Author Topic: It's got taller! but do you know why?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
It's got taller! but do you know why?
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
Reading the other news post about the Princess of Norway I was also looking at the North Shields web cam yesterday.

Look at the tower crane on the right on the other side of the river at the Aker yard (Ex Readheads),is it me or has the tower crane got higher?

I sailed passed it this afternoon out of interest and I am sure it has been heightend, 'but for what', is something realy  big about to come the river?

Anything that bring jobs for the lads is always welcome!

By the way for our Dutch friends incase you come over and drive off the ferry the Queen and Princess of Norway do not actualy sail from Ijmuiden to 'Newcastle' as stated, you will have to settle for 'North Shields' which is
'9 mile' down river from Newcastle!,Just follow the signs!. :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
Re: It's got taller! but do you know why?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
Hi Tynesider,
Yes on the wecam it does look taller,I shall drive past tommorrow and have a look as I live on this side of the river.

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »
Any chance of a picture of the crane? (Put it in harbour over view images)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:

Hi Nathan

I wouldn't waste the space on Shipspotters server - its a plain old crane, nothing flash, albeit painted black and white   :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 03:28:10 PM »
Old cranes, without the old cranes, ships wouldnt of been able to unload/load back in the days.

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:

Try this webcam on the Tyne , so should see the crane also one of the Maersk tugs:_

http://www.interv8.co.uk/webcam/index.htm?cam=west

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
Gutted, i wish i knew of the webcam before the 'Northern Producer' came in early today, could of sat here with a nice cuppa and watched it.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
Gutted, i wish i knew of the webcam before the 'Northern Producer' came in early today, could of sat here with a nice cuppa and watched it.

Hi Nathan

You could have even watched it on streaming video (provided you have Broadband) on this site:

http://217.206.230.24:8080/simple.htm?feed=Northumbria

The camera covers the Piers into the River Tyne :-)

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:59:39 PM »
Akers (Readheads to me)yard seems to be busier in the last couple of weeks with one or two offshore boats loading structral sections.
Infact the river appears to be getting more busier. '
Fort Austin' arrived and was not on the shipping list to drydock and there have been and still are a number of cruise liners visiting the river with the QE2 due soon.
As I pass the 'Royal Quays berth' every weekend or the old Tyne Commissioners Quay to me and locals it is now nearing completion of its re-fit and I am informed most of visiting cruise liners will use this berth and visiting Naval ships in future.
The QE2 is expected to use this berth due to her length and draft.
Mike :-)
Mike

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »

Tynesider wrote:

Snipped

As I pass the 'Royal Quays berth' every weekend or the old Tyne Commissioners Quay to me and locals it is now nearing completion of its re-fit and I am informed most of visiting cruise liners will use this berth and visiting Naval ships i future.
The QE2 is expected to use this berth due to her length and draft.
Mike :-)

Hi Mike

Yet I doubt the new Terminal will be open to Joe Public and his camera - like it used to be!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 08:20:21 PM »
Hi Steve
Yes you are right, the new berth has been fenced off and will be controlled when ships are alongside,this is particuly done for visiting naval ships due to security.
You can access the frontage onto the car park easily but this would not be good anyhow for photo's.
I used to live in South Shields and the Mill Dam has always been a good place to take pictures of ships along side the commissioners quay.
However as you are aware there are plenty of good spots along the river!
I put a couple of offshore shots on 'ships Nostagie' of   HMS Albion and the Tynemouth lifeboat which I took from my boat last weekend at the Sunderland Air show on Sunday, however taking pictures in a rolling sea is not the best of places or while you are trying to sail at the same time!
Regards
Mike. :-)
Mike

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 06:03:13 AM »

Tynesider wrote:
I put a couple of offshore shots on 'ships Nostagie' of   HMS Albion and the Tynemouth lifeboat which I took from my boat last weekend at the Sunderland Air show on Sunday, however taking pictures in a rolling sea is not the best of places or while you are trying to sail at the same time!
Regards
Mike. :-)

Hi MIke

Never mind 'ships Nostagie' post your pictures onto Shipspotters so that we can enjoy them here.
Evidently catamarans are recommended for photographt, so remenmber that when you come to renew your boat  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk