Author Topic: Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur disposals  (Read 54412 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur disposals
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:21:58 PM »
following the demise of vessel's owner Pullmantur Cruises, Monarch and Sovereign
after having been stripped at Naples, Italy are now reportedly en route to
Turkey to be scrapped. Now stopped and waiting for orders.... What's happening?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:30:09 PM by dirk septer »

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur disposals
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 02:48:22 PM »
Rumours abound; according to the latest will all three Pullmantur ships now actually are going back to RCI. Sovereign and Monarch to RCCL and Horizon to Celebrity. The RCCL will do short cruises and the Horizon will fill a small ship niche for Celebrity.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:51:52 PM by dirk septer »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »
I don't think the Horizon is going back to Celebrity as it's sister ship, Zenith, was given to Peace Boat. Maybe they will give Horizon to Peace Boat in exchange for Ocean Dream. I do hope the Sovereign and Monarch do go back to RCI or gets sold for further cruising. Also, here's a photo of them laid up in Naples Italy June 22, 2020.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
SOVEREIGN and MONARCH now both circling  E/NE of Malta
MARELLA DREAM similarly.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
It looks like the Sovereign and Monarch may head to the scrap yards along with Marella Cruises' Marella Dream and Marella Celebration.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:45:41 PM by Angelshipbig »

Offline ftakma

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • www.nauticagoods.com
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »
Hello all,
The official of a scrapyard in Aliaga informed me that The Zenith will come to Aliaga first. I will be the first person to get in and start collecting pieces (no sales, for my collection). I will post pictures when she comes.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
Hello all,
The official of a scrapyard in Aliaga informed me that The Zenith will come to Aliaga first. I will be the first person to get in and start collecting pieces (no sales, for my collection). I will post pictures when she comes.

Surprised that The Zenith is also going, as she had just been handed over to PeaceBoat. She is currently off a Greek island called Agios Georgios. I would have expected Horizon to come first. Horizon just arrived at Piraeus this morning from Oman.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
The Horizon and Zenith are sister ships. They were both originally built for Celebrity Cruises. Likewise, the Sovereign and Monarch were both originally built for Royal Caribbean. I don't think these vessels should be scrapped as there less than 30 years old and had already received refurbishments a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:24:56 PM by Angelshipbig »

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 09:25:52 AM »
The Horizon and Zenith are sister ships. They were both originally built for Celebrity Cruises. Likewise, the Sovereign and Monarch were both originally built for Royal Caribbean. I don't think these vessels should be scrapped as there less than 30 years old and had already received refurbishments a few years ago.

That is all irrelevant right now. The ships are about 30 years old which means they are past their economic lifetime, they are completely written down and there is simply no market to sustain them, nor will there be (in all likelihood) in a year's time. Besides, laying them up also costs about 1 million USD per month(estimate from Carnival). Whether we like it or not, they are going for the chop.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 02:05:08 AM »
Pullmantur Cruises Horizon arrived at Piraeus, Athens to be stripped of any valuable items.

http://www.cruiseharbournews.com/horizonpiraeus.html?fbclid=IwAR2AHididN9xCb_RmGiiQyehDEKXZubzituF67umVb-28T2WQ5pWfEvd5aQ

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
Strange about THE ZENITH (changed name and rebranded to Peace Boat in March, along with move from Malta to Panama register - and class certificates all updated).
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/picture/ships/3805021/8918136/shipid:302027

But I suppose the Japanese are holding their cards close to their chests. 

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
Also, with Pullmantur dissolving, what will happen to Grandeur of the Seas? The vessel was going to transfer over in 2021, but with Pullmantur gone, where will she go. It's unknown if Royal Caribbean would want to keep the vessel so if Pullmantur Cruises is going bankrupt, they may sell the ship for scrap.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 02:23:45 AM »
We, shipspotters, must unite our powers & do something to save these beatiful ships from getting scrapped!  Besides, I still haven't spotted neither of them yet coming to my town.

There's some good news, both Horizon and Monarch are for sale! Here ate the links for the vessels, respectively. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/modern-cruise-ship-1800-passengers--stock-no-s2393-2874747/ https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/cruise-ship-2-744-passengers--stock-no-s2151-3012402/

Also, The Rhapsody of the Seas is also for sale. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/cruise-ship-2417-passengers-stock-no-s2509-3024096/

Don't see Sovereign for sale, so she may actually been sold to be scrapped.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:36:13 AM by Angelshipbig »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
The Monarch is close to the shipbreakers in Aliaga, Turkey. All remaining crew transfered to Celebrity İnfinity which is heading back to Greece.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
Monarch is near Aliaga, Turkey, but her position is facing towards Greece which means she's either heading back to Malta or waiting to be beached.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk