ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: "Emma Mærsk" - Odense Lindø yard No. 203 (World's largest containership) - Pictures / dimensions  (Read 43421 times)
Mats
Top Poster

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:49:20 pm »

Here's the most illustrative photo of her yet (in my opinion): http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=229829

1: NEW THREAD - WHY?
I hope nobody minds that I start a new thread on the giant new AP Møller - Mærsk containership “Emma Mærsk” to be delivered shortly. Two different threads already exist, but have recently largely been discussing the recent fire on board.

This new thread can be used to share details and pictures/links regarding "Emma Mærsk" now that the delivery is just a few weeks away.

2: DETAILS / MOULDED DIMENSIONS RELEASED
I have access to the brilliant Lloyd's Register / Fairplay "Sea-Web" database (www.sea-web.com), which contains extensive and updated records (and pictures) for 158.000 vessels (i.e. all vessels afloat and all vessels scrapped or lost since the late 1960s).

The database now contains updated details and also the moulded dimensions on L203 to be named “Emma Mærsk”. Here they are:
[I have included corresponding details for "Gudrun Mærsk" (GM) in square parenthesis]

Name: “Emma Mærsk”
Port of registry: Taarbæk (in English: Taarbaek)
IMO No: 9321483
Call sign: OYGR2

LOA 398.0 m      [GM: 367.28]
LBP 376.0 m      [GM: 351.08]
B 56.4 m         [GM: 42.8]
D 30.2           [GM: 24.1]
Draught 15.5 m   [GM: 15.0]

GT 110.000       [GM: 97.933]
123.200 dwt.     [GM: 115.700]
(This deadewight may be nominal, with actual max. deadweight being even higher)
Containers: 10.500 TEU (nominal)
Reefer plugs: 1.300
– Max intake (according to press reports only): 13.460 TEU

Machinery: 1 oil engine driving 1 FP propeller at 102 rpm
Total Power: Mcr 80,080kW(108,876hp), Csr 68,068kW(92,545hp)
Service Speed: 24.50kts

3: JUST HOW BIG IS SHE?
Based on the above numbers, she is as wide as a typical 300.000 dwt VLCC, and 70 meters longer. No bulk carriers or ore carriers are that long. The only vessels that have ever been longer, are these seven ULCCs:

- "Knock Nevis" (ex "Jahre Viking", "Seawise Giant") at 458 meters (still in existence, now operating as an FSO for Maersk Oil in Qatar)

- The four 555.000 dwt tankers built in France for Elf and Shell in the late 1970s, all 414 meters long. Three were broken up around 1985 ("Batillus", "Bellamya" and "Pierre Guillaumat"), the final one ("Sea Giant" ex "Hellas Fos" ex "Prairial") in 2003)

- The two 516.000 dwt tankers "Esso Atlantic" and "Esso Pacific", built in 1977 at Hitachi for Esso. They were 406 meters long. Both were broken up in 2002/2003 as "Kapetan Michalis" and "Kapetan Giannis".

Thus, unless someone disagrees, "Emma Mærsk" would be the second longest vessel currently in existence - and the longest one actually sailing the oceans today!

Bjarne and Jesper – we look forward to seeing your photos of the blue giant.

Best regards
Mats
Report to moderator   Logged
Milind Balaji
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 04:39:06 am »

Damn, I am now getting excited about this new giant. Moller simply never fails to amaze me with their relentless pursuit of engineering and ship design excellence. This lindo Yard has been the pioneer in a few ship design areas and continues to trailblaze. I remember the day the last " Emma Maersk" was launched, I think in 1993 when she was part of the first double hulled tanker series.
I cannot wait to see the pictures of this new "emma".

Mats
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:03:23 am »

Here are some pictures showing the damaged superstructure being removed, and the new one being installed:
http://www.odensehavn.dk/c.php?id=35

Wow, that is a huge vessel!

Here are some videos showing the same:
http://www.tv2fyn.dk/modules/tv2fyn/video.php?str=Lind%F8
(See the first 3-4 videos)

I got the video link from Bjarne Johansen, whom I understand may also be travelling to Lindø to photograph the vessel at the end of July.

Best regards
Mats
Bjarne Johansen
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:27:04 pm »

Hallo Mats

I have been there with my camera on a sunny evening.
The shipyard do not inform anything about the name, but the ship are planned to leave august 16,th 5.30 in the afternoon.
http://www.oss.dk/

I have put a single photo on shipspotting with "Mega" Maersk and a Bulkcarrier.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=265922

Best regard

Bjarne
Charles McAllister
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:12:49 am »

Thanks, Bjarne, for an excellent photo, a view of the ship (without cargo) which will rarely be seen again.  From your photo, two things are clear:

1. She is a beautiful ship, with graceful lines, nicely proportioned.

2. She is  huge.

Best,

Charles
Phil English
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 07:59:52 am »

Bjarne, thanks for posting this great photo. However, why do we have to wait for Moller to officially announce further details before you post any more? You say that the tour boat came quite close so, presumably, you have some close ups?

We all know that Moller are very coy about their new ships, but I didn't think that prevented us, as shipspotters, from sharing what information and photos we have. Unless, of course, you work for Moller?

Phil
Andrew McAlpine
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:10:32 pm »

It would be great to see more pictures before she is named in 8 days time, as usual maersk are setting another milestone with this new vessel, hope to see more pictures very soon.   :-D
Mats
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 09:30:44 pm »

Her name is confirmed. I've seen pictures of her taken a few days ago, with the name "Emma Mærsk" now painted on her hull. (The pictures aren't mine, so unfortunately I cannot post them.)

This vessel is HUGE! Just a few days left until she leaves the yard for trials...

Best regards
Mats
Bjarne Johansen
Home away from home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 09:31:18 am »

I have posted some of them.  She wil get her official name tomorrow and the name Emma Maersk is mentioned in several danish web sites.

Take a look under the name Emma Maersk

Best regards  Bjarne
cazenove
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:02:56 pm »

She is truly a beauty.What is surprising though is that Maersk have declared her capacity at 11000 TEU.
The earlier series was rated at 7000 TEU..
According to the press report, she will be phased into the AE1.
Andrew McAlpine
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 06:30:20 pm »

She is a real beauty just a shame i wont see her in Southhampton, the following is an artical in tomorrows lloyds list;

"MAERSK has smashed the world record with a new containership that is at least 10% larger than anything else afloat.

Newbuilding L-203 was formally named Emma Maersk at AP Moller-Maersk’s Odense-Lindo yard in Denmark on Saturday.

The company broke its usual silence about the size of its ships by declaring the nominal capacity of the 397 m long giant at 11,000 teu.

That is 1,000 teu more than the biggest ships being built in Asia. With no chance of other lines taking delivery of tonnage that large at least until 2010, Maersk now has a huge lead time over competitors and the ability to gain considerable economies of scale and much lower slot costs, depending on how capital costs are allocated.

Emma Maersk will also rank as one of the largest refrigerated cargoships in the world, able to take 1,000 40ft reefer containers.

With Maersk’s reputation for understating the true size of its ships, there has been speculation that the theoretical capacity could be closer to 15,000 teu, measured in conventional terms.

Obscuring the practical capacity will be the fact that every cell in the Emma Maersk is thought to be able to take highcube containers. At 9 ft 6 inches, these are 12 inches higher than standard containers.

That would reduce the number of individual containers the ship could load, although not the volume of cargo carried.

The vessel was named Emma Maerskin memory of AP Moller-Maersk chairman Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller’s wife, who died last December.

Their daughter Ane Maersk Mc-Kinney Uggla, accompanied by her husband, Peder Uggla, named the newbuilding.

Maersk said the world’s largest containership would set new standards for safety and environment. The hull is coated with environmentally friendly silicon paint below the waterline, which reduces water resistance and cuts the vessel’s fuel consumption by 1,200 tonnes per year.

Emma Maersk is powered by a 14-cylinder Wärtsilä RT-flex diesel engine which generates 110,000 bhp.

After sea trials, it is scheduled to enter Maersk’s AE1 Europe-Asia service, with the first commercial sailing from Gothenburg in mid-September.

With a width of 53 m, the ship is able to carry 22 rows of containers across its decks. The broadest until now, in service with Mediterranean Shipping Co, takes 18 rows.

Assessing the technical specifications of Emma Maersk,French analyst AXSLiner said the real intake could be as much as 50% greater than the biggest ships now in service.

With seven tiers stacked on deck, and allowing for visibility rules, the ship could carry around 13,500 teu, the firm reckons. An eighth layer would bring nominal capacity to above 14,000 teu.

A 40 ft highcube container is equivalent to 2.24 teu, says AXSLiner. If Maersk’s figure of 11,000 teu was based on highcubes, capacity in terms of standard boxes would equate to about 12,300 teu.

Maersk is thought to have another 10 E-class ships on order at the LindØ yard for delivery up to mid-2009. But later ships in the series could be stretched to as much as 420 m, according to AXSLiner, bringing nominal capacity to 15,000 teu with seven tiers on deck."

Artical courtesy of lloyds list.
nktoofan
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 05:57:03 am »

M/S EMMA MÆRSK
(Lindø No. 203)
Port of Registry: Taarbæk

M/S EMMA MÆRSK is a very large container ship built byOdense Steel Shipyard Ltd. for the A.P. Moller - Maersk Group.
The ship has a capacity of about 11,000 twenty foot containers.
The main particulars are as follows:
Length o.a. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 397 metres
Beam. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56 metres
Depth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 metres
M/S EMMA MÆRSK has been built applying the newest technology in design and equipment.
The propulsion machinery is a 14-cylinder Wärtsilä diesel engine from Doosan Engine Co. developing 110,000 BHP or
80,000 kW at 102 revolutions per minute. To augment speed the propeller drive shaft is fitted with two
electric motors.
Five diesel generators with a combined power of 20,700 kW and one combined gas/steam turbine generator of 8,500 kW
driven by the main engine exhaust are installed. A waste heat recovery system is installed to optimise the use of
the energy produced. The bunker fuel tanks are all placed away from the hull. In the engine room and cargo holds 8,000 data signals are continuously monitored by an advanced, integrated computer system. This ensures optimal operating conditions automatically giving guidance to ensure a well functioning operation of the vessel.
The centre for the integrated computer system is the engine control room. The system can also be remote-controlled from
the navigating bridge and from the cargo control room. M/S EMMA MÆRSK can carry 1,000 forty foot reefer containers.
Quick and safe lashing of the containers on deck is made possible through the yard patented lashing bridge.
The life-saving equipment consists of two 38 persons’ lifeboats,six life rafts and one man-over-board boat. Two bow and two stern thrusters, each with of 25 tons transverse thrust, are fitted to facilitate easy manoeuvring in port. Rolling in adverse weather conditions is reduced by two pairs of active stabilizer fins, thus adding an extra dimension to cargo protection.
The latest radio, telex, telefax, and satellite telephone systems ensure efficient communication to the world. An air conditioning system gives comfortable indoor temperatures regardless of outside weather. Combined with a low level of noise and vibrations this ensures ideal conditions for both work and leisure. M/S EMMA MÆRSK is a rational and highly automated ship thoroughly monitored by advanced computer systems. The ship can therefore be operated by a crew of 13 persons only. Accommodation is arranged for 30 persons. M/S EMMA MÆRSK is designed and built to meet the highest demands for safe, precise, environmentally friendly and economic transportation of goods all over the world.

:hammer:
Mats
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 08:01:36 am »

I just checked AIS Live. "Emma Mærsk" is still docked at the quay at the Odense yard. She is scheduled to leave the yard today.

I will try to track her and let you know when she leaves, in case anyone want to know.

Best regards
Mats
hendrik-sg
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 08:40:35 am »

can you give us the link how to watch emma leaving the pier

thanks,

hendrik
Mats
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 09:05:03 am »

Unfortunetely, you have to be a subscriber to AIS Live (www.aislive.com).

I have heard she will leave at 1730 this afternoon.

Best regards
Mats
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: