Author Topic: Teesport Ghost Ship Plans, Revised! (Decision Put Back)  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Teesport Ghost Ship Plans, Revised! (Decision Put Back)
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »
Hello people, just to let you all know. A few years ago, 4 ships came into Teesport from America, they were planned to be scrapped by the company 'Able' but when the ships arrived, the plans were decline. Now councillors are going to revise plans for the ships scrapping. If all goes well, 'Able' may be allowed to dismantle up to 13 ships.
See the full story, here.

Hello everyone, just to let you all know, on bbc, the decision on weather or not to go through with the detroying of the Ghost Ships, has been put back. See the story, here.

Regards, N.Hobday

Re: Teesport Ghost Ship Plans, Revised!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:04 PM »
Hi Nathan

I'm sure I read a while ago that owing to the delays and the adverse publicity the contract to demolish the remaining US Ghosts Ships was cancelled. I'm sure that the Tuxedo Royale is also in Greythorpe, no doubt awaiting scrapping also.

BTW, there are some photograph of the Ghost Ships arriving @
http://daverob.catalyst2.com/GhostShips/GhostShips.html

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »
Some good shots on there Steve, some of them tug names are strange to me! Never seen any one of them besides Phoenix Cross!
Chees, Nathan.

Offline JMB

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mbriscoe/StChristopher.htm
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
There was some talk of breaking them up at Nigg.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
Up at the 'Nigg' :lol:
I hope the plans do not fall through, as i wish to see more come to Teesport.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Some good shots on there Steve, some of them tug names are strange to me! Never seen any one of them besides Phoenix Cross!
Chees, Nathan.

Hi Nathan

Suhaili appears to have been the Tug that brought at least one of the US Ships over the Pond. Good photograph of her by Frans @ http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=454043

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
I would of thought they would have put a lager tug on her, like Maersk Advancer, or somthing of that size. She looks quite small compared to some!

Re: Teesport Ghost Ship Plans, Revised! (Decision Put Back)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 07:14:40 AM »
Hi All

Latest on this long running saga - permission has now been given to the demolition of the US Ghost Ships on Teeseide - this from the BBC web site @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7062714.stm

'Ghost ship' scrap plans approved
Plans to scrap so-called US "ghost ships" on Teesside have finally been approved - four years after the first vessel arrived.
In 2003, Hartlepool-based Able UK won a contract with the US Government to dismantle up to 13 vessels.

Four ships arrived later that year, but planning and environmental delays prevented any work taking place.

On Thursday, Hartlepool Council gave conditional approval to revised planning applications from the firm.

Able UK denied claims the vessels were an environmental danger and could leak toxic waste into the area around the company's Graythorp facility, which is rich in wildlife.

Strict monitoring

But opposition from environmentalists prompted Hartlepool Council to refuse planning permission.

But the firm launched an appeal and a public inquiry into the plans is ongoing.

However, after Hartlepool Council admitted that fresh government policy meant it could no longer block planning permission, the applications were resubmitted.

Now, the authority has approved the plans, but have insisted on a strict monitoring regime.

The company will also have to obtain additional licences from the Environment Agency and Defra.

Welcoming the decision, Able UK chief executive Peter Stephenson said: "In many respects today is a cause for celebration, because it means that at last we can move ahead with our plans to clinch major construction contracts which can bring around 1,500 jobs to the area over the next two years.

"At the same time I feel a huge sense of regret that this project has been delayed for so long."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/tees/7062714.stm

Published: 2007/10/25 18:11:30 GMT

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »
From the news today When they finally get to scrap them or if they scrap them due to the time they have been there they will most probably just 'fall apart! :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
Yeah i heard that two! I wounder if this will allow them to bring the others over. At least i think thats what they were planning.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Yeah i heard that two! I wounder if this will allow them to bring the others over. At least i think thats what they were planning.

Hi Nathan

I'm sure I read that the original contract had been torn up and that the ships that were due to follow wouldn't - time will tell and I would imagine that if the facility exists in the UK it will be used!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
Lets hope so! Always wanted to get some shots of the 'ghosts' come in!

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 07:14:41 PM »
Hi Steve
           On one TV news they said there was multi million pound investment on a new drydock reported as the biggest in the world!
For what? the Tees is not deep enough to take the biggest tankers.
Then one said in the morning  for 'offshore oilrig building',
Then in the evening news for 'scrapping ships'.
You do not need a huge dock to scrap ships, in India the beach is enough!
US navy did cancel original contract.
But never is a funny word!.
I do not care what they do as long as it brings jobs for the lads in North east! :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »
Hi Mike

I've just been reading that the US Authorities who agreed the contract are under investigation to establish if they were in violation of US environmental laws. Must say I always wondered if the 'hope' was that the Ghost Ships would be caught in a mid Atlantic storm and sink, thus alleviating the problem  :-(

If Able UK do go ahead with the demolition and I have no doubt they will, that they will be so highly scrutinised that perhaps it wont after all be financially viable.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »
Hang on a second, are you saying you heard one of the worlds largest drydocks will be built here at Teesport, plus a oilrig yard?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk