Author Topic: Marine Traffic  (Read 11953 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Marine Traffic
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
What is the fuss all about? I can clearly see whether a ship is in coming that will incite me to take my bicycle and make a ride to the river. That's the only thing I need (Except for the photographs, but that is another discussion topic).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:53:19 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
Yes, that's how I use it. If I see the tugs starting to move, I know it's time to leave home for ships sailing from Immingham, if I see the vessel rounding Spurn Head, it's time to leave for incoming. Gone are the days of hanging around on cold riverbanks waiting to see if anything moved!!!!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
that's fine, but when you are logging the actual arrival and departure times it is NOT fine.

All I am trying to find out is if MT have changed their rules and standards for free users.

Allan

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
that's fine, but when you are logging the actual arrival and departure times it is NOT fine.

Allan

Are you trying to establish port productivity in combination with actual load or discharge rates?

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 08:18:23 AM »
Another Marine traffic question

The aircraft carrier anchored in the Solent is showing as the Prince of Wales on MT but some facebook images show her as the Queen Elizabeth, can anyone confirm which she is?

Regards

Bob

Bob,

HMS Queen Elizabeth was anchored off Stokes Bay for two weeks quarantine prior to going on deployment. HMS Prince of Wales was alongside in Portsmouth when I saw them on Thursday.

Steve.

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »

Allan

Are you trying to establish port productivity in combination with actual load or discharge rates?

I found the arrival dates and times very useful, and not to discover load or discharge times.

It seems you need to have 400+ photos (plus one or two other caveats) for a free subscription, although that might change also.

MT are being a bit mean spirited here, and having used photos from hundreds of people to get where they are today have now limited some functionality that some people found useful.

Thing is what comes next?

Daft thing is, if you buy the

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
HMS Queen Elizabeth was anchored off Stokes Bay for two weeks quarantine prior to going on deployment. HMS Prince of Wales was alongside in Portsmouth when I saw them on Thursday.
Just wondering whether one of PoW's boats was out in the Solent producing the AIS trace seen on  Marine Traffic?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
I mentioned that the Marine Traffic photographs were a different subject.

I just came across this prime example:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:923592/mmsi:-7525827/imo:7525827/vessel:TRIAS

They also often label a photo a specific ship with the name that it had been carrying before.
I have asked them about that and it seems to be related to what the AIS signal is telling them. I have never uploaded a photo there, but is the info to the photo out of control from the photographer.

Just to indicate that I am not prepared to pay anything for their services.

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »
Since this morning, Marine Traffic has not been giving any times on way-points and is asking for an upgrade to access this information.   This has always been available on the free version.  Any one else noticed this or is it a glitch with my search engine?

Allan

Marine Traffic have been at it again!

A useful feature was to be able to click on a ship icon and then project this forward to a potential waypoint. This would give a date and approximate time at that point.

A recent update has removed that feature unless you subscribe.

For people who only use this occasionally but who have freely given their photos in support of MT, this seems yet another blow.

Steve

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 10:57:25 AM »
Marine Traffic have been at it again!

A useful feature was to be able to click on a ship icon and then project this forward to a potential waypoint. This would give a date and approximate time at that point.

A recent update has removed that feature unless you subscribe.
If you right click on the ship do you get any menu options?
If you do, click on "route from here" and then mark the track to see distance and times.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:47:24 AM by Owen Foley »

Offline teachers

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • David Gallichan Flickr albums
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
Marine traffic over here in Thailand has become almost useless for tracking live ship movements for the past 2 months.
There are many ships in port that are not even shown on the map.
Quite often you have to wait until a ship is well underway before you get anything, and quite often you just get one live echo.
I have a number of photos on there.
It does have some good points but i mainly use it for live tracking so i dont have to sit down by the river all day.
Like many places around the world, when you spend a lot of time there, it becomes harder and harder to see new ships.
The ship shedule i get over here every day is a great help, combined with marine traffic when it does show the odd ship live.

Offline BerlinShipper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
My developer in our company switched from Marine traffic to datalastic API because of these small issues. Another alternative.
https://datalastic.com/

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »
Since this morning, Marine Traffic has not been giving any times on way-points and is asking for an upgrade to access this information.   This has always been available on the free version.  Any one else noticed this or is it a glitch with my search engine?

Allan
Waypoints/times are appearing again on my screen
rgds

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2020, 02:36:12 PM »
still no way point info on mine unless I upgrade....

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
Well I have a free premum account,no pay,and just now I have waypoints/times
rgds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk