Author Topic: Should the vessels in Aliaga be used temporary in Beruit?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Should the vessels in Aliaga be used temporary in Beruit?
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
Now, we know that Aliaga, Turkey has accepted a lot of vessels to be scrapped, but the explosion in Beruit, Lebanon has left people homeless. I propose that we have the Lebanese government lease the vessels that haven't started scrapped and tow them to Lebanon to temporary be used as housing accommodation and hospitals. Now the Sovereign is a lost cause, but the Monarch, Fantasy, and Inspiration can still be used. Sure, they will have to eventually return to Turkey, but shouldn't they be used to help people?
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Should the vessels in Aliaga be used temporary in Beruit?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:41 PM »
Why bother with ships already driven ashore on the scrapyard when the world's oceans are full of idling but fully operational cruise ships?

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »
While the idea is a good one, I don't think it'll work. Cruise ships need a lot of money to keep them going - Even bunkers alone can be eye-wateringly expensive. When you then add onto that the cost of food/rations, berthing, crew to sail the ships from their current location to where they're needed... It gets real expensive real fast.

On top of that, you have to factor in that Beiruts port has a very sizeable hole in it, so it'll be very difficult or near impossible to moor the ship alongside the berth. You can't use the container terminal etc., as these facilities are desperately needed to bring in relief and to keep the economy moving. All of this assumes that Beirut is deep enough to accommodate the ships in the first place...

I'd also  argue that anything that's already sitting on the beach is a lost cause - Otherwise there's going to be even more costs involved hiring tugs etc. to pull the ships off the beach, then dry docking or at the least an underwater survey to find out what damage the beaching has done to the bottom plates, propellers, rudders, thrusters, etc.

And all of this is without thinking about what to do with all the stuff a cruise ship produces like sewerage etc.!

Personally I'd prefer to see other countries mobilising assistance in the form of aid, both financial and  physical, although given the current economic and political climate, plus COVID, I'm doubtful that Beirut will get anywhere near the amount of aid it needs.
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
One of the advantages of using cruise ships for emergency accommodation in disasters is that they are independent of shore facilities; they only need fuel and provisions. That's why they have been used in this role in the past as well.

However, the other points you make are valid and thus it's probably unlikely to see idle cruise ships being directed to Beirut.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:31:05 PM »
We can at least try to give these condemned vessels one last chance to serve the people.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:19:43 PM »
I think you need to accept that these ships are now done for and there is no way to salvage them for future service.

As has been said earlier even if there was a facility at Beruit to accomodate a ship there are plenty of ships laid up around the world that would better suit this than a few that are on a beach.

These oldies are gone and there is nothing that can be done about that now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk