ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suez Canal blockage by Ever Given  (Read 17857 times)
pieter melissen
Photo Corrections
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:57 am »

Brett, here is your answer.

https://www.lloydsloadinglist.com/freight-directory/news/%E2%80%98Ever-Given%E2%80%99-vessel-owner-declares-%E2%80%98general-average%E2%80%99/78806.htm

I guess the article that I referred to was written by somebody who is not very versed in Maritime Law, and so am I by the way. It is going to be difficult, as the terminal has already stated that they cannot allocate 9000 units. If I understand the article correctly there is no loss of any cargo, but the cargo owners will be asked to contribute to the cost of the damage, in the widest of terms, caused by the ship.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:33:16 am by pieter melissen » Report to moderator   Logged
Brett Bachmann
Quite a regular

Duncan Dock, Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2021, 09:46:49 am »

Thanks Pieter, I do now recall reading that article. Most insurance will cover GA if you are indeed adequately insured. Depending on your terms of sale...one would be foolish to not include full cover...In a nutshell, GA is : The definition of a general average is: Rule A. “There is a General Average Act, WHEN and ONLY when, any EXTRAORDINARY SACRIFICE or EXPENDITURE is INTENTIONALLY and REASONABLY made or incurred for THE COMMON SAFETY for the purpose of PRESERVING FROM PERIL the property involved in a COMMON MARITIME ADVENTURE”. When the carrier limits liability and seeks monetary contribution from those in the 'common venture'. Failing which, a lien will be placed on the cargo.....hope that helps !  Shocked
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: