Author Topic: Offshore Support Vessel Capsizes  (Read 23269 times)

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Offshore Support Vessel Capsizes
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
This is such a sad tragedy.  For now, prayers for the crew who died, for the buy who was looking to see what the sea life was like, and for their families.

Next, a careful and rigorous investigation into what went wrong, to help prevent ever happening again.

This account from The Herald in Glasgow, if it can be substantiated, may give some clues:

"According to witnesses, as the vessel headed away from the Transocean Rather drilling rig with one of its anchors, it seemed to turn sharply and the anchor chain jumped out of the mechanism at the rear of the deck which held it. As the chain ran across the deck, the 75-metre tug lurched one way, then the other, before overturning."
Best,

Charles

Offline Sigurd Vermundsen

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • vermundsen.com
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
As almost all of us surtenly know now. The ship has sunked into 1100 m deep.
This link is to the company website.
Pressrelease from Burbon shipping, france
Next link to their website about accident.
Bourbon Dolphin

Offline Bjoern Eddy Engelbrethsen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Norske skip 1850-2023
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »
A maritime inquiry into the loss of the Norwegian supply vessel Bourbon Dolphin, which capsized and sank off Shetland with the loss of eight lives, is due to open at a Norwegian court. Smit International has issued a statement about the sinking of the Bourbon Dolphin, which capsized on April 12th whilst performing offshore services for the drill platform Transocean Rather. Subsequently, SMIT Salvage was contracted by Bourbon Offshore Norway AS, to render salvage services to Bourbon Dolphin.

The mobilization of the necessary salvage personnel, craft and equipment started immediately. A salvage team of seven members was flown to the Shetland Islands and the anchor handling tug Zeus, equipped with a diving spread and salvage equipment departed to the casualty from Den Helder, the Netherlands. The AHT SV Highland Valour was chartered in order to depart from Lerwick, Shetland Islands, as soon as the salvage team arrived, reports said.

"Unfortunately, owing to fog conditions and reduced visibility on the Shetland Islands the salvage team encountered delays as a consequence of cancellation of inbound flights and suspension of helicopter services." "Meanwhile, discussions were held between all interested parties and the UK Secretary of State Representative with regards to releasing the casualty by cutting the pennant wire/ anchor chain to which she was connected to the drill platform. This was considered necessary because it was reported that Bourbon Dolphin was causing a threat to the drill platform and its personnel." "On Saturday 14th April in the late evening, the pennant wire was cut and the casualty was released from the platform. The AHT SV Olympic Hercules held the casualty in position awaiting the arrival of the salvage team and craft. In the early afternoon of 15th April, the master of Olympic Hercules reported a deterioration in the condition of Bourbon Dolphin. The salvage master arrived on site and established that the casualty was unstable and in the process of losing her buoyancy."

"Given the prevailing weather and sea state conditions at that time, (southwesterly wind 5 Beaufort and a sea swell of 4-5 metres) it was deemed to be unsafe to carry out the towage or even perform preparations such as a diving survey." "Bourbon Dolphin was completely submerged and the wire connection to Olympic Hercules had to be released. The vessel sank at the position of 61
Best regards
Bj

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 02:26:10 AM »
Here is a report on the Bourbon Dolphin tragedy, which is illustrating what I and many others thought: that something (perhaps the chain snagging on some underwater obstacle, or a sudden turn to avoid a collision?) caused the chain to jump out of the karmfork or similar device holding it at the center and rear of the main deck, and the resulting wide angle, or girding, force pulled her over.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12617&d=1177370653

As I do not speak Norsk/Nynorsk nor read Bokmal, I hope one of our Norwegian friends may translate the diagram text, at least the captions for 1, 2, and 3?

Thanks in advance,
Best,

Charles

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 02:36:21 AM »
If there is anyone not familiar with the maneuvers involved in anchor handling for offshore rigs in deep waters, this site, by Ebbe Holsting,a Danish junior ship's officer gives an excellent explanation:http://www.menkent.dk/anchorhandling.html .

Here are his photos of an anchor handling tug like Bourbon Dolphin in action:
http://www.menkent.dk/picassister.html

I post only links to his site, he deserves great credit for his illustrations and photos.
Best,

Charles

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Norske skip 1850-2023
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:14 AM »
Have tried my best to translate no.1,2 and 3.
#1: "Bourbon Dolphin" worked on anhorchain no.2 when it capsized.
#2: The anchorchain they are dragging onboard is pulled over the side, and the vessel gets a list.
#3: "Bourbon Dolphin" is dragged over to the side, which end with the disaster. The vessel then lies "bottom up"

Hope you understand my translation, Charmtug
Best regards
Bj

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:18 AM »
Thanks, Beddy,

From the shortness of the captions, I had thought it might be as you said.  You have confirmed that the diagram describes what probably happened.  This leaves the big question, I think; what caused the chain to move to the side so quickly, and with such a force as to pull the ship over on its side?  The anchor weighs about 18-22 tons. If the full chain length to the bottom was out, the total weight could be as much as 200 tons (1100 m x 160 kg/m + 22 tons anchor).  Bourbon Dolphin was near the rig when the accident happened, however so there should not have been that much chain out, 300 m, for example would make the hanging load about 60 tons.  I don't believe this load could destroy stability by itself.  The Glasgow Herald story said the chain "jumped" out of the restraining mechanism and the ship "turned sharply".  The one scenario that I can think of to cause such a combination is the anchor line snagging on something off the line of the tug's pull.  That would create a side force equal to the thrust of the tug's own main engines.

All is speculation until the Norwegian boards conduct their investigations.  Hopefully there will be a clear consensus as to the cause, so measures can be taken to prevent any repeat of this tragedy.
Best,

Charles

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
Report from hearings just released today by BBC:

"Capsize inquiry hears of problems
The moments before an oil rig support vessel capsized off Shetland, with the loss of eight lives, have been described at an inquiry in Norway. Witness told of problems in the run-up to the Bourbon Dolphin capsizing. First mate Geir Syversen said an anchor handling operation with another ship eventually saw the anchor chain drag over the side of the Bourbon Dolphin. The boat soon started to capsize and the boat turned over. Only three bodies were found afterwards.

The Bourbon Dolphin capsized 85 miles west of the Shetland coast on 12 April and sank three days later. The inquiry in Alesund, Norway, heard the Bourbon Dolphin had been involved in an anchor handling operation with another ship, the Highland Valour, at the time of the incident. Mr Syversen, the only survivor who was on the bridge during the accident, told the inquiry it took the Highland Valour five attempts to move the anchor. On the final attempt the anchor chain, he said, dragged over the side of the Bourbon Dolphin. The Highland Valour was told to go more north west. The captain then came on the bridge and took a VHF radio and called on the Highland Valour: "Do you know the difference between north west and south east?"

A call from the chief engineer said the vessel had to reduce its thruster, because it was overheating. Below deck, work started on filling tanks on the starboard side of the boat to keep it more steady. The Highland Valour then lost the connection again. The Bourbon Dolphin then tried to release the inner pin. This saw the chain run free and catch the outer tow pin. The first mate said the boat then started to capsize. The cargo deck started to disappear below the water. The two main engines also stopped.

The hearing was told that the emergency release system was triggered but did not seem to work as intended. The boat then turned over.
The inquiry continues."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...st/6590249.stm Published: 2007/04/25 13:35:23 GMT
Best,

Charles

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 03:12:47 PM »
More reports on hearings.  I'm posting several links, as there are differences in details reported among the various news services.  Journalist ignorance, also: most understand the load is the total of anchor and rode and towing cable, but one reported a "330 ton anchor".

So far 2 contributing causes seem to be  poor communications between tugs (no cause of that apparent yet) and, ultimately, failure somehow of the line to the load to come free immediately when the emergency release was triggered.  Dynamic loading from the wind and sea state would have contributed...

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=641022007

http://www.norwaypost.no/cgi-bin/nor...maker?id=73007

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm...name_page.html

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news...355587.0.0.php

http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item500_bourbon_dolphin.htm

Ultimately, it may be that this tragedy was the result of many small problems accumulating until the situation became a disaster.  Hopefully the entire truth will be determined and lessons applied to prevent this happening again.
Best,

Charles

Offline Tim

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »
It is interesting to read how the English speaking press is covering this story, I have been reading the Norwegian press and Scandinavian sites and it appears that the crux of the matter is that the Bourbon Dolphin was the wrong boat for the job in combination with a series of unfortunate events which led to her capsize. Land lubbers will get details wrong like 330ton anchors and the like but this was supposed to be a routine job in weather that was not considered to bad for the North Sea.

I did a brief translation of the hearing from the Norwegian press on my blog

http://www.ruttledge.se/2007/04/26/bourbon-dolphin-court-hearing/

These accidents are not normally from one single event but a chain of events that result in the tragic loss of life.
It will be interesting to read the Norwegian Government report into the accident. it may take a few months before it gets published though.

All the best
Tim

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:12 PM »
Welcome Tims

So sad to here the true story starting to come out on this accident

It appears that there is a lot questions to be answered

Regards Cawky

Offline Tim

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2007, 06:18:25 AM »
Hi Cawky and everybody,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the VDR previously, every ship over 3000 GT is supposed to have a Voyage data recorder (built after 2002) the Bourbon Dolphin had 2974 GT according to Bourbons home page, this doesn't mean that it did not have one as it was such a modern ship.
The Voyage Data Recorder gives all the facts of engine movement, position info and other nav info plus voice recording. I think it would be beneficial in any enquiry to retrieve such device if indeed it was fitted with one.
Anybody have any ideas or info?
Tim

Offline PETERT

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »
Please Please

I spent 20 odd years at sea on these type of ships doing survey work etc and I sailed with crew from all over and most of them were the same as you would expect from any mix of people ie very good seamen, ok the comms might have been a problem but again I have never had a major problem getting a seaman to do a job when asked. Lets wait and see what the offical investagation comes up with before we go and presuppose who is to blame, I have heard people around this area who have never stepped foot on a ship coming up with wild ideas about what happend, remember people died out there lets remember them and wait and see what the offical verdict is before we start unfounded rumors.

Offline Stuart Young

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »
Here is a an article from te shetland post with actual events that day.

Things are now coming out in the open.

Things that should never have happend.

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=22127

Stuart

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Norske skip 1850-2023
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2007, 10:12:07 PM »
NRK (Norsk RiksKringkasting) sent a documentar this evening.
The meaning was to send it last week, but due to the investigation-commission they decided to wait till today.

A very touching docu. I sat back with a BIG lump, and a sad heart after watching.

REST IN PEACE ALL SEAMEN AT THE DEEP OECAN!!
Best regards
Bj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk