Author Topic: aislive site reduction  (Read 8095 times)

Offline alanp

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
aislive site reduction
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
i have noticed that aislive have again restricted even more access on the public site. you can no longer see any vessel in many of the european ports.

how much longer will it be before the public are totally excluded from the site ?

Offline Richard van der Pluijm

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo_search.php?submitter=2891
Re: aislive site reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
It seems AIS is not available for people with just a nice hobby and no commercial advantage with the desired info.

Maybe http://www.vesseltracker.com/ is of any use to you or other members.
It works together with google earth. You can download a free file which shows vesselmovements between Hamburg and Antwerp (with a minimum of 1 hour delay, same as AIS live.)
The tool : Nikon D3100
The result : My Album

Offline Michael Meredith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
Yes we seem to have the same problem in Spain. No proper access to Gibraltar Bay any more.

I have to say that this is typical of anything that Lloyds-Fairplay have a hand in. It wont be too long before the public accessibility is useless for identifying anything.

Here's an opening for someone even if it was subscriber access but a more reasonable fee I am sure there would be a good market.

I wish I was younger.

Michael Meredith

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.havenarbeiders.be/forum
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm using shipplotter (www.shipplotter.com). It costs 25
Proud to be a Belgian docker!

Offline Allan Mears

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
Hi,

I also use Shipplotter and have done for some time. This relies on users recieving the AIS signals direct from the ships and then sharing this data with other users worldwide.

It is possible to download a demo version  but this does not allow sharing.
http://www.coaa.co.uk/shipplotter.htm

Regards
Allan (Eurag)

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:02:25 PM »
In my opinion, reducing the AISfree service is clearly a signal that the product has been sufficient enough for the private users and this reduction seems a desperate move in order to get people to pay nearly 1000 euros per year for the full package. I wonder how many ship enthusiasts (who I'm 100% sure that most of the AISfree service users are) have now switched to the full service... I believe none, or then they have too much cash in their pockets. I think the whole AIS service won't last long, otherwise these kind of reductions would not have been made.

Brgds,
Aleksi

Offline ynnor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vesseltracker.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
We from vesseltracker.com plan to extend our network coverage to whole europe and compete with aislive. At the moment we only cover nothern Germany and part of the dutch coast.

At the moment we only have 10 antennas and we are looking for more.

With the free account you get vesselinformation with 1 hour delay, the realtime account.

We are looking for people who help us to extend out network.

A setup kit costs 799.- euro, and consists of a linux pc, an ais receiver a cx4 antenna.

With buying a kit you get lifetime free access to our service.

It would be great if you could help us to expand our network.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:39 AM »
专业流水线制造商,您身边的流水线制造专家

Offline PSV nut

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
i use aisliverpool myself it is only several minutes behind on the vessel movements i use it for tracking psv`s in and around aberdeen harbour.

Offline John Eaton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:23:06 PM »
Hi All
I use Shipplotter and an AIS receiver which gives me local coverage, but only up to a range of 20 miles or so. The'share' setting allows other users to share my signals and me to receive theirs.
Further to the point made earlier about Lloyds-Fairplay subscriptions - there are obviously only interested in the commercial market and will do all they can to discourage 'hobbyists'. Maybe they should look at whats happened to the recording industry who have been forced to lower their CD/DVD prices because of the competition from P2P sites.
Good luck to the new AIS competition - we wish you well. If I had the money to set up your system, I gladly would.
Regards
John :-)

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
I use that AISlive for my local area of Teesport. But now i can only see just a map no ships! I might as well use google earth for maps!
But then again i know that they have done this before and cut all the shipping movements off for a few days. Give it time and they MIGHT bring it back. Hopefully

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 04:18:10 PM »

NLHOBDAY wrote:
I use that AISlive for my local area of Teesport. But now i can only see just a map no ships! I might as well use google earth for maps!
But then again i know that they have done this before and cut all the shipping movements off for a few days. Give it time and they MIGHT bring it back. Hopefully

Hi Nathan

Of course it could be that there are no ships with their AIS running in te Port of Tees or Tees Bay - doubtful I reckon  :lol:

Remember that the AIS Liverpool web site is fed from a volunteer somewere in the North East who runs both his/her AIS set and PC on a 24/7 basis. I would imagine that from time to time they do have to power down - these may be the times you see no action taking place.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »
Well mine has come back online, showing both ships in dock in the bay and which are moving.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk