Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2 40 th Birthday Cruise  (Read 23027 times)

Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 40 th Birthday Cruise
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 09:33:32 AM »

cawky wrote:
Hi John ,
looks like the QE2 made good progress overnight , just found her the liverpool AIS site :-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/currentmap.php?map=NorthEast

Brian

Hi Brian

Hopefully the person who usually provides the AIS feed for the Tees to the Tyne will be back on line shortly - not a "good" time to be off air!

This is the timetable for the QE2 and its good to see she is on time:

11.15 - Flamborough Head, Yorkshire
12.00 - Scarborough
13.00 - Whitby
14.00 - Tees Bay (Redcar/Hartlepool)
15.00 - Sunderland
15.30 - Whitley Bay
16.30 - Tynemouth

17.00 is the time that she is meant to commence her journey into the Tyne

Weathers looking ok at the moment provided the rain keeps off - slight wind but nothing to prevent the QE2's entry.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 09:52:36 AM »
Heres hoping she comes in early at 19:00 not 19:30, but 10 guesses that it will be late again and I won't get 1 decent picture.
I hate the Queen of Scandinavia's timetable now, I cannot wait till October when it comes in twice a week in the afternoon. :-)
But thats too late, I won't see the QE2 in October. :-(  :-D

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »

KevinSmall wrote:
Snipped..

Hi Kevin

Well you WILL see the QE2 in October - but that will be 2008 when she makes her final visit  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »

Ellwood wrote:

KevinSmall wrote:
Snipped..

Hi Kevin

Well you WILL see the QE2 in October - but that will be 2008 when she makes her final visit  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

True.  :-D

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »
Hi ,

It looks like the QE2 had a good gallop this morning at 10:18 :-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/shiptrail.php?mmsi=232089000

over 25 Knots at 40 year old, not bad !!

Cawky

PS this AIS site seems quite up to date:-

http://aisfree.aislive.com/Influx.aspx?Map=Newcastle%20Overview

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »
I'm not happy what so ever, I waited 3 hours for it to come in and it only has just came in now!

Unfortunately I cannot get any photos now as the Queen leaves at 11 but I will get my cousin to take some tomorrow. :-(

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
Hi All

Just a quick report back on the eventual arrival of the QE2 to the Port of Tyne (North East England).

Owing to wind conditions the QE2 made four attempts to enter the Tyne, succeeding on her fourth attempt. The ship was due to enter the Tyne at 17.00 but eventually managed the job at 19.00. Luckily by that time the gray skies, winds and occasional rain showers had passed and we were left to see her  glide in illuminated by the setting dusk sun.

Marvellous sight to behold, first time in the Tyne and a first for me, never having seen her before.

A great reception, firewotks, horns and a very large crowd - well into the 100.000's that I predicted earlier today.

Hope to start posting some photographs after having my dinner :-)

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
I will keep a eye open for them steve.
You would be suprised how many people flocked to Redcar seafront to see her. Even more up the south gare, had to park right down past paddys cove and walk up. Alot of dissapointment as she sailed by on the horizon. Not even close. She never even paused!

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
I will keep a eye open for them steve.
You would be suprised how many people flocked to Redcar seafront to see her. Even more up the south gare, had to park right down past paddys cove and walk up. Alot of dissapointment as she sailed by on the horizon. Not even close. She never even paused!

Hi Nathan

Sorry to hear that - it sounded from the fact that a small flotilla was to sail out to her from Hartlepool that it would at least be pausing in Tees Bay. Di you mange any photographs or was she too far away?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »

KevinSmall wrote:
I'm not happy what so ever, I waited 3 hours for it to come in and it only has just came in now!

Unfortunately I cannot get any photos now as the Queen leaves at 11 but I will get my cousin to take some tomorrow. :-(

Hi Kevin

Nice to see that the captain of the Princess of Norway went out of his way to take his passengers and ship well off course to get a sight of the QE2 when she came out of the Tyne on her way to Imjuiden - even stopped the ship to get a better view  :-)

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 08:10:37 PM »
Yes i got one picture, but still she is only regoniseable by her red funnel, to be ohnest she was that far out she looked like any other ship. Of course i didnt keep the picture. There was that little boat, but she managed to keep up with the QE2 as she didnt stop.

As for the HMS Ark Royal, god knows what happend to her. Knowing my luck she will of sunk off saltburn.

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 08:17:10 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Yes i got one picture, but still she is only regoniseable by her red funnel, to be ohnest she was that far out she looked like any other ship. Of course i didnt keep the picture. There was that little boat, but she managed to keep up with the QE2 as she didnt stop.

As for the HMS Ark Royal, god knows what happend to her. Knowing my luck she will of sunk off saltburn.

Hi Nathan

Oddly enough there was a Royal Naval vessel, looked like a Fisheries Protection Squadron Patrol Ship, with QE2 when she was off Whitley Nay but seemed to quickly depart. Don't suppose anyone knows who she was?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »
Hi All

This from The Shields Gazette web site @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/QE2-visit-was-minutes-from.3205490.jp

"QE2 visit was minutes from being abandoned by DAVID MacLEAN

THE arrival of the QE2 was just minutes from being cancelled after the liner was battered by strong winds.
Winds of up to 20 knotts whipped across the sea, causing the ship's Captain to consider abandoning the visit at the final moment.
Crowds watched nervously as the liner made three failed attempts to enter the Tyne, turning away at the last moment over fears she could smash into the South pier.
With the tide set to turn at 7pm, Captain D. W. Perkins agreed to make one last attempt to enter the Tyne at the winds died down.
If it had failed, the liner was set to carry on its journey to Scotland, without stopping in the north east.
After one more achingly slow turning circle, the ship finally managed to make it up the Tyne to the joy of the crowds on either side of the river.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 08:34:23 PM »
Fisheries, never seen one of then in a long time, many years ago i remember them checking every single fishing boat that was coasting redcar.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Fisheries, never seen one of then in a long time, any years ago i remember them checking every single fishing boat that was coasting redcar.

Hi Nathan

I don't mean the "local" Fisheries Protection boats (we have one here in North Shields - St Oswald- http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=351178) but the Royal Navy Patrol Ships, such as HMS Severn etc - check out:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6237

Regards

Steve Ellwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk