Author Topic: MV Ice Prince cargo shifted.  (Read 18325 times)

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: MV Ice Prince cargo shifted.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »
again,what a desaster in the english channel.might be a lot of timber and lub oil in the next few days on the english coast.....
it seems to be a stability case,as it looks on the pictures and videos. :oops:

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:42 AM »
What happens next?
Presumably Ice Prince wreck is a hazard to shipping, and right in the westbound segregated traffic lane. Someone has to organise it's removal, and the sooner the better.
David

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
With a minimum depth of 46,8 m the wreck poses no hazard to shipping, MCGA said. Today a full survey of the wreck site will be carried out today by the Irish Lights vessel "Granuaile". Plans for the recovery of oil and cargo from the wreck are being developed by the owners, however the recovery may prove technically difficult. Currently no new timber has surfaced, but a sheen of oil is coming from the wreck and is currently dispersing within three miles.
The timber is reported to be grouped in rafts, spread over an area 10 miles in length. The bundles are breaking up into individual pieces, which represent less risk to small vessels. Coastguards continue to broadcast safety warnings to shipping. Small vessels are also being advised to avoid the area. Coastguards expect timber may start washing ashore over the next few days, and is likely to stretch along the south coast, eastwardly from Beachy Head. The owners/insurers have appointed a company called DRS as contractors to arrange for recovery of timber washed ashore.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
Hi All

Just heard on the BBC News that the cargo of timber is now washing up on the South Coast of the UK - 'Whiskey Galore' time again with reports of the cargo of wooden planks being taken away by members of thew public, this despite warning from the Police that this is a criminal act  :-o

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Ulrik Gamskj

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »
How can they when bee alowed to load deck cargo ....Agin then she is not fit for that sort of loading .....????I dar to ask my self if we not aging is seeing one of manny cases were ship inspectores is beeing payed to abrowe vessels despite the trobels were may acure .....
Life is like a travel you can always see and lean more  :-D

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:26 PM »
Just heard on the BBC News that the cargo of timber is now washing up on the South Coast of the UK - 'Whiskey Galore' time again with reports of the cargo of wooden planks being taken away by members of thew public, this despite warning from the Police that this is a criminal act

Apparently the wood has caused ships to be stuck in Sandown Bay because the pilot boats can't get out to them to take them up to Southampton (although the crane accident at SCT is probably a reason for the ships not getting into the port?) and the Wightlink Fastcats between Portsmouth and Ryde not to run today.

I see on the BBC news that idiots are wading out and going out in small boats to gather up the wood - bearing in mind the less-than-calm weather conditions, that strikes me as crass stupidity, just for a bit of timber. I hope it's not going to be another looting situation, despite warnings, as it's British people at their worst.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »

Shipimages wrote:
Apparently the wood has caused ships to be stuck in Sandown Bay because the pilot boats can't get out to them to take them up to Southampton (although the crane accident at SCT is probably a reason for the ships not getting into the port?) and the Wightlink Fastcats between Portsmouth and Ryde not to run today.

I see on the BBC news that idiots are wading out and going out in small boats to gather up the wood - bearing in mind the less-than-calm weather conditions, that strikes me as crass stupidity, just for a bit of timber. I hope it's not going to be another looting situation, despite warnings, as it's British people at their worst.

Don't know if anyone caught the TV program on UK BBC2 called 'Wreckers' in the Timewatch series which was shown this week, but it appears that the British have a fine tradition of 'reaping from the sea'  :-o
Check out - http://open2.net/timewatch/2008/wreckers.html
BTW, have you seen the price of wood these days!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »
Don't know if anyone caught the TV program on UK BBC2 called 'Wreckers' in the Timewatch series which was shown this week, but it appears that the British have a fine tradition of 'reaping from the sea

We do, indeed, have a tradition of picking bits up from wrecks. In fact some of my ancestors were actual wreckers (and smugglers) at Chale Bay, Isle of Wight. Not something to be proud of...  :-o

I went out and looked at the container ships queueing in Sandown Bay which is maybe more to do with the accident at SCT than pilots not being able to get out to them because of wood floating about - a tanker, British Robin, came into the Solent with no problem.

Offline Bunts

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
Very large amounts of the timber is now coming ashore on the beach at Worthing, some stacks are 0ver 30 feet high, although the beach is now closed to the public by Police and Coastguards, some of the timber is still being stolen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk