Author Topic: Cranes bound for Felixstowe  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Cranes bound for Felixstowe
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:45:44 PM »
Hi
This week I'm sure there was a crane carrying ship alongside in Felixstowe. Possibly the cranes were unloaded before I returned to my own ship. Could anyone confirm this?
There are definatly two other ships carrying cranes, one was alongside this morning and the other out at anchor in the Sunk anchorage.
I don't know how far these cranes reach out, but the port seems to be investing heavy in container cranes, as there have been frequant sighting of these ships in the past. They usually go to the last berth in the port, the one where the large ships go.
Regards
Karl
 :-)

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cranes bound for Felixstowe
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:52 PM »
Hi Karl
 One sailed yesterday (17.08) morning 11.29 the second docked this (18.08) morning 09.56 times are from the port website

Regards
Ian
[color=0000FF]dumpieship[/color]

Offline Pedro Baptista

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.transportes-xxi.net/tmaritimo
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:41:54 PM »
Hi Karl!

How do those cranes look like? TToday a ship was loaded wit two cranes here in Lisbon, but I don't know if that was importation or not.

Take a look at this picture.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=272577

Cheers.

Pedro

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »
Hi Ian
Thanks for that bit of infomation. This confirms that there were three of these ships in the area. There is still one alongside and one in the anchorage when we sailed today (Saturday).

Hi Pedro
The cranes are on Chinese ships which can be best described as barges with accommodation aft and a high bow forward. There are four to five crance on each ship. They are loaded with the booms down and pointed out to one side. The following picture is a similar ship: http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=257599
There was a programme on the Shy Channel Discovery in which these ships were featured. It showed how they were loaded & unloaded.
Regards
Karl

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:34:53 PM »
ZHEN HUA 1 sailed at 11:29 on the 17/08/06. Arrived from Shanhai and sail for Valletta.
I believe that ZHEN HUA 5 is also around as well.

Bob

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
Hi Derek
Thanks for that piece of info. There is a Zhen Hua class ship in the Sunk anchorage at the moment, and has been there all week. I was told the officer on duty on the bridge at the time we went past, that this ship was the Zhen Hui 1. It has four cranes onboard. He also states, as you do, its destination is Malta. I won't know if it is still there tomorrow (Tuesday) as I'm going home.
Another officer told me that the ship we saw alongside was delivering RTG's, we could see them at the top of the quay. He also said that there are a total of 16 cranes on order for the port, to replace all the current cranes, and, that the crane which was damaged is going to scrapped. How true these statements are I don't know, perhaps someone in Felixstowe could comment on them.
Regards
Karl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk