Author Topic: 25.July 1956 : who remembers ?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
25.July 1956 : who remembers ?
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:30:46 AM »
... fifty years ago passenger liners "Andrea Doria" and "Stockholm" collided off New York. Who remembers ?
Read more:
http://www.andreadoria.org/
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: 25.July 1956 : who remembers ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:26:10 AM »
I remember as a little boy watching news coverage on black & white TV.  TV camera crews chartered planes and helicopters and shot footage of the Doria from dawn until she rolled over and sank several hours later.  While it was not able to be broadcast live as now, the footage was able to be shown only 1-2 hours after it was shot.  I think it was perhaps my first experience of major diaster TV coverage.
Best,

Charles

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:39:02 PM »
Hi Portagent

Like Charmctug I remember seeing the news reports on black and white tv. Amazing to think, it was 50 years ago.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Michael V Ralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:40:16 PM »
Hello Charles,
Like you, I also remember that night listening to my small radio as this disaster unfolded... I was at that time 13 years-old and a avid collector of Ocean Liner (no cruise ships then!) materials and I haunted the various ship lines almost on a weekly basis for new "stuff" - I jumped out of bed and opened my files and found a wealth of materials on Andrea Doria including photos, deckplans and delux brochures on her and sister ship Cristoforo Colombo. Needless to say I was relieved to have these items as I went to the local Italian Line office after it re-opened three days after the sinking - only to find hostility and empty racks where the Doria brochures we located! Caustic comments (in Italian) about this little disaster freak wanting this material. They claimed it was burned the day before... Oh well... I recently acquired a full size Travel Agent poster in original frame at a local Antique store - cheap! The "stuff" is still out there! I am now located in the Clearwater area of Florida (retired). Where are you located?
Mike - SunViking2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk