Author Topic: City of Sunderland aground off Norfolk coast  (Read 7493 times)

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: City of Sunderland aground off Norfolk coast
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »
Noted on AIS LIVE at 2108 utc today this vessel appears to be off the sands and now on a course of 237 at 3.5k in position N52.51.582--E1.43.890-- There appears to be no other assisting ships in the area. Rgds jw.

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »
Adsteam Trimley has given her a helping hand to get off the sand bank.

As usual the press report her as a containership !!!!!!!

City of Sanderland is now clocking 6.5knotts so guess she will be at Teesport by mid morning tomorrow.

Regards

Darren

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »
As usual the press report her as a containership !!!!!!!

Incorrect as it is, it makes a change from the media's usual 'default' setting of 'ferry' or 'tanker'.

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:29 PM »
True, seems they also like to dig up as much dirt as possible, the press reported that this vessel had been aground before some 6 years ago in Scandinavia.  What relevance is that to the current situation.

Maybe we should send them an observers book of ships !!!

Darren

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
City Of Sunderland came into Teesport yesterday evening, 15/01/2008. I hope to catch her leave Teesport.
- Nathan

Offline David

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »
Glad it's ok - it has on a few very rare occasions visited Grimsby. Tut @ press!
Regards

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:07:39 PM »
I heard today that the city of sunderland has been aground again , only this month on the 07/09/2008.A freind , who works on the Tyne tugs said that the ship was leaving the Tyne early one morning a couple of weaks ago with a pilot on board, the pilot said to turn to Port and the ship turned to Starbard !!?? it ended up on the launch ramp at South Shields yacht club with its anchors dropped,it was that shallow that they  were not fully submerged. Two tugs were waiting for a larger car carrier to come into the river  and they proceeded from the north shields fish quay to tow the vessel off the rocks . she then went to the Northumbrian quay for the damage to be assesed, she then sailed that night to a dry dock abroad.

I have went thru the history on "shipsais" and found the day:-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Tyne&hh=7&mm=10&date=20080907

You can sea the tug Svitzer Maltby assiasting the aground vessel , the other tug that helped out was the yarm cross, she has no AIS on her.In this next screen you can see the City os sunderland heading back up the Tyne with the Maltby on the stern, the Yarm Cross would have been on the Bow:-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Tyne&hh=7&mm=30&date=20080907

This is 10 minutes later than the previous screen:-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Tyne&hh=7&mm=40&date=20080907

Correction the tugs had been busy bringing a large car carrier in , here is a screen shot off the ais about 20 minutes  before the accident, you can see 2 tugs at the fish quay at north Shields waiting for the large car carrier inbound , the "Hoegh Kusan":-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Tyne&hh=6&mm=20&date=20080907

I think this must have been quite scarry ,with the city of sunderland aground an the larger car carrier passing:-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Tyne&hh=6&mm=40&date=20080907

Also this is the ships history for that day:-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/shiptrail.php?map=Tyne&mmsi=233150000&date=20080907

you can see her sail then return up the river to the nprthumbrian quay , then later that night she sails.

Can anyone in the Tyne area cofirm this also?

regards

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
Hi Brian

Yes it is true - the evening it happened was very foggy and I have seen some photographs of the City of Sunderland lying across the river.

Regards

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »
Hi Steve , It was in the morning when it happened, also lokking at the AIS screens , it seems to me to be true, also there was a payout to the tugs crews for salvage thou no were near to what they got for the KOS.

Were are your photos of this? are they on your site or this one?

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Hi Brian

OK - I must have been misled by the dark photographs - it was Richard Athey who took the photographs, as he is a member here he might be able to send you a copy of the photographs?

I didn't realise the Tug crews received salvage payments in these situations!

Regards

Offline rathey

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Tyneships
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »
Hi Brian

I was on the Fish Quay in the fog that morning for the Hoegh Kunsan and did get some photos of the incident. Was also listening to it all on the radio. Pretty much as you described and pretty tight to get the Kunsan through the gap. Lucky the tugs were there at all really. The Kunsan went to WHP as she could not be swung for TCT1 with just the one remaining available tug.

Want me to send them to your Email address on this site?

Richard.

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »
Hi Steve , yes they always get a share of the salvage award, some not as good as others , depends on a lot of factors on what amount they get they get.The KOS was a good payout in my opinion.

Richard please send me the photos and I will pass them on to the lad i got the info off.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:22 AM »

cawky wrote:
Hi Steve , yes they always get a share of the salvage award, some not as good as others , depends on a lot of factors on what amount they get they get.The KOS was a good payout in my opinion.

Richard please send me the photos and I will pass them on to the lad i got the info off.

Hi Brian

Just been reading up on 'Salvage Law' - or at least the WRECK AND SALVAGE ACT 2004. - interesting to say the least. I wonder how much value the City of Sunderland would be when fully loaded with Nissan vehicles?

I assume that the crew of the Tugs get a cut from the salvage fee (reward) with the major part going to Svitzer  :-)

20 Criteria for fixing reward for salvage operations
(1) The reward for a salvage operation must, subject to subsection (2), be fixed with a view to encouraging salvage operations, taking into account the following criteria without regard to the order in which they are set out below:
(a) The salved value of the ship and other property;
(b) the skill and efforts of the salvor in preventing or minimising damage
to the environment;
(c) the measure of success obtained by the salvor;
(d) the nature and degree of the danger;
(e) the skill and efforts of the salvor in salving the ship, other property and
life;
(f) the time used and expenses and losses incurred by the salvor;
(g) the risk of liability and other risks run by the salvor or his or her
equipment;
(h) the promptness of the salvage services rendered;
(i) the availability and use of ships or other equipment intended for
salvage operations;
(j) the state of readiness and efficiency of the salvor's equipment and the
value thereof.
(2) No reward, exclusive of any interest and recoverable

By the way - this is from the Svitzer web site for the previous incident:

SVITZER Salvage refloats grounded City of Sunderland
Published: 2008-01-15

SVITZER Salvage refloats grounded vehicle carrier City of Sunderland

Monday 14th , the vehicle carrier City of Sunderland, loaded with 642 cars,   ran aground on Happisburgh Sands, Norfolk, UK.  SVITZER Salvage team and  SVITZER tugs SVITZER TIMLEY and GREY TEST were mobilised. In close co-operation with MCA and owners a salvage plan has been set up. No pollution  has been reported.  SVITZER Salvage succeeded to refloat the City of Sunderland  succesfully at the first attempt Tuesday 15th

Regards

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
Hi Steve ,
The salvage gets shared out between 18 men, there is 3 tugs and each has a three man crew (9 men) and they work a weak on and a weak off so in total each tug has 2 crews of 3 men  and there is 3 tugs = 18 men.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk