ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fred Olsen's Sisters are Sold To the Breakers  (Read 2242 times)
Fatih Takmaklı
Quite a regular

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:10 pm »

Black Watch and Bouddica are sold to the breakers in Aliaga.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:31:05 pm by ftakma1 » Report to moderator   Logged

Angelgreat
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:38 pm »

I knew this was going to happen! First the Sovereign and Monarch, next the Fantasy and Imagination, now this!
Report to moderator   Logged
Clive Harvey
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:41 pm »

Unlike the other ships that have recently been sold to breakers, both Black Watch and Boudicca are almost 50 years old. What ever way you look at it that is old for a cruise ship. They are both lovely and I have sailed on Black Watch three times and twice on board Boudicca. I am sad to see them go but present circumstances apart these ships would not have been around for very much longer.
Angelgreat
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 01:49:58 am »

Unlike the other ships that have recently been sold to breakers, both Black Watch and Boudicca are almost 50 years old. What ever way you look at it that is old for a cruise ship. They are both lovely and I have sailed on Black Watch three times and twice on board Boudicca. I am sad to see them go but present circumstances apart these ships would not have been around for very much longer.

Yes, but it will leave Phoenix Reisen's Albatros as the remaining sister ship.
Emmanuel.L
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:01:58 am »

It does look as it is survival of the fittest, but rather the survivors do not carry the charm and beauty of these Corona victims. So the seas will inherit the "floating apartment blocks" as one by one these majestic old vessels will sail on their final journeys to the scrap yard leaving only memories and photos. No longer will these vessels charm our harbours thus leaving us ship lovers and photographers orphans by their demise.
regards
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)
DoverT
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:12:12 am »

I can't find any official confirmation of their sales.

Any links?

Rgds
Nigel T
Bob Scott
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 05:54:22 pm »

I have seen conflicting reports about the Fred Olsen "oldies", including reports from Fred Olsen that Black Watch and Boudicca are remaining in the fleet and that the Holland-America pair are additions to it. There is a lot of (too much?) speculation on this and other sites. Can someone come up with something official. In the last eight years or so I have spent the equivalent of over six months on the 1972-built pair and will be very sorry to see them go, regardless of how old they are.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:26:04 pm by Bob Scott » Report to moderator   Logged
Markus K

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:26:50 pm »

This does not speak for the early scrapping:

The Royal Viking-Veteran-Cruise in April 2021 with BLACK WATCH:

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/group-travel/royal-viking-line-veterans
Angelgreat
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:27 am »

Well according to Fred Olsen, the Black Watch and Boudicca don't leave the fleet until September 2020 when the fleet recieves Amsterdam and Rotterdam and renames them MS Bolette and MS Borealis respectfully, so we still have around a month left to save the vessels!

Here is a link: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23248-fred-olsen-buys-amsterdam-and-rotterdam.html
Kyle Stubbs
Top Poster

Something something Danger Zone.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:55 am »

Fred Olsen's parent company Bonheur ASA put out a press release on July 15th regarding the purchase of the two vessels from HAL in conjunction with the coming "divestment of two vessels within the current fleet."

https://www.bonheur.no/latest-news1?SelectedRelease=http://publish.ne.cision.com/Release/GetDetail/7CDB812CA7F9D5C5

That in itself doesn't specify which vessels will be divested of, but I suppose some have seen the writing on the wall.

"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain
Angelgreat
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 04:37:44 pm »

There's still time to save the vessels.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: