Author Topic: Busy Time In Southampton for Liners  (Read 9255 times)

Busy Time In Southampton for Liners
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
Hi All

Looks like Southampton (UK) based ship spotters are going to have plenty to feats their eyes!!!

This from the Southern Daily Echo @
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/latest/display.var.1338900.0.shipping_spectacular.php

"Ocean Village Two, Britain's latest cruise ship, was due in Southampton today signalling the start of the busiest period in the port's illustrious history.

With its distinctive, vivid pink and orange livery, Ocean Village Two will be officially named by catwalk queen Jodie Kidd and her sister, Jemma Kidd, the celebrity make-up artist, in a dockside ceremony next Tuesday.

It's not only the colourful graphics on its hull and superstructure that make Ocean Village Two stand out from more traditional ships as the vessel, designed for passengers looking for casual, informal voyage, boasts that it is "the cruise ship for people who don't do cruises''.

Ocean Village, which will berth in the Western Docks, is set to arrive in Southampton from Bremerhaven, Germany where she has undergone a wide-ranging refit.

Over the course of the next week a total of 15 different cruise ships will visit the docks. There will be 19 individual vessel movements and in excess of 77,600 people will use the port's three passenger terminals.

On Sunday the world's largest cruise ship, Liberty of the Seas, will sail through the Solent and up Southampton Water before docking on schedule at 7am next door to Mayflower Park.

Fireworks spectacular Hundreds of spectators are expected to flock to the park to watch three spectacular firework displays beginning at 9.45pm on Sunday and Monday evenings while on Tuesday it will be staged at 9pm as Liberty of the Seas leaves for a two-night mini-cruise at 10pm.

Next Thursday at about 10am Southampton will witness a unique maritime event when Liberty of the Seas will meet up for the first time and sail past another Royal Caribbean International super-liner, Navigator of the Seas, as it begins a summer long programme of cruises from Southampton.

As the two huge vessels come alongside one another it is expected that the whistles of both ships will boom out a greeting that will echo across the city.

Other ships due in Southampton over the coming days include Queen Elizabeth 2, Millennium, Oceana, Aurora, Arcadia, Artemis, Queen Mary 2, Oriana, Constellation, Saga Rose, Saga Ruby, Boudicca and Sea Princess.

Next Tuesday alone there will be a staggering 439,363 gross tonnage of cruise ships in the port with about 40,000 passengers disembarking and joining vessels."

So we look forward to seeing the photographs :lol:  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Busy Time In Southampton for Liners
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »
Hi Steve,

Just been looking at the schedule myself because as luck has it, and plans don't change of course, I'm working nights in Southampton all next week so should be able to see all the cruise ship movements including the new Liberty of the Seas.

Cheers

Bob

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »

rjs wrote:
Hi Steve,

Just been looking at the schedule myself because as luck has it, and plans don't change of course, I'm working nights in Southampton all next week so should be able to see all the cruise ship movements including the new Liberty of the Seas.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Looking forward to seeing the photographs  :-)

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:33:12 PM »
Hmmm. Interesting. I'd forgotten about this! Providing I can get my new car in time (I'm currently car-less) I can get to East Cowes to see the sailings of some of these.
Thanks for the reminder, Steve.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
Hi All

Some more information for anyone thinking of garbbing some shots at Southampton:

"Tuesday 24 April will be the culmination of the port

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 06:31:52 AM »
Steve,

A conversation I heard on the radio while waiting for the Berlin Express yesterday:
Pilot on board a French naval vessel to VTS:
If we are going on 46 berth, what about this Cattle Carrier that is coming in for the naming ceremony?
Reply from VTS: The ferry will be moving to 46 berth on Saturday evening...
I was looking everyhwere for a new "cattle carrier"!
Kelvin

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 08:16:13 AM »

kelvin wrote:
Steve,

A conversation I heard on the radio while waiting for the Berlin Express yesterday:
If we are going on 46 berth, what about this Cattle Carrier that is coming in for the naming ceremony?
Kelvin

Hi Kevin

Nice story - not one that would go down well with P&O (owners of OV2) though  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:56 PM »
Any idea what French naval vessel and when's she sailing?

Bob

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
Bob,
It is a tiddler, the FS Pluvier.
I posted a picture of it on the site this morning.
She is due out on Tuesday I believe.
Cheers
Kelvin

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »

kelvin wrote:
Steve,

Kelvin

You have to admit that's pretty funny. :lol:

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »
I thought so too.
Earlier in the day, I heard this conversation:
Maersk Kuantan: VTS, Maersk Kuantan..
VTS: Go ahead Maersk Kuantan..
Maersk Kuantan; I have just started heaving up my anchor to proceed to the pilot boarding station and an unidentified vessel has suddenly appeared astern of me..
*(I think at this time the sun was low and bright, probably making it difficult to see)*
VTS: Stand by, I will check it out...
VTS: Maersk Kauntan VTS:
Maersk Kuantan: Go ahead
VTS: That is a submarine astern of you. It is a Dutch submarine proceeding to the Portsmouth pilot station. The Portsmouth pilot is aware of your intentions.
Maersk Kauntan: Oh! Thanks very much

The poor man must have had the fright of his life!
Kelvin

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
Does anyone know if the Liberty of the Seas (which is on berth 101) is port or starboard side to? Port side to I hope, as I'm going over to Southampton tomorrow afternoon to get some shots.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »
According to her AIS, she is starboard side to.
I hope the weather turns out better for you!

Kelvin

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »
She is starboard side to pointing up the dock. Weather today was very misty, hopefully better tomorrow.

Cheers

Bob

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 06:03:39 AM »
Dammit. Was hoping for port side to. Will have to make do with arse shots then. :-?

Thanks guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk