Author Topic: Massive respect to all pilots out there !  (Read 3344 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
Massive respect to all pilots out there !
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »
Hi Forum and especially to the pilots,

After witnessing some horrendous conditions at sea, the pilots get some serious respect from myself. If the photo loads up, just look at the pitching of this vessel just outside the 'heads' at Milford Haven. I could see a guy on the main ladder but it's the rope ladder hanging down and how much steelwork is visible below it as the vessel rolls to the other side. I guess it's all about choosing "the moment".

Best wishes and stay safe you guys.

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Massive respect to all pilots out there !
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:12:42 PM »
This small red dot on the gangway must be the pilot. So he made it. But what an amazing photo!

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »
I'm assuming the vessel was leaving as it's light. In which case the pilot is disembarking. This should not have taken place, the conditions we're too bad for such a transfer. The pilot should have been overcarried to either the vessels next port, or a more sheltered place for disembarkation. In the current circumstances overcarrying to the next port has additional difficulties, so a more sheltered place should have been used. If all else fails the vessels sailing should be cancelled until the weather improves.

Offline LPX

• Photo Corrections
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »
Sometimes in a stormy weather pilots unable to disembark from large ships leaving port of Ventspils, they sailing onboard through Baltic Sea to Copenhagen then (2 days) and take flight back   Wink

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 12:25:01 PM »
Two more pilots - and a Philippine Navy petty officer - worthy of every respect:

"Two Brazilian pilots who averted an environmental disaster and an officer from the Philippines who ensured the survival of fellow passengers from a sinking vessel while off-duty will receive the 2020 IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea."
https://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/pages/34-Bravery-2020.aspx
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:52:27 PM by davidships »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:12 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk