Author Topic: RMS Queen Elizabeth/Seawise University  (Read 9887 times)

Offline aerochago

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
RMS Queen Elizabeth/Seawise University
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:48:27 AM »
Hi.

Has anyone any info on the proposed raising of the hull of the QE in Hong Kong harbour

Regards

Alan

Jim Winsor 53

Re: RMS Queen Elizabeth/Seawise University
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:33:34 PM »
Alan:What are you talking about here?I thought and am pretty sure QUEEN ELIZABETH was totaly scraped after the fire.

Offline aerochago

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Jim,

According to  a member of Titanic-Titanic .com I have copied below two of many emails on the subject.

3/10/06 - the hull of the QE remains in the mud only the super was cut off a survey of the hull takes place at the end of the summer with a view to raising
10/2/07 - survey shows intact in the mud, survey done by Seawise Salvage using a local diving company

Any ideas

Cheers

Alan

Jim Winsor 53

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
Whats the idea if they get her up?For what? :-o Have you got any refurance material on this?a place to go and look?

Offline aerochago

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:27:30 PM »
Wrll there is a site called Seawise Salvors but cant see its serious as there is talk of returning it to the UK for what though and who is paying for it seems a bit fishy to me

Alan :-(

Offline StewartM

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
I thought the new airport was built over the area she sank and whatever remains of her which were still there.
[

Offline WAYNE2

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:28:21 PM »
I was only a baby when the QE1 was on fire but i know that she was cut up and I was told a container port was build I belive it when i see her with my own eyes or someone puts photos online

Jim Winsor 53

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
I think I tend to agree with you two guys here.I was all the time under the understanding the whole thing was taken out of the harbour and there was nothing at all left.I,m sure the airport or some sort of construction was done over the site.As you say the only way we will know for sure is when photos pop up on the site.

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 08:03:21 PM »
It`s a long time ago, but to my mind I also read that the wreck was only cut down to a certain level and the bottom of the harbour was filled up around the remainder of the wreck. But unfortunately this is all I remember.

Offline StewartM

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »
Thanks Wayne, I'd forgotten about the container port, but I was sure something was built over the site.
[

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »
The Chinese Government are not your normal every day sort of Government, after all they would not allow that US Plan to leave China intact.  

I wonder if they have told the Brittish Government we don't want your wreck and we are going to send it back to you.

I know nothing about Hong Kong apart from the fact they are running out of land if not all ready have.  But all this time in the Mud, and then if you do get it up how are they going to get it back to the UK?  Surely you would think that now one in the right mind is going to tow and I imagine it would be too big for a submersible vessel, so what option does that leave?  Cut it into smaller pieces?

Gee the environmentalists carry on about bringing the hull back to the UK in tact or not for what ever purpose and would the UK Government allow it in anyway?

As the others have said, I will belive it when I see it.

Offline Andrew Lester

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:13:33 PM »
From the Wikipedia entry for RMS Queen Elizabeth:
"1975

Jim Winsor 53

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 12:39:29 AM »
Very good article so this kind of says case closed well done.Thanks for sharing the info.Things there never knew about before so this says.......rest in piece!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk