Author Topic: Giant bulk carrier runs aground on reef off Mauritius  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Yvon Perchoc

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Giant bulk carrier runs aground on reef off Mauritius
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
Hi,
WAKASHIO broke in two today (15/08 15h40 LT).
The forepart will be towed and scuttled 1000 km off shore.
Sorry in French : https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/reunion/ile-maurice-wakashio-s-est-scinde-deux-861730.html
Regards,
Yvon
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:48:44 PM by Yvon Perchoc »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
Hi Yvone
Towing that part to India/Bangladesh for scrapping no option as to recover some money to be used mitigate impact of the disaster in Mauritius ?
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 06:47:06 AM »
AT rgr004,,thanks correction on Prestige/Erika.

Well,,latest what I read the vessel had a BD-party and sailed intentionally close to the island to get phone signal for internet.

The below,,too long aboard I disregard or at least question, as I have now 2 officers which both approach 12 month and the other now 6.
On  a trip like the one where the Wakashio was, from Malacca Strait to there is rough 10-12 days. If a officer goes everyday standard two watches of 4 hrs,,total 8 working hrs. Then they had plenty of rest time !!!! Special on those big bulkers,,after all its not a Feeder vessel with 5 ports a week !!! the trip China-Brazil is 35 to 40 days !!! Now hardly a stress situation. I understand of course that some people already going crazy when they are not released on a 4 month contract and sail 1 day longer. Years back 9-12 month contracts were standard, I did them by myself and can,t remember that it was looked at as too long. also in todays world any length of contract is already considered by some too long.

Captain Ted,
Suspect you are confusing Erika with Prestige, Erika broke in two off France during a winter gale, her stern part quickly sank under tow.
Regarding fatigue, I was only willing to be
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk