Author Topic: MSC Napoli to be refloated (maybe)  (Read 13325 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
MSC Napoli to be refloated (maybe)
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:53:20 AM »
Today, 9 July, attempts are to be made to refloat the MSC Napoli.
The MCA is making use of a window in the weather to get divers down to make a thorough assessment of damage to the hull and to get the ship off the beach.
If they are successful, they plan to keep the Napoli moored in Branscombe Bay until a final decision is made on the ship's disposal.
BBC story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6282296.stm
Kelvin

Offline jnrawdon

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: MSC Napoli to be refloated (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:04:18 AM »
1000hrs, BBC reported that she has been refloated

Offline Alan Smillie

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://ships-boats-craft.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »
Been watch also Sky News live reports of the "MSC Napoli" refloating operation, looking very good.
Noticed on Lloyds MIU AIS system that the vessels on location are :- Union Beaver, Smit Bronco, Smit Bever, RT Magic & Maersk Advancer.

Regards Alan.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »
The ship is floating free and has been anchored in 500 metres distance to the grounding position for inspections.
News on bbc.co.uk.
photos of the salvage on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/image_galleries/napoli_refloat_gallery.shtml?1

Offline Alan Smillie

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://ships-boats-craft.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »
Also larger sized pictures at the MCA site

Maritime Coastguard Agency. "digital image library"

Regards Alan.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »
Divers were preparing to survey the damaged hull of the container ship MSC NAPOLI which was refloated six months after she was grounded off holiday beaches.The MSC Napoli is now floating at anchor over a mile off Sidmouth on the east Devon World Heritage Coast. The team of 20 underwater experts are due to begin a days-long inspection of the vessel to assess her structural integrity. Before this temporary repairs were carried out to cracks in the sides of the hull. But a crack on the bottom of the hull will now be assessed by the experts. The MSC Napoli will be stabilised before the diving teams begin their work, and their findings will help towards a decision for the final disposal of the vessel. The operation followed the removal
of the last of the containers from the Napoli's water filled holds on May 24. A battery of 37 huge pumps on July 9 began pumping 58,000 tonnes of water out of the vessel at low water - 7am. At 9.08 am the vessel was floating once again, and by 10.20am the salvage tug "Maersk Advancer" had towed the Napoli 500 metres into deeper water to lay at anchor. Anti-pollution vessels dispersed a small amount of oil - understood to be around two tonnes- that leaked from the vessel during the operation.

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
I have just seen some close ups of the Napoli - they dont look good. Not much chance of her being repaired so I guess its another one destined to become razor blades.

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »
"Anti-pollution vessels dispersed a small amount of oil - understood to be around two tonnes- that leaked from the vessel during the operation."

This is something I just don't understand; they've been skimming oil in all the accessible spaces in that ship now, for *months*, in calm seas.  WHY is there that much oil still loose in her?? :-?

I wonder if that was all trapped in the mud under her??
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline force4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 05:07:04 PM »
the union beaver did a small amount of dispersant laying for a very small spill of about 500 litres of light sheen and 200 litres of heavier crude that came from the boat as she was refloated - it was a non event in the scale of the operation - certainly not 2 tonnes of oil - im involved....

as more info goes public i will be able to expand a bit on the info - but expect some news before Friday that will see a major change.......  :-?

Offline ng1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
The MCGA has announced the Napoli will be re-beached in shallower waters on this afternoon's high tide.  Cracks in the hull were found to be over 3m wide and as such it has been determined the vessel is incapable of being towed.

How will they get rid of it?  Can you cut up a ship of this size in the same way the Tricolor was disposed of?  Presumably a big pay day for the salvors.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 03:43:27 PM »

ng1 wrote:
The MCGA has announced the Napoli will be re-beached in shallower waters on this afternoon's high tide.  Cracks in the hull were found to be over 3m wide and as such it has been determined the vessel is incapable of being towed.

How will they get rid of it?  Can you cut up a ship of this size in the same way the Tricolor was disposed of?  Presumably a big pay day for the salvors.

Hi ng1

From what I understand the options were either to tow it to Scandinavia for demolition or tow it out to sea and scuttle it in the deep - looks like it will be the latter then  :-?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline ng1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
Steve,

That is what I thought but the decision to re-beach at high tide futher north (i.e. inshore) and shollower water than she was beached before - especially as it is currently spring tides - suggests they don't plan to move her again.  If scuttling was the option would you not just tow her out without the risking the additional hull stress created by beaching and refloating causing further structural weakening?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »

ng1 wrote:
Steve,

That is what I thought but the decision to re-beach at high tide futher north (i.e. inshore) and shollower water than she was beached before - especially as it is currently spring tides - suggests they don't plan to move her again.  If scuttling was the option would you not just tow her out without the risking the additional hull stress created by beaching and refloating causing further structural weakening?

Hi ng1

In light of the following Press Release you may well be correct in suggesting that the only way out is to demolish her on the beach - touches of Alang here!

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has released the following information to media:

Press Notice No: 226_0712 July 2007

MSC NAPOLI TO BE BEACHED ON HIGH TIDE LATE THIS AFTERNOON

The Secretary of State

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
According to this BBC report, the crack extends right round the hull and the ship is practically in two bits:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6895899.stm

Personally I hope she isn't just sunk, because it would be a waste of steel. Being scrapped in situ is the most likely option because of the sensitive location and because recycling is the most sensible - in my opinion - option.

Offline force4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »
The crack does extend from 1 mtr below deck height all around - starboard side is worse - where you can see into engine room, crack is 2 mtr in front of accomodation block ..... best option - pull the front off from the split- tow away - cut up accomodation block in situ - if the environmentalists let the job go ahead without interuption then it could all be gone within a couple of months - but if people start playing silly buggers and hold up the job then whop knows......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk