Author Topic: Pasha Bulker aground Newcastle Australia  (Read 32106 times)

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Pasha Bulker aground Newcastle Australia
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »
I would imagine that due to the fact she had discharged her ballast before hand she is sitting in shallower water than if she had left her ballast on board. She has no ballast left to discharge so she can be floated or dragged off the beach.
My guess it will be a tough job to move her off the beach.
The worst of the storm system has now passed. It was regarded in the papers as a once in 30 year storm. It wreaked havoc on land as well.

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
The lack of ballast water could well be a problem when it comes to refloating. On the subject of 30 year storms it's probably wise to remember that the same thing occurred in 1974 when the SYGNA grounded on Stockton Beach at Newcastle.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »
Hi

Another Aussie storm casualty was the freighter Cherry Venture on a Queensland beach 6.7.73, some remains apparently still remain.

Cheers

Brent

Offline kyte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hamarana.com
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 10:02:34 PM »
Pasha Bulker was the first of some serious disaster stuff happening around here.  The storm which brought her ashore (and right now she's only 40 meters or so off the beach) worsened later in the day, and the city and suburbs were awash with cars and debris...  Right now as I type, the Hunter River is in flood, and evacuations are occurring...  Its been a really nasty few days.

Just thought I'd drop by to comment as there doesn't seem to be any other Novocastrians posting in here.

Offline Warwick Somerville

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »
Melbourne base tug "Keera" has been dispatched to Newcastle today 11/06/2007.

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 08:16:21 PM »
I heard a news report yesterday stating they have found a crack in her hull. Nothing major though. No threat of losing fuel oil at this stage.

Offline navig8

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:47 AM »
They have commenced transferring all FO Do and LO to tanks that are les likely to rupture if the hull damage worsens. They have also filled No 4 Hold to try and stabilise her while they develop a salvage plan.

Apparently divers are on standby for an underwater inspection later today (Wednesday) if the conditions allow.

Offline Stuart Scott

• Just can't stay away
  • Maritime Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 06:32:03 AM »
New development - live webcam of 'Pasha Bulker' on the beach. Follow her salvage minute by minute!

http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=2790&state=NSW

Enjoy,

Stuart

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »
thank you for posting the webcam link to the grounded mv "pasha bulker",very intersesting.

Offline driver33b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

Hi all, This is my 1st post. Here is a couple of photo's I've found on the net plus where I think she is on the beach in Google Earth. Enjoy. Tony PS LOTS of photo editing???? Positioning is not my forte'.

:-D

Offline driver33b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
GEEEZ....  :-o I really mucked that up didn't I?  :-?  From the GE pic you can see the reef just to the north of her....my guess is her rudder is ON the reef????  There cannot be much sand under her either....I think that is reef not seaweed....maybe a 'local' can confirm this?

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 07:18:18 AM »
hi,just watched the webcam and saw a helicopter was landing  on deck of the lauritzen bulkcarrier.amazing webcam,see the vessel fighting against the sea and the reef,swell will increase.anyway,what is going on down under?
brgds mooringman

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »
Hello

The latest I heard on how they are going to attempt to move Pasha Bulker is they are going to attempt to swing the bow around seaward. Set anchors in deeper water linked to her anchor chains. They will attempt to use her own anchor winches & tugs to pull her into deeper water. If this fails they may have to wait until July sometime when the king tides are due to attempt to move her again. They have already moved the fuel oil to tanks away from cracks they have found in her hull. Ballast has been taken on to stabilize the ship in the surf for now.

Regards
Peter

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
thank you very much for the quick information,i will hope they will be succesful without any pollution,but i doubt it.depends on the weather anyway....brgds mooringman

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »
Driver 33b, due to copyright infringements, could you just provide a link to the pictures from the net, rather than putting them on here direct?

Many thanks

'Shipimages'
*Moderator-type person*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk