Author Topic: Giant bulk carrier runs aground on reef off Mauritius  (Read 5671 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Giant bulk carrier runs aground on reef off Mauritius
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
Looks like a practice for Alang.

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
Thanks to Jerzy Rakowski for the notice,I wonder the small repercussion in this forum. The ship now is spilling her bunkers. Another video HERE
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:13:30 AM by victor radio74 »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
According to German news the oil spill is endangering a nature reserve (a small island) on the south-eastern coast of Mauritius and some oil has already reached the shore...  >:(

The government of Mauritius says that the island is insufficiently equipped for such a situation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:34:19 PM by Jens Boldt »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »
Of course they are ill equipped !!!
It,s all over the world same story, something goes wrong, suddenly the coastal countries or isles don,t have the infrastructure or the know how or equipment they would need. It happened with the Exxon Valdez,, the Erika, the Pallas,,and all in locations where one would say,,well they may be able to deal with it,, now imagine a small island in the middle of the Indian Ocean !!!!! We like it or not, something like that will happen again. How it can happen and how this happened, one can only speculate or wait until an official report is issued.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 05:45:25 AM »
Of course they are ill equipped !!!
It,s all over the world same story, something goes wrong, suddenly the coastal countries or isles don,t have the infrastructure or the know how or equipment they would need. It happened with the Exxon Valdez,, the Erika, the Pallas,,and all in locations where one would say,,well they may be able to deal with it,, now imagine a small island in the middle of the Indian Ocean !!!!! We like it or not, something like that will happen again. How it can happen and how this happened, one can only speculate or wait until an official report is issued.

How well equipped is your home in case of a plane crash?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 07:54:59 AM »

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »

MY POINT !!!!

so perhaps you could have added that it is a lost case for the authorities to fight against people who cannot sail a ship. Your comment gave me the impression that the authorities were to blame for not being equipped.

Offline rgr004

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »
Not sure if someone was looking at the noon position I suspect vessel was reporting to charterer / owners, anyhow is appears she had been on the same course on ground for more than four days.
Such accident looks unbelievable at first glance, could it be crew was exhausted after too many months on board without any rest due to problems linked to Covid-19 preventing crews from being  relieved in due time ?
https://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/5f322610d86f15b6746a215b/960x0.jpg?fit=scale
https://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/5f3093846af08c5511640609/960x0.jpg?fit=scale
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nishandegnarain/2020/08/09/how-satellites-traced-the-fateful-journey-of-the-ship-that-led-to--mauritius-worst-oil-spill-disaster/
Short note about Erika, that ship was a rotten rust bucket which should have been prevented to be on the T/C market. Once that kind of scenario happens there is no place in the world where one can

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 12:18:23 AM »
rgr004
Short note about Erika, that ship was a rotten rust bucket which should have been prevented to be on the T/C market. Once that kind of scenario happens there is no place in the world where one can

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 12:29:32 AM »

MY POINT !!!!

so perhaps you could have added that it is a lost case for the authorities to fight against people who cannot sail a ship. Your comment gave me the impression that the authorities were to blame for not being equipped.

Well Pieter,, we don,t have to discuss who is at fault,, clearly the crew/vessel. What I point out, that even still in todays world there are areas which do not prepare adequately for such situations, and possibly can,t even as it is not cheap. However, if you look at the shipping routes worldwide, islands like Mauritius are in the middle of the route CoGH - Malacca and therefore, perhaps someone should have realized at some point that sooner or later something will happen. But as you know possibly, a lot stuff is done on paper and not followed up in reality (i.e. Beirut comes to mind, and that,s not the only port with inadequate safety measures for such cargoes, if you know what I mean) Things always changing (at least for a while) when something big happens, see Exxon Valdez/Amoco Cadiz and so on. Next thing in this case, certain requirement to keep a minimum distance when passing land area, special with big ships like those. Can it be done,,sure,,question is,,how it is enforced and who covers the cost.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
Captain Ted

Perhaps shipping routes could be laid out in such a way that vulnerable places will at all time be avoided. Remember the MSC Zoe? She took the shortcut through less deep water and subsequently lost 300 containers. That was a cynical business decision, because she had to keep her schedule. And what can the affected Dutch Islands do help their case? Plead with IMO that shipping should obey at all time what authorities ask them to do? You know of course about all the US maritime Law companies that represent the cheap flag states within IMO. Such thing will take ages because it is king dollar that decides.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
Hi Pieter

of course, it will take ages as you said,IMO is a "hindrance institution" in itself and seemingly only there to provide well paid jobs and plenty of high class travels to conventions in cities world wide where in the end nothing really was decided beside to meet again in 6 month in another high class Hotel in a high class city. Therefore I said, that any country can put minimum passing requirements to their coasts by themselves. Like in this case 12nm and the ship might have not even been close to the shoreline. At least there is then a chance, if a ship breaks down to catch it before grounding by tug or the crew would have time to do repair/fix. Of course that does not really help when it comes to blatant ignorance and not doing !!!
Another thing, which comes to mind, also when it runs against nature of a sailor, to have to send passage plans to a central world-wide institution who checks it and ok,s it. After all, vessel are now tracked already by LRIT every 6 hrs and close to coasts by AIS (Which I hear suppose to be expanded to world wide) so, the tracking would be easy. But then again one can,t stop stupidity or ignorance.

As for the Reina, the decision to short-cut was sure based on time, which translates into money loss, however I was in the container business for a total of about 10 years  (left it in 2008) and the pressure on Masters is extreme when it comes to time.
One story : I was on a feeder in 97, Terneuzen/Immingham/Halmstad/Wallham/Moss/Immingham/Terneuzen, ,1 week rotation. We arrived in Moss like 1000 in winter, good snowing , off land wind, no tugs no pilots. Had a shitty time to get the ship onto the pier, normal a 15 min job,,took like 30-40 min. While I was trying, I noticed that the foreman was standing on the berth and shouting up to the forecastle and the gantry went down and back up, and then pulling his phone. When I was alongside holding the ship in place, with only the spring fwd over my cell phone was ringing. The owner of the vessel was on the phone and asked me why we were on strike !!!!!
What happened: The Bsn, for what ever reason mixed up the bays and took the bridge fittings off from the wrong containers. The foreman demanded, still while we were giving lines from the Officer/Bsn fwd to go right away and remove the fittings where the officer or Bsn gave the foreman most probably a not so decent answer. However the foreman called the agent,,he the charterer, that one the owner and he me !!!
all within rough 5-10 min and we were on strike !!!
That was and is reality, still today. Now imagine the Master complains,,the next time on vacation, unfortunatlely the next ship is delayed,,and no place free until you get the message,, one more time and you are "toast" .

Offline rgr004

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
Captain Ted,
Suspect you are confusing Erika with Prestige, Erika broke in two off France during a winter gale, her stern part quickly sank under tow.
Regarding fatigue, I was only willing to be

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk