Author Topic: Port Of Tyne - Trip Report  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Port Of Tyne - Trip Report
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:08:15 PM »
Hi all, i went to the Tyne this weekend - 12/01/2008. I thought i would let you all know how it went.

It was low tide, but thankfully the vessels can still navigate the Tyne. The weather was good and there were plenty of vantage points. First of all, I seen a the tug 'Osprey Fighter' which was sailing down river soon to return a hour later. Then HMS Quorn came in, soon followed by the City Of Rome. There was a two hour time gap before the next vessel, so i decided to go explore to other spotting points around South Sheilds. I was taking images from the CUSTOMS HOUSE, which is based right on the riverside. No more than 100 yards down there is a floating
dock where the small Tyne ferries dock up, which sail from one side to the other. Further down, toward the sea there is a little red light house which is good for images, weather permitting. I sooned returned to my origional spot next to the Tyne ferries. There you can see many vessels in dock, like the platform, Northern Producer and the passenger vessel, Queen Of Scandinaiva. There i seen the Hoegh Tropicana depart with the tugs Yarm Cross and Svitzer Maltby assisting. Hoegh Tropper was due in at 15:30 but there was no movement so i just called it a day. There was a quite a few trawlers returning about 15:45 from the bay. There is plenty of shelter around if the weather were to turn bad, i would definatly return to The Port Of Tyne agian for the day. Its definatly a good place to visit. If you want advice, directions etc. Talk to 'Ellwood', Steve is the expert in that area.

VESSELS SEEN:
Hoegh Tropicana
Svitzer Maltby
Rowangarth
Yarm Cross
City Of Rome
TWM Reclaim
Pomorye
HMS Quorn
Norman Forster
Osprey Fighter
Northern Producer
Queen Of Scandinavia
Pride Of The Tyne
Sheildsman
Spirit Of The Tyne
Ticino
Beverly Ann
ML 15
OB 223

- Regards, Nathan

Offline Douglas Cromby

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Port Of Tyne - Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »
Hello Nathan,
This is an interesting report.  I should add that that the Groyne is a good place to photograph ships entering the port, especially when sunny as the sun is behind you. Better still is at the end of South Shields pier if you can face the walk.
Best regards,
Douglas.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
Hi Nathan

Good report, just a shame that the traffic on the Tyne wasn't very high yesterday but at least the weather was good  8-)

To anyone thinking about coming to the Tyne, check out the Port of Tyne Movement Schedules which can be seen @ http://www.portoftyneonline.co.uk/harbour/expected_shipping.asp
and of course we now have AIS coverage via the excellent services of Cawky.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:56:46 AM »

cromby wrote:
Hello Nathan,
This is an interesting report.  I should add that that the Groyne is a good place to photograph ships entering the port, especially when sunny as the sun is behind you. Better still is at the end of South Shields pier if you can face the walk.
Best regards,
Douglas.

Hi Douglas

Yes the Tyne is one of those places that you have to take into account all sorts of tings such as angles of approach and height advantage as well as the thing that faces all photographers the low sun in the Winter!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
Hi Steve/Douglas, yes, i really enjoyed it. Unfortuanatly the traffic was low, but the size and feature of each vessel made it up!
- Nathan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk