Author Topic: MSC Napoli Sinking  (Read 130316 times)

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
MSC Napoli Sinking
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
The MSC Napoli appears to be on the brink of similar fate to the MSC Carla (http://www.containershipping.nl/casualties.html )which broke up in the Atlantic with both in loaded condition in heavy weather. Are there any common factors ? eg lengthening ? speed in conditions ? loading ? other stress ?

This is not a Derbyshire (ex Liverpool Bridge) and Kowloon Bridge (ex English Bridge) type of link but question is if it is coincidence or a factor apart from weather itself ?

Offline Richard Matterson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World Warships
Re: MSC Napoli Sinking
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »
The main difference between the APL Panama and MSC Napoli was that the APL Panama didn't have structural failure.  I suspect that if they don't work quickly there won't be much to remove if you get another storm like the current one.

Offline Bearsie

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »
The current difficulties are clearly caused by the hull cracks just in front of the bridge.
Why they developed is another question, the ship was stranded with a full load high and dry on a reef for 60 days about 6 years ago. One would have to know if she has sisterships and if they have problems.
I would assume that she was built using high strength steel, which while light and strong is also brittle and more prone to corrosion, compared to mild steel.
As an aside there is a german shipping company "Egon Oldendorff" that will only buy ships build with mild steel...
The bad weather alone certainly is not the main factor or we would have broken ships all over the place.
There was a series of british ships (all with the suffix "Bridge") a while back that all developed cracks at frame 68 within 6 years of being build.
I assume those are the ones you are referring to?

As far as repairing her? that's a simple equation of market value and what would have to be repaired.
Splicing in a few feet of hull certainly would be cheaper than a new ship and most certainly faster.
A

FWE wrote:
The MSC Napoli appears to be on the brink of similar fate to the MSC Carla (http://www.containershipping.nl/casualties.html )which broke up in the Atlantic with both in loaded condition in heavy weather. Are there any common factors ? eg lengthening ? speed in conditions ? loading ? stress ?

This is not a Derbyshire and Kowloon Bridge type of link but question is if it is coincidence or a common factor apart from weather itself ?

Offline Adrian Buchan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »
The BBC website has a picture which shows a slit in the Hull on the starboard side, just in front of the Bridge superstructure which is over two meters wide, running from the deck level and going vertically down to the waterline. They say that it is the same on the port side which means that there must be a large gap were the deck joins the bridge section and there can't be much holding the stern on.

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2007, 11:37:24 PM »
Yes the common factor between the break up of the MSC Carla and the MSC Napoli may relate to stuctural alterations or repairs (if any) relating to earlier incidents, the lengthening of the MSC Carla was considered as an issue in that break up, and the previous stranding of MSC Napoli may well be an issue in this one. Anyone know what speed the MSC Napoli was trying to make before the incident ? Earlier claims concerning the MSC Carla (see http://www.containershipping.nl/casualties.html ) were also of stresses from maintaining speed in heavy weather. Is this to be the achilles heel of large fast containerships that the stresses imposed by weather etc are not easily recognised until it is too late ?

I thank you for your helpful reply and information re the previous grounding in loaded condition of same MSC Napoli.

Offline Jim Croucher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
Tonight's TV news reports state that up to 50 containers have been lost overboard, but this is a small percentage of the potential loss. However for obvious reasons I'd prefer to hear this from a more reliable source. No doubt the vessel will be listing heavily once firmly aground and bad weather will knock a few boxes off especially with the reduced freeboard. They say she is listing to 35 degrees. Fingers crossed for a successful salvage - I know many of you will appreciate the risks involved with such an operation far better than I. There's one hell of a lot at stake here besides the vessel and her cargo - think environment, politics etc..etc.. I agree that pictures of casualties are extremely interesting but I think I speak on behalf of most people involved in the industry when I say "fingers crossed".....

Jim C

Offline johnseaton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 01:41:42 AM »
hi i am at the site of the wear she sat on the sand rgs john seaton devon uk ps i got pics of it to i take more ea day

Offline johnseaton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »
i am here at site i got pic of this ship sat on sand will take pic ea day rgs john seaton devon uk

Offline Jim Croucher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »

Offline Alan Smillie

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://ships-boats-craft.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »
UKs "Sky News" are giving regular live updates of the MSC Napoli condition, on site they say it is listing over 30

Offline Jim Croucher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
Brand new video from Sky News HERE.

Looks horrible. Hope they can take of the fuel oil and save the cargo before she rolls over.

Mats
Oslo

Offline Captain M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »
Any sailor will tell you - 2,000+ flimsy boxes and 3,000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil have no chance of surviving the Western English Channel in January.  

This is a major incident.

I certainly will not be taking a beach holiday in Devon this year.

Offline crumblecru

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
Apparently the vessel is currently listing to 35 degrees and at least two toxic containers have gone overboard - one with battery acid and one with perfume chemicals.  There is an oil slick 5 miles wide heading towards Lyme Regis and there are already reports of sea birds covered in oil.

Offline weta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »
The BBC has published a number of images taken by local residents, one of which shows beached containers.

BBC NEWS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk