Author Topic: Pride of Bilbao and Yacht Ouzo Collision  (Read 4233 times)

Pride of Bilbao and Yacht Ouzo Collision
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »
This piece from the Shipping Times on line@
http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item428_ouzo.htm

Certainly the recommendations from British Marine Accident Investigation Branch makes interesting reading!

MAIB concludes that PRIDE OF BILBAO caused loss of yacht
And says the wrong glasses are being used by lookouts at night

The MAIB has just published its report into the loss of the yacht Ouzo last year.

The yacht Ouzo sailed from Bembridge, Isle of Wight (IOW), bound for Dartmouth, Devon on the evening of 20 August 2006. She had her three regular crew members on board who were intending to take part in the Dartmouth Royal Regatta.

The body of one of the crew members was found in the sea just before midday on 22 August about 10 miles south of the Nab Tower. At about 1900 on the following day, the bodies of the other two crew were recovered from the sea. They had all been wearing inflated lifejackets and good quality yachting clothing. Despite extensive surface and sub-surface searches no trace of the yacht has been found.

The last record of the yacht was at 2230 on 20 August when she went out of range of the Southampton/Portsmouth VTS radar system in Sandown Bay. At this time it is believed that the yacht was sailing close hauled in a south-south-westerly direction.

Voyage data recorder (VDR) records from ships that had been in the area during the night of 20/21 August were recovered and analysed by MAIB inspectors in order to use the radar information to trace the movements of the yacht. In the course of this analysis, it became apparent that the ro-ro passenger ferry Pride of Bilbao had had an encounter with a small yacht about 6 miles south of St Catherine

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Pride of Bilbao and Yacht Ouzo Collision
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
Hi,

if something like this happens, doesn't it have to be entered in the ships log?

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:24:09 AM »
Hi Cedric
The officer of the watch should have enterd it in the ships log, & contacted the Coastguard
The ship should have stopped and used her search lights to check the area for man overboard and damage.
It looks like they where in a rush to get home.

REGARDS Stephen   :pint:
8-)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi Stephen

Well it will be interesting to see if any further information comes out during the Criminal Case against the Watch Officer.

BTW the Marine Investigations Branch doesn't work, so try:
http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2007/ouzo.cfm

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:56:01 PM »
I can't agree with that.
Maybe the officer of the clock should have logged it but you have to remember he had every reason to believe that he had passed close to a yacht; nothing more.
Then he and the lookout saw the lights of the yacht astern and they made the assumption that there was nothing more to worry about. After all, these ferries and other vessels in those waters have to put up with idiot yacht and speedboat owners pushing their luck with close calls all the time.
Last Friday, a large containership was coming up the Thron Channel into Southampton and the Southapton Patrol boat had to do a very swift U turn to intercept and turn back a large yacht that had turned 90 degrees and was heading straight across the channel and the path of the container ship.
If a captain had to go about and look to see if anything had happened every time they pass a yacht in the dark, the ferries would never get beyond the Isle of Wight.
I think the MAIB report is typical of modern incident investigations; it seems to be driven by an absolute need to find someone, any one and the more the merrier, to blame.
In the end, the report didn't really blame anybody so I am not sure what evidence they will provide to back up the manslaughter charges against the officer.
The report also treated the issue of the possibility of blame on board the yacht very delicately.
All the terms used in describing the yacht's crew, journey, fitness of equipment etc were very "iffy" and woolly.
I have sailed across the Med from the southern coast of Spain in a yacht of similar size with really poor electrics, rubbish lights etc and I know what it is like when a large ferry comes hurtling round the corner. In my case, my mate and I left the coast as it was going dark and about an hour after wading through the smaller fishing boats, we found ourselves in the track of the ferries going round the Spanish coast toward Malaga. It was difficult to figure out the exact track of the ferries as they were constantly changing as they followed the coast. So we got out of the way. Still, the ferries passed close enough to leave the yacht stinking of diesel fumes!
I am convinced the MAIB report is the best effort to come up with a scapegoat and take care it is not too critical of the yacht crew.
By the way, the ferry was in no hurry to get home; it was just leaving Portsmouth at the start of a 3 day round trip.
Kelvin

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »
Hi,

I can see why you say that. People on board a modern ferry are under high stress from timetables and so on.
Combine that with the heavy traffic in those waters and it's a pretty hectic job, navigating a ferry all by yourself.

About the report.
In modern times, they always have to find someone who has done something wrong.
Probably for the family of the victims or the media and maybe the need of man to be able to explain everything.

Accident will never stop happening.
All we can try is minimise the risks.

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »
Hi Kelvin & Cedric
i agree with you both. This is  a subject we could go on for a long time
The crews have more red tape to deal with than actual sailing, MCA Regulations are updated every day (Just look at there web site) More pleasure craft about, its just like the motorways & airways. More accidents will happen
the media and the insurance companys are a pain in the arse.
lets blame somebody. To them its never just an accident or human error.
sorry Kelvin if i offended you with my comment about in a rush to get home. just mad at the time.

REGARDS Stephen  :pint:
8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk