Author Topic: Site policemen  (Read 2037 times)

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Site policemen
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
Does anyone else feel that there are too many people starting to try and police the site with regard to copyright of photographs, often making vague comments such as "copyright????", without actually knowing if there is a copyright breach.

No-one should question the copyright of a photograph unless they actually know there has been a breach, i.e. they know the original source of the photograph, and can actually prove there has been a breach. Making vague accusations impinges on the integrity of the poster, which may be totally unjustified. Any doubts should be expressed privately to the Webmaster, so they can investigate without the integrity of the poster being questioned in public. The Webmaster can publish any conclusions if they feel it's appropriate.

Personally I'm only concerned if the copyright of any of my own photographs is breached. I leave the policing of any potential third party breaches for the Admin's, who can do that work in private.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Site policemen
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »
Some people are concerned by what they see as the apparent lowering of standards on this site compared to what they were in the past.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 11:31:15 AM »
i miss the ye olde times on this site, when i was about cameradery, and trying to post the best pictures possible.

Tomas & Son

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
Some people are concerned by what they see as the apparent lowering of standards on this site compared to what they were in the past.

I can accept that, although I don't necessarily agree. And it's right that those concerns are expressed, but attaching such comments to a specific photograph without actually being able to prove a breach of copyright is not the right way to go about it.

There are several current forum topics on this at the moment, where these issues can be rightly debated. All vaguely commenting on specific photographs does is case doubts on the integrity of the poster, which may be totally unjustified.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
This kinda reminds me of those times when some users raised a ruckus about photographs that they did not consider "good enough" getting too many views and ending up on the front page under "most viewed". Sometimes photographers were even blamed for e.g. spamming the link elsewhere just to get more views.

Edit: However, I acknowledge that we need a clear policy with regard to posting photographs taken by someone else. I also want to keep Shipspotting.com as a site that respects copyright.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:30:15 PM by Tuomas Romu »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk