Author Topic: Fred Olsen - Braemar  (Read 8821 times)

Fred Olsen - Braemar
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:33:42 AM »
I see that the Braemar is to be lengthened by 31 metres next year to increase overall capacity by some 250 passengers.  Their new ship, the current Norwegian Crown is currently being refitted to turn it into Balmoral.  This too includes lengthening by 30 m.  Both Boudicca and Black Watch have also been lengthened. How common is this practice generally among cruise ships? Which other ships have been lengthened?

David

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
Re: Fred Olsen - Braemar
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »
Hi David,

Some of the cruise ships which have been lengthened, which quickly come to mind:

The Royal Viking trio built in Helsinki in the 1970's (including also Black Watch and Boudicca), lengthened already in the 1980's, the third sister is the ALBATROS.

others:

COSTA EUROPA
ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS
NORWEGIAN DREAM

By the way, the mid-section for Norwegian Crown/Balmoral arrived at Blohm+Voss a couple of days ago and the ship is expected there on November 15.

Kind rgds,
Aleksi

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
Thanks Aleksi.  Are there any webcams of the yard? Perhaps someone will post photos of it while it is there?  

Regards

David

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Hi again David,

I'm 100% sure the friendly shipspotters from Hamburg will post many photos of her when she arrives there.

You can see the yard from these webcams, at least:

http://www.corporate-planning.com/d/pages/cam/hafenhamburg30.php
http://www.vanderzalm.de/M1/m1test.jpg

All the best,
Aleksi

Offline Johnny Holmen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »
Among the first cruiseships that was lenghtened, was the Song of Norway and the Nordic Prince, two ships of the ever first trio of cruiseships that was delivered to the then newly established Royal Carribean Cruise Lines.

These two ships are still in use for other operators, no named Dream and Arielle.

The method was developed as a quick measure to increase capacity compared with building new tonnage, since the new mid-section is ready at the time the ship is sliced in two at the yard.

This method has also been used to increase capacity on a couple of ferries, among these Prinsess Ragnhild and Peter Wessel currently operated by Color Line.

Offline Ben Backstay

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »
One of the problems with lenthening cruise ships for extra cabin capacity was that no thought was given for increasing passenger facilities eg. food outlets etc. This meant longer queues and overcrowding on the older ships. I found this is the case on the Norwegian Dream.
Lengthening projects these days tend to take this problem into account and improve passenger facilities at the same time.
A good example of this is the recent jumboising of Stena Britannica & Hollandica. I think they have put in extra restaurants and bars.

Offline Aad Hoogesteger

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:21 PM »
The lengthening of Enchantment of the Seas was done near my place.

You can see pictures I made and I got from some nice people at http://www.aadhoogesteger.nl/cruiseschepen/verlengingenchantmentoftheseas.html

Aad

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »
What amazing pictures - thank you.

Offline locarno

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
Hi,
the webcams show B&V DD 11, at the moment in dock Ferry from Smyril line's ms Norr

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
Hi Locarno,

Yes I know that very well, unfortunately there are no cams where the Dock 17 could be seen.

Cheers,
Aleksi

Will

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
Also Norwegian Majesty and Norwegian Wind (now Superstar Aquarius)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk