Author Topic: Pilot missing after falling overboard in Delaware Bay, U.S.  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
Pilot missing after falling overboard in Delaware Bay, U.S.
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:15:31 AM »
The U.S. Coast Guard has called off a 14 hour search for a missing pilot who fell off the ship he was to pilot on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2007. Missing is Lynn Deibert, 52, a pilot with the Chesapeake Federal Pilots Association.  His home of record is Virginia Beach, Virginia.  Deibert fell while ascending the ladder of the Energy Enterprise, a 645 foot ship bound for Baltimore, Maryland about two miles off the coast of Cape Heniopen at the mouth of Delaware Bay.  He was delivered to the ship by the pilot vessel Big Stone 5.  Witnesses say Deibert was wearing a flotation device and was thrown life rings but he was never spotted again.

Weather conditions at the time of the accident were reported as a wind of 20-25 knots, six foot seas, clear visibility, and below freezing air temperature with 39 degree F water temperature.

The U.S. Coast Guard responded with an HH -65C Dolphin helicopter, a 47 foot and 41 foot rescue boat and the USCG cutter Dependable.  Aditional helicopter sorties were flown and at sunrise a USCG HC-130 aircraft joined the search.
The search was terminated about 2:20pm EST on Monday, February 5 after 14 hours.

The Energy Enterprise continued enroute to Baltimore where USCG will inspect the ship and interview the crew.  The Big Stone 5 is enroute to Lewes, Delaware for inspection.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline chasd147

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot missing after falling overboard in Delaware Bay, U.S.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:26:48 AM »
Hopefully Mercy was quick.  Near buoy 44009.  Extensive search, no results. With 2m waves and 15C water, he did not suffer long. The ocean owns us, forever.

Offline Matt Ruscher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing this grim story. Energy Enterprise was enroute from Providence to Baltimore at the time to load coal for Brayton Point off Fall River,MA.
PLEASE COMMENT, RATE or better yet Email or IM me to discuss anything about ships, always looking to make new friends and improve my pictures  :-D ......

Offline T.Richard

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:47:58 AM »
What a story !, Unfortunately it happens too many times !!!
It reminds me how dangerous the job can be and to be very careful every time I board a ship.

My thought goes to the family of the poor seaman !
Regards
Thalassa
Marine Pilot
:hammer:

Offline Brian Maniglia

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:17:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing this sad information. Its a shame to hear things like this, especially local to me. And to think thats what I want to do! Any search continuing to find the body?

Brian

Offline Tore Lundgren

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
A sad story indeed. I

Offline Geert van Kesteren

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://home.hetnet.nl/~kobad/index.html
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
As a retired RiverScheldt Pilot in Holland I bring my sincere condolances to Family and also to Chesapeake Pilots Association.
In my 31 year carreer I ,luckely, met "only" five of these cases.
Often these things still happen as a result of bad pilotladders = material; non-seamanship of crewmembers and not working according to IMPA and (EMPA)-regulations.

Sad Story!!!
(Unless the above story;piloting ships is/and stays a wonderfull and very responsable job!!)

Geert(Zappa)
Dutch Riverpilot for 31 years(1965/08 untill 1996/01) on RiverScheldt(located in Belgium/The Netherlands); between Flushing and Antwerp vice-versa..Over 4000 ships of all sizes were piloted in that period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk