Author Topic: MSC Napoli Sinking  (Read 130302 times)

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MSC Napoli Sinking
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 02:41:33 AM »
The tow is about 13.5 naut. miles East of the closest land, there are just about stopped and were heading 090 at N50.25.501-W003.04.626, their speed keeps fluctuating, as well as their heading.
.. Kent

Offline ralf_03

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 11:18:12 AM »
Dear all,

First of all I want ot thank you for all the information you posted here in the forum.
After all crew members have returned safely now my attention is turned to the cargo of the vessel.
My problem is, that I work in Munich, cut off from all nautical information. Therefore I am absolutely addicted to you and your news posted here in the forum.
I will sleep not well again before I receive the news, that MSC Napoli arrived at a save place and the chances to recover most of the containers are good.
For this reason I ask you to post the latest news and also the latest pictures here in the forum as soon as you get them.

Thank you again for your support and I wish you a nice weekend.
Ralf

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »
The tow of the MSC Napoli has arrived some 1.5 Naut miles off the coast between Branscombe, and Sidmouth, England, I don't know what the condition of MSC Napoli is at this time, they were joined last evening by the French SAR vessel Argonaute,anyone who might reside in that area may be able to get photos or gives us an update, I can only see what is on my AIS, names and dots of vessels, plus their coordinates, lat, lon, headings, speed, and type of vessel, etc.
.. Kent

Offline Chris Hunsicker

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://hunsch1@tiscali.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »
BBC News 12:35hrs MSC Napoli going to be beach near Brancombe

Offline Caille Pierre-Alfred

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ships.be
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 12:44:52 PM »
DECISION TAKEN TO BEACH CONTAINER VESSEL

The weather overnight has been very poor with 45 knots of wind and a 5 metre swell.

The MSC NAPOLI has suffered serious structural failure. The large cracks on both sides of the ship have worsened during the night. The stern of the ship is gradually settling lower in the water and deteriorating.

The forecast is for South West wind veering Westerly 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9.

Risk assessments have been carried out and continually updated. The priority is to gain as much shelter as possible and keep the vessel in one piece. Therefore the decision has been made to beach the vessel and ballast it down east of Sidmouth.

The environmental sensitivities in the Lyme Bay area have been fully assessed as part of the operational planning process. The process involved an Environment Group which included representatives from local and national environment regulators. The beaching location was selected based on minimising the impact of any spillage and enabling salvage work to remove the vessel and cargo to take place.

The local authorities and environmental groups have been notified and all agencies are working together to ensure that there is no pollution from the vessel until such time as the salvage operation can remove containers and pollutants contained within it.

Source :
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-newsroom/mcga-press-releases.htm?id=D6D229E16CC62098&m=1&y=2007

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »
The British SAR vessel Anglian Princess, has left the group towing the MSC Napoli, Anglian Princess is heading ESE with a heading of 113, at 13.7 knots,  Caille reported from a news report, MSC Napoli will be beached, and I assumed that was going to be the plan, I don't know if there are port facilities at either these two communities of Sidmouth and Branscombe, that can handle a vessel of this size.
.. Kent

Offline atoz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »
I watch this type of casualty from time to time. Usually there are good reports on www.dolphin-maritime.com I checked there but guess since it is the weekend they will probably update next week.
Ciao

Offline AtlanticX

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »
As previously posted, the MCGA report says she is going to be beached. Branscombe and Sidmouth are small villages with no port facilities. Indeed in this area the nearest port capable of accomodating a vessel of this size would either be Plymouth to the west or Southampton to the east.

I guess that they plan to offload some/all of the cargo to another vessel from the beached Napoli. The most recent MCGA report talks of structural problems so presumably the fear is she will break her back, hence the beaching.

Latest from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6282247.stm

AX

Offline Adrian Buchan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 03:48:59 PM »
The MSC Napoli is now aground  1 mile off the Dorset coast at  Branscombe in Lyme Bay. They attempted to tow the vessel to Portland harbour last night, but the stern started to break away in the gale and they were forced to beach the ship. Unfortunatly she is beached in a very exposed location and is likely to break up in the next storm. Smit's are going to try and remove the cargo of 2.300 plus containers, let's hope that the weather holds for them!

Offline crumblecru

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
Im not a shipping person at all but will add this as we live about 2 miles from Branscombe and saw the ship dancing around Lyme Bay this morning.  The tugs were obviously dealing with a problem (about 11 am) and the cargo was shifting.  We took a couple of photographs which have been sent to the BBC

Branscombe is about as tiny a village as you can get and the roads in and out of it are narrow and treacherous, Sidmouth is a seaside town with about 14,000 people - we have no facilities at all round here for dealing with such a large ship - that's why it was on its way to Portland.  The bay is on the World Heritage Jurassic Coast and is home to some rare corals - pink sea fans and is a fishing area (boats from the next village - Beer - work every day).

We are all really worried about possible pollution.

Offline Adrian Buchan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 05:04:27 PM »
We are all very worried here in Lyme Bay, this has got to be the biggest shipping disaster we have ever had.
The MSC Napoli is now aground off the coast at Branscombe and is exposed to gales from every direction except the North.  Even though Smit's the best in the world are salvaging the cargo, its obviously going to take some time and what happens then? From what I can see the ship appears to have broken its back and the stern section is in danger of breaking off. The ship could go to Portland harbour which used to be a Naval base, but its properly on the limit for a ship that size and as far as I know it has not got the facilities to repair a ship that size.
Falmouth Docks is the obvious choice as it has the facilities to repair large ships, but its unlikely to survive the trip. Indeed is it economical to repair it? The ship is 16 years old and its almost in 2 pieces! who would want to sail on a ship that almost broke up in heavy seas and would Lloyds insure it again?
I rather fear its going to break up were it stands. :-?

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »
I'm no expert, just a lay person, but I think the likelihood of that ship getting off the beach in one piece may be remote. Even if she does, chances are she'll have a one way trip to the breakers afterwards and she has, by all appearances, broken her back and at 16 she'll be beyond repair.

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 08:06:40 PM »
I believe Shipimages has the right Idea for this vessel, she will not be worth of rebuilding, 16 years old is not a long life for a ship, maybe lack of proper maintenance, bad ballasting, does contribute to some extent the demises of some vessels, my opinion only, lets hope she does not break up before all containers are removed, simular the the CP Valour in Portugal, although this latter vessel was towed off her grounding perch, only after all containers were removed and parts of the vessel broken up, hopefully conditions at Branscombe will allow for this to happen there. Unfortunately, MSC Napoli will be there for time before all this will take place, much to chagrin of the townspeople, who have reason to worry.
.. Kent

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
The BBC has more on the MSC Napoli arriving at Branscombe Bay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/
.. Kent

Offline jnrawdon

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
I imagine they are going to do an APL Panama job, she grounded on a lee shore in a very exposed position with a full load of containers, at Ensenada, Mexico. The containers were all unloaded, the ship refloated and returned to her owners by Titan Marine, now part of Crowley. They have a page on it here:
http://www.titansalvage.com/aboutus/gallery/gallery69.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk