Author Topic: Mighty Servant 3 developed a list and sank!  (Read 24631 times)

Offline 2nd-mate

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.norfolkline.com
Mighty Servant 3 developed a list and sank!
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
This info is from the dockwise site!

Breda, December 06, 2006

Issued on behalf of Dockwise, owners of the vessel

Earlier this morning, the semi submersible vessel Mighty Servant 3 developed a list and sank after the offloading of the drilling platform

Offline 2nd-mate

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Servant 3 developed a list and sank!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
This is not the first Mighty ship to sink in 1999, the Mighty Servant 2 capsized near the Indonesian island of Singkep off the coast of Sumatra after striking a previously uncharted rock pinnacle in 32m of water. The ship was carrying production modules fabricated in Korea for the North Nemba project in Angola. Although the accident occurred on a calm day with flat seas, the Mighty Servant capsized within four minutes resulting in five fatalities.

The vessel was declared a total loss by its insurance underwriters and was sold for scrap. In November 2000, it arrived in Alang, India where it was broken up

Offline robert etchell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »
thats sad to hear the mighty servant 3 sank and is sad it happened a second time. i like those dockwise ships and some of them have come here like the dock express 12 and her sister ship DOCK EXPRESS 10 . they ueasly transport yaughts from flordia to here in vancouver and retern them back to florida. laety the dock express 12 has been going to bc coast port like nanaimo on vanvouver island and unloding her yaughts. on the side of the dock express 12 is says dockwise yaught transport so that means that is there yaught tranpsort fleet. now with the sinking of the mighty servant 3 dock wise wil have to build them better and better ways of carring very heavy loads like oil rigs.

robert

Offline Stephen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:31:22 AM »
Bad news about the Mighty Servant 3.  There is nothing like the sight of a drill rig being lifted out of the water to define heavy transport.  I wonder if Dockwise will move to replace her or if they'll just redeploy the fleet.

harbour; Yes Dockwise Yacht Transport is a seperate business entity.  Right now they have 4 vessels I think, mainly the older Dock Expresses and Super Servants.  There were plans to build a new specific yacht transporter but I'm not sure if they followed through on them.

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 06:32:28 AM »
Some pretty impressive pictures of the whole incident in Piet Sinke's "Daily Maritime Press Clippings" # 254

I can email a copy in pdf format for those who are interested - leave a private message with your email address

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
Hi Glen,

Agree the pictures are dramatic. Luckily, no-one was injured. I cannot believe she sank that way, and on such a fine day with calm seas.

Anyway, Piet Sinke's newsletter for today with the spectacular pictures can be found HERE.

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline Stephen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:13 PM »
Thanks for the link guys.

I agree it is very fortunate that everyone got off.  It looks like they had just completed the float off when she sank.  If she was down in the water and the wrong tanks got flooded there wouldn't be much they could do to save her.  I look forward to reading the report when it's published.

Yours aye,
Stephen

Offline 2nd-mate

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
:-o , What a dramatic sight, fortunly it went not so fast and all of the crew managed to get of!

Thanx for posting this link!

best regards

2nd-mate

Offline 2nd-mate

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 11:48:38 AM »
Today, 10 dec. 2006, I receivied some pic's from my father whom is working Offshore, he received some pic's from a Offshore collegua off the sinking of the Mighty Servant 3, I posted them by the Heavy Lift Vessel's!

Sad new's fore the crew of the ship, all the crew managed to get of safely, but now their beiing held up by the Angolan authorities :-(

Offline Umi_Ryuzuki

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 04:52:11 AM »
I have been searching a couple years for plans of the Mighty Servant 3 so that I could build an RC model of one of these semi submersible ships. It is sad to see her in such circumstances. Thank you for sharing the images "2nd Mate".

My estimates place the tip of that crane 66.8 meters above the bottom of the keel.

Can anyone verify whether the crane is still visible above the ocean surface?

Umi_Ryuzuki
(can someone fix my Nic-name? add an "i"?)

Offline Eryk Johansson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 12:20:06 PM »
Yes, you can see the crane some 3-4 meters above the water surface. Ant sometimes only, a small boat next to it to warn other vessels about this new obstacle. But at night time, the small boat is gone and no means of warning other vessels is in use. No light, no boat and no nothing.

Offline Richy

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:38:20 PM »
Hi,

I don't know much about salvaging vessels etc but do you think they will raise and re-use her???

Richy.

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:59:28 PM »
Immediate priority is to remove the bunkers to prevent pollution. This will be done using the tried and tested "hot tap" method. Salvage team is on site at present.
See  http://marinetalk.com/articles-marine-companies/art/Hot-Tap-Technology-121720T.html

After that she will have to be removed from where she is as I believe she sank right in the channel. My personal thoughts are that she is a goner.

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 08:41:48 PM »
Despite the title of this thread and the press statement from the company, none of the pictures I've seen suggest that she developed a list at all.  In fact she seems to have gone down on an even keel.

Barry

Offline 2nd-mate

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 09:38:27 PM »
Hello Barry,

Could not agree more, when I posted this topic the only info I had was the press release from the company (Dockwise).

When you see the pic's you can see the aft most likely went down first!

regards

2nd-mate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk