Author Topic: A question for the experts: voice commands interfaces in ships  (Read 1085 times)

Offline andrea74

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A question for the experts: voice commands interfaces in ships
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »
Hi everybody, I have already found this gret website, and I think this the right place to find an aswer to a question that came into my  mind recently.

Since I'm ship enthusiast, but sure not an expert, I would like to have your opinion about the use of a "multimodal" interface in the bridge during navigation or in port.

I try to make myself clear: a "multimodal" device is a system that can be activated and controlled both using traditional buttons or by the user's voice: that means that the user can give voice commands, or press buttons to interact with the system and receive spoken and/or visual/acoustic feedback.

My question is: in your opinion this interaction modality could be useful in ships to manage secondary devices (for obvious reasons not the main controls) and which devices or controls would benefit by the combined use of the voice and traditional buttons?

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Andrea74

P.s.: such devices are currently been implemented in the automotive field. Few weeks ago Microsoft announced they are working with Ford to sell things like these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6240479.stm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk