Author Topic: Crane accident at Southampton  (Read 42197 times)

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Crane accident at Southampton
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »
It's interseing to read that you think that 70% of trade from the far east goes through Southampton and that you've picked up business from Felixstowe. I would be interested to see where the figure of 70% has come from, it sounds rather high to me. If it's anywhere near correct what on earth do they do ALL day at Felixstowe and to a lesser extent at Thamesport ??? I would suggest that the only reason Southampton might pick up a bit of business from Felixstowe is weather related being that cranes do not operate above a certain windspeed. When the improvements to berthing at Felixstowe are made in order to accomodate more large container vessels plus the possible opening up of Bathside Bay in Harwich I think things might change quite considerably.  As for Thamesport, although much smaller, it is even now being used for diverts from Southampton, and has recently picked up a fortnightly visit from Ships of the Yang Ming Line. Rgds jw.

Offline DanSTN

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
I think a more accurate figure is that around 45% of Far East trade comes in through Southampton. Felixstowe probably has a similar figure with Thamesport account for most of the rest.

Its worth considering that the vast majority of Southamptons traffic is Far East, but Felixstowe serves a far more broad selection of trades, and does not rely so much on the Far East.

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
There are a few container ships at anchor in Sandown Bay today waiting to get up to Southampton. Among them are Seoul Express, NYK Aphrodite, OOCL Bremen, CMA-CGM Debussy, Maersk Kushiro and WMS Harlingen (the latter at St Helens anchorage). I went up onto Culver Down (overlooking Sandown Bay and the eastern Solent) to see them and managed to not get blown away.

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »

Offline DanSTN

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
Currently at the Nab Anchorage:

NYK Aphrodite
CMA CGM Debussy
Maersk Kushiro
OOCL Bremen
OOCL Belgium
Seoul Express

The only movement since the Crane incident has been the Maersk Nariobi which used 203 berth.

I would imagine there will be a number of vessels calling at other UK / Continent ports instead of Southampton over the coming week.

Anybody have any pictures yet? I drove past today and all I saw was half a crane. Would be interesting the see the inside of the Kyoto Express

Offline laurie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »
Re Daywalkers earlier comment re Yangming vessels possibly diverting to Thamesport due to weathe. The schedule for their AE3 loop shows this service is now scheduled for Thamesport calling fortnightly on a Friday. Scedule at present covers period to mid May.

Laurie

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »
It seems to me that this incident at Southampton can't be too serious, don't worry chaps. The ABP Southampton web-site under LATEST NEWS is showing that absolutely nothing has happened since 7/12/07. Surely this incident should have warranted a line or two !!!!!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »
Hi All

Well it didn't warrant much coverage in local press/tv etc.

OOCL Bremen diverted to Thamesport.....sailed from Nab Anchorage No.9 at 11:00hrs Monday 21st.

Allan

Offline Adjani

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 03:04:22 PM »
No pics, a snippet from WorldCargoNews

The boom of a container crane collapsed onto a ship during boom down operations Last Friday (18 January) at around 16.35h local time the boom of a crane at Southampton Container Terminals (SCT) collapsed onto the ship it had just finished working, Hapag-Lloyd

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 03:13:36 PM »
Hi all

Latest update: NYK Aphrodite, OOCL Belgium and Seoul Express all gave up the ghost and sailed at around 14:00 today, the last two are having a race to Antwerp.   That leaves just CMA CGM Debussy at the anchorage and I suspect she will leave soon

Allan

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »
Here is the video of the crane collapse at Kwangyang in Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-YlfVey1Y

Andrew

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
Oh you are a gloomy man, Mr Onions!
CMA CGM Debussy is due in tomorrow (some time!)
Here's a question for the Southampton squad; the tanker Propontis is due in tomorrow (Tuesday) and VTS say it is due in from "Nab Anchorage (Steaming).
Looking at AIS, I can see the ship is stooging around to the east of the anchorage (claiming to be "not under command"!).
Why would a vessel choose to just drift around the channel rather than anchor for the night?
Kelvin
(PS I am taking a day off tomorrow so I shall go to Calshot to photograph waves, empty water, sea birds etc)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Hello Kelvin

I thought you'd been quiet on this one.   I look forward to seeing your gloomy pictures of Southampton Water tomorrow, if you're lucky you'll get two regular car boats and a lot of ifs and buts.  Me, I'm staying at home.

If I were a betting man,. I would not put any money on the CMA coming in tomorrow.  Look at the departures - where is she going to berth ?

Seriously though, I have noted recently that many vessels are listed as 'Nab steaming'.......and indeed they are if you look at their AIS traces - in some cases Nab has extended to near Lyme Bay.  But mostly this phenomenon has coincided with heavy weather.   I'm wondering whether there are two reaons for this : 1. for crew comfort - it's less bumpy to be steaming than just rolling about and/or 2. perhaps there is a concern regarding the anchor chain holding in bad weather conditions and its safer to be on the move.   Perhaps one of our Captain members might enlighten us land-lubbers.  

all the best for tomorrow

Allan

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »
OOCL BREMEN has been in and out of Thamesport overnight and is now nearing the Sunk pilot station to disembark pilot and then on to New York. Rgds jw.

Offline laurie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
Thamesport website now showing Cornelius Maersk now due 18.00 Sunday 27 Jan. Presumably a diversion from Southampton

Laurie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk