Author Topic: Smiths Dock! Do they know where it is??  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Smiths Dock! Do they know where it is??
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »
I see from 'Expected shipping' into the Tyne on the 20th is the 'Fast Sam' shown due for 'Smiths Dock'!
Smiths docks has not seen a ship for years as it has unfortunatly been derelict.
The only 'Fast Sam' I know is a little coaster, she is coming from Moerdijk in Holland which is a chemical plant industrial area!.
Fast Sam is down to sail again the 21st so she's not hanging about,hence the name 'Fast Sam'
I hope she does not try one of the Smiths drydocks the gates are sunk below the surface!

Mike :-(
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Re: Smiths Dock! Do they know where it is??
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:52 PM »
Hi Mike

Now I wonder - Tyne Marine were working on the Smith's Dock gates in the last week  or so - perhaps we are about to see the re-emergence of ship repairing in North Shields     :lol:

More likely to be something being either delivered or collected from the site prior to its transformation into a myriad of yet more riverside Luxury Apartments!

I cannot see the PTA making an error on their movements schedules?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
Hi Steve
           They started to survey Smiths some weeks ago,but sadley not for ship repairs.
I was told the Duke of Northumberland bought Smiths some years ago (for the land) and then for a 'few pounds profit' years later sold it to a housing developent company.
They sure will get some houses on all that space!.
I am in Turkey (working) next week on the 20th so it would be good for one of our local 'shipspotters' to just see where 'Fast Sam' does moor.
Mike   :pint:
Mike

Offline kevin blair

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:57 AM »
Fast Sam is due at Smiths Quay to discharge pipes that are to be used to pile the quay frontage for a new housing development.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »

kevin wrote:
Fast Sam is due at Smiths Quay to discharge pipes that are to be used to pile the quay frontage for a new housing development.

Hi Kevin

Pulse and finger springs to mind  :-o

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
Hello Kevin
What you say makes sence, as I said before they have been carring out survey work for the last few weeks now.
I heard the groundwork will take at least a year before they even start to build.
Mike :-)
Mike

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
'Fast Sam' just got faster and is now due 6.59 Sunday morning the 19th !

Mike

Offline kevin blair

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:47:18 PM »
Hi Mike,
I should think the ground will take a fair bit of clearing. I worked at Smith's from 1970 till 1980 and how i wish i was taking photos in those days. I always thought it was good yard to work in and the "natives" were always very friendly to us "foreigners" from tutherside of the river. I made some good friends during my time there and had many a good night out at Chirton and King Street workingmens clubs.

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
Hello Kevin
            Good to hear from you,Being born in South Shield I also visited North Shield as a 'foreigner' but nights out were to the 'Jungle Bar' by the ferry landing.
I spent many a Saturday night sleeping on the ferry landing after missing the last ferry.
That was until I realised one night in my slightly hazzed mind at that time of night it was not seagulls I could hear running about but the rats!

Mike :pint:
Mike

Offline kevin blair

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
Oh brother, do i have a few tales i could tell about the Jungle. I was in there one Friday night, upstairs in the dance room, with 4 strippers who had to be driven to Newcastle by myself at 01:00am next morning to catch a train to Bristol where they were due to leap out of some old guys birthday cake. One of my many part time jobs was driving these girls and i have to say it was one of the most enjoyable jobs i've ever had.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:19:42 PM »

Tynesider wrote:
Hello Kevin
What you say makes sence, as I said before they have been carring out survey work for the last few weeks now.
I heard the groundwork will take at least a year before they even start to build.

Hi Mike

Safety standards and the fact that this is a brown field site - heavily polluted with all sorts of oils and metals will certainly mean a lot of ground clearance on the former North Tyne Shiptards before even the first house (sorry luxury apartment) is built  :-o

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »
Hi Mike

The Port Schedules now have her arriving at A&P (TYNE) N.SHIELDS WEST QY - must be the "posh" name for Smith's Dock  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk