Author Topic: MoD confirms  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Bruce Sutherland

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MoD confirms
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:07:34 PM »
"Defence Secretary Des Browne has confirmed orders for two new aircraft carriers for the Royal Navy."

See The full article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6914788.stm

Good news for the family of these ship builders.

Re: MoD confirms
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
Hi Bruce

From a disgruntled Tyneside which lost its Ship Building industry owing to HM Governments feet dragging on these contracts - well done to the Clyde.

Of course it has nothing to do with both the Prime Minister and Minister of Defence being Scots  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Bruce Sutherland

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:13:23 PM »
:lol:  Ah, But the last prime minister was scottish too.. He didn't do anything to help.

Offline Allan Mears

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »
Don't forget that VT in Portsmouth are getting 2 large chunks of carrier. That will keep us busy for a few years.
Thanks Gordon
Allan (Eurag)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:41:49 PM »

eurag wrote:
Don't forget that VT in Portsmouth are getting 2 large chunks of carrier. That will keep us busy for a few years.
Thanks Gordon

Hi Alan

Yes good luck to Southampton, Barrow, Glasgow and Rosyth. It's just a shame that it didn't come along quickly enough for  Swan Hunters who were pinning their hopes of a share of the spoils for survivial  :-?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
All very interesting !!!!! Do we as a nation have enough warplanes left to justify the vast expense on TWO aircraft carriers ?????? Do we have enough sailors left in service to man TWO such large vessels ????

Offline Crennis

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/shippics/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »
Great news that these ships have finally been ordered, i thought i would be old and grey before replacements for the invincibles came into service. I agree that its far too late and the government has alot to answer for in destroying the industry of the Tyne.
We need two ships more than ever, in my opinion three is too few when you consider refits and various taskings especially with one carrier (Ark Royal) turned over to amphibious duties.

The MOD has for many years been talking about building a "second HMS Ocean" so that an invincible doesnt need to step in when she is unavailable. Does anyone reckon it would be feasible to retrofit one of the remaining Invincible class to take on this role, I'm sure installing new machinery would be cheaper than building a new ship from scratch, especially considering Ark Royal is already part way towards being a commando carrier at the moment.

regards
Crennis :-o

Offline Bruce Sutherland

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:27:50 PM »
I remember seeing that each or maybe it was between them they would have 36 Navalised F35's. Along with the other aircraft that it would have ie the Merlin etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk