the Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera which gives me 25-400 35mm equivalent (with up to 800 with digital zoom in some modes) - should be more than enough. I usually try not to go much below 35-40 for wide angle though.

Regards

Patrick

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
Hi Pieter,

It was the best option to give me some wide angle and the telephoto in a single lens. As I said though, I have opted for the Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera which gives me 25-400 35mm equivalent (with up to 800 with digital zoom in some modes) - should be more than enough. I usually try not to go much below 35-40 for wide angle though.

Regards

Patrick

OK looks good, but do not count on the digital zoom for good quality stuff. I have used such a camera in Indonesia once, and regretted later on that I did not bring my normal gear, but I had not expected a trip in the bay of Surabaya at the time.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk