Author Topic: Prolific Dutch photographers in the 19 sixties and seventies  (Read 2739 times)

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
Prolific Dutch photographers in the 19 sixties and seventies
« on: October 22, 2021, 05:42:40 PM »
Have any of them ever published a book or website or posted online?.

I have seen very few of their photos and it would be such a shame if they were never seen by us enthusiasts.

I once logged 108 ship movements in the New Waterway in one day in May 1984.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:49:25 PM by teachers »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
Re: Prolific Dutch photographers in the 19 sixties and seventies
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
I remember Hans Krayenbosch taking ne to a local photo shop to top up my film supplies in 1989 as I was running out near the end of 5 days on the New Waterway - 274 new to me ships in that time and 24 print films for processing :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:32:53 PM by Patrick Hill »

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:19:02 PM »
Not exactly fitting your criteria, but an example of what can be possible by collating photoes into a publication is A. de Schipper and J. Janse's 2003 publication MSC 30 Years of Success in 2003. 80 pages of photoes majority in colour, taken from their earliest days in the seventies by various photographers not necessarily local, but mainly taken in the Antwerp/Rotterdam region. The Ocean Ships series would also be representative though in a different perspective, don't recall any others with photoes in bulk as you suggest, a great idea but maybe that "boat has now sailed". 

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Thanks Patrick and Brent for your comments on this topic.

My first trip to the New Waterway was 25 September 1983, overnight ferry from Hull, straight off the ferry Sunday morning to Rozenburg and met 3 dutch photographers minutes after arriving, they were waiting for the SAUDI PRINCE which was inward bound and offered to take me a bit further up the waterway so the sun would be in a better position, i am sure one of them was Hans Krayenbosch.
I remember C Van Noort having some photos in Marine news, the World ship society monthly publication.

Offline David Hornsby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
My first visit to the Nieuwe Waterweg was in 1977 (via Olau Line Sheerness-Vlissingen), before even thinking of taking over as editor of Ocean Ships. Since 1982, I have visited every year, sometimes many visits - even organising coach groups for UK shipping friends - until the Covid lockdowns. I have many happy memories of meeting Hans Kraijenbosch, Jan Kakebeeke and many other Dutch contributors around Rotterdam and of course on the North Sea Canal and Scheldt. I still hold many prints that could not be included due to space limits in the book editions and these also bring back many memories.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »
just to let you know, I was active around the New Waterway from late 1970's till about mid 1988, so you may have seen me, but I did not engage much in conversations. Hans Kraayenbosch is still very much active, but does not publish here.

Offline Geoffrey Watson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://-
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »
I worked in and around the Port of London for over 50 years. I have produced six books with my photographs (not just London but all over Europe) which are available from me (UK only) or from Amazon.

Many from my slides scanned over 18 months.
[color=000033]Geoff. Watson[/color]

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 03:28:47 PM »
Hi Pieter, thanks for your comment, a number of your photos on site appear to have been taken same time as me so we must have been very close on a number of occasions.

Thanks David for your interesting comment, i only have one edition of Ocean ships but do not recall any photos from our Dutch friends.

Thanks Geoffrey for your interest in this topic.

Hopefully one day we might see some more of these photos posted on Shipspotting.

Offline David Hornsby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
In most of the 1980's and 1990's editions of Ocean Ships, Hans Kraijenbosch was the most prolific photograph provider and always top of the 'royalties' lists, probably because he also sent the most photographs for the 'editors consideration'!!

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 01:07:19 PM »
My first visit to the New Waterway was October 1974. Then I could not afford to photograph everything that came past! I have scanned a few slides from that time and subsequent yearly visits. However I was not much of a photographer then!
brgds
Derek

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »
Hello David, you have certainly answered my question with that comment, i have just checked the only edition i have seen and it was 1971.

Hi Derek, i wish i had been there as early as your first visit, you must have some fantastic memories, just a few years before my first trip i had to settle with on average about 5 or 6 ships per tide for quite a few hours standing around, my first day there blew me away, cloud 9 after what i had been used to.

Niels Johannes

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 08:18:23 PM »
The collection of Jan Anderiesse and Patrick Andries are certainly worth a look:

http://www.shipspotters.nl/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2577&start=499

Many unique photos taken during 1960s and 1970s.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 08:07:18 AM »
Hello David, you have certainly answered my question with that comment, i have just checked the only edition i have seen and it was 1971.

Hi Derek, i wish i had been there as early as your first visit, you must have some fantastic memories, just a few years before my first trip i had to settle with on average about 5 or 6 ships per tide for quite a few hours standing around, my first day there blew me away, cloud 9 after what i had been used to.

Hi David, I will have to try and get around to scanning a few more I posted some on here many years ago.

best regards
Derek

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
Hello Niels, thanks for the link, had a quick look this morning, amazing photos and many pages.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk