Author Topic: SS Mauretania to be Rebuilt at Swan Hunters Wallsend on Tyne Yard  (Read 1703 times)

Hi All

This piece from the Lloyd's List Online made me smile:

Kroese's plan to rebuild Mauretania runs into a brick wall

Nigel Green - Friday 12 October 2007

THE owner of the Swan Hunter shipyard has floated a bizarre idea

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: SS Mauretania to be Rebuilt at Swan Hunters Wallsend on Tyne Yard
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
I often wonder if some of the do gooders on 'One North East' and the 'Council' have ever been to the Tyneside.

If they think shipbuilding can still re-start in the future, which future?? or which planet?

I suggest they quickly pop down to to the river as I am just about to put some pictures on the 'Ships Nostalgia' site I took today of 'cranes distmantling cranes!!
Where? Swan Hunters of coarse!

:-?
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »
Hi Mike

Well I suppose they have to be seen as making the right noises - It makes you wonder what may have been if Swans had gone down the route of ship dismantling, after all they had the necessary license. We may have seen the Ghost Ships on the Tyne rather than the Tees  :-o

It will be interesting to see how the ex Swans cranes are transported to India.

I think at the end of the day we will see yet more "Luxury Apartments" being built on the site of the former ship yard with Mr Kroese making a bob or two from the deal :-x

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »
I heard that some of the cranes may go to India in the floating dock that is still at Swans,(see my pictures on Ships Nostalgia)Our friend Mr Kroese probably sold that as well!.
I counted no less than six big mobiles at Swans today dismantling the Swans cranes.
 :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk