Author Topic: OCEANA sold  (Read 5978 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
OCEANA sold
« on: July 07, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
P&O confirm Oceana up for sale at end of this month.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OCEANA sold
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
Already sold according to P&O themselves. I read rumours in various Facebook groups about a sale to a Greek operator.

https://twitter.com/pandocruises/status/1280426346326503424
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:44:24 AM by Cedric Hacke »
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
A message from a crew member who said Oceana has been sold believed to be to Asian owners. She is currently being stripped of Carnival related goods, and her new home port will most probably be either in China or India.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
A message from a crew member who said Oceana has been sold believed to be to Asian owners. She is currently being stripped of Carnival related goods, and her new home port will most probably be either in China or India.

That means the Oceana may be sailing to the shipbreakers in either India or China. She's only 20. Likewise, the Costa Victoria was only 24 when sold for scrap.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Balticventure

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • taimoshan@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 07:15:51 AM »
The Oceana's sister ship in Australia is up for sale as well. Don't think it will be long for the Aurora, The Arcadia may survive as she does the Wold Cruises. but I somehow think her days are numbered as well.
I don't think I will ever travel on the new ship the Ionia, its to big and I am to afraid of a Covid-19 outbreak. 

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 05:13:02 PM »
The Oceana's sister ship in Australia is up for sale as well. Don't think it will be long for the Aurora, The Arcadia may survive as she does the Wold Cruises. but I somehow think her days are numbered as well.
I don't think I will ever travel on the new ship the Ionia, its to big and I am to afraid of a Covid-19 outbreak. 

Well, the Pacific Explorer is currently the only ship that's currently sailing for P&O Australia to not to have been sold to CMV, but the vessel is also for sale so either she might be bought by CMV, transfered back to Princess Cruises, or scrapped. It would make sense to scrap the Aurora as she had many bad setbacks and accidents so it would be best to put the vessel out of it's misery. Also she is currently the only P&O Cruises vessel that was built in Meyer Werft as all the other vessels were built in Fincantieri (unless you count the upcoming Iona which is also being built in Meyer Werft).

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
I read that P&O Cruises have stated they
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
Oceana left Southampton this evening for Piraeus

Allan

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 02:04:13 AM »

Allan

Yes, she is heading to Piraeus, but it may not mean she could have been sold to greek interests. Some vessels that docked there had some interior furnishings removed before heading to the breakers yard including the Horizon and the Marella Celebration. It's possible she's heading there to drop off any remaining P&O furnishings.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 06:42:17 AM »

Allan

Yes, she is heading to Piraeus, but it may not mean she could have been sold to greek interests. Some vessels that docked there had some interior furnishings removed before heading to the breakers yard including the Horizon and the Marella Celebration. It's possible she's heading there to drop off any remaining P&O furnishings.

One Greek ferryspotter who knows the business quite well says she's been bought by the guy who owns the Seajets operation. In my view, that could be a speculative purchase, waiting for ship values to rise again.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
Very interesting observation that, thanks for sharing! It will be interesting to see that saga unfold further

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
The Oceana is heading to Piraeus, Greece.

Offline canberra97

• Shiplover
  • Home away from home
  • Southampton Based Ship Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 12:49:51 AM »

Allan

One Greek ferryspotter who knows the business quite well says she's been bought by the guy who owns the Seajets operation. In my view, that could be a speculative purchase, waiting for ship values to rise again.

Seatrade has confirmed that the OCEANA has indeed been purchased by Seajets who intend on using her on overnight sailings to the several Greek islands from either Piraeus or Herakleion.

According to the broker's involved in the purchase the value of the sale has not been made public although they have stated that Seajets paid a fair price.

One has to wonder how long Carnival had advertised the OCEANA for sale as the announcement of her withdrawal and the purchase by Seajets was a rather quick affair.
Cunard Line 1983/1987
British Channel Island Ferries,B.C.I.F. 1987/1993
Geest Line 1993/1993
P&O European Ferries 1993/1993
Stena Line 1993/1996
P&O Ferries 1997/2005
Intercruises 2006/2013
Carnival Port Ops 2014
Red Funnel Ferries 2015
Intercruises 2016/2017
European Cruise Service 2017-

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »
Oceana has been renamed Queen of the Oceans, although her deployment plan still remains a mystery. She is currently docked in Patras, west of Athens, Greece. Funny thing enough, you can still see her old name despite being painted over with her new name.

IMAGE REMOVED UPON REQUEST BY davidships

[Admin] re copyright -
at https://www.cruisecapital.co.uk/oceana-acquired-by-greek-ferry-operator/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:45:57 PM by davidships »

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Apologies if its been mentioned before but P&O Southampton have just stated Oceana for sale this month.

[Admin: Accepted.  I wonder who started the original thread (now combined)?!
Changed title to avoid a third]

Have traced this back to July 7th announcement by P&O. Our daily evening newspaper erroneously reported it as happening today and tying it in with actual today announcement by P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow that all cruises cancelled until early 2021.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:41:12 PM by ChasB46 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk