ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive respect to all pilots out there !  (Read 1097 times)
MattB
Home away from home

It's me and you may find me annoying.

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:27 pm »

Hi Forum and especially to the pilots,

After witnessing some horrendous conditions at sea, the pilots get some serious respect from myself. If the photo loads up, just look at the pitching of this vessel just outside the 'heads' at Milford Haven. I could see a guy on the main ladder but it's the rope ladder hanging down and how much steelwork is visible below it as the vessel rolls to the other side. I guess it's all about choosing "the moment".

Best wishes and stay safe you guys.
Report to moderator   Logged
Daniel Bérubé
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:12:42 pm »

This small red dot on the gangway must be the pilot. So he made it. But what an amazing photo!
simonwp
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:04:22 pm »

I'm assuming the vessel was leaving as it's light. In which case the pilot is disembarking. This should not have taken place, the conditions we're too bad for such a transfer. The pilot should have been overcarried to either the vessels next port, or a more sheltered place for disembarkation. In the current circumstances overcarrying to the next port has additional difficulties, so a more sheltered place should have been used. If all else fails the vessels sailing should be cancelled until the weather improves.
MattB
Home away from home

It's me and you may find me annoying.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 07:17:16 pm »

Hi Simon,

I'm not sure whether the transfer took place or not. One minute the guy in red was there on the gangway, the next he was gone ! I wondered whether he was part of the crew maybe.
3SX
Photo Corrections
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 09:11:35 pm »

Sometimes in a stormy weather pilots unable to disembark from large ships leaving port of Ventspils, they sailing onboard through Baltic Sea to Copenhagen then (2 days) and take flight back   Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: