Author Topic: Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur disposals  (Read 54441 times)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Caribbean and Pullmantur disposals
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »
Are you worried that the Pacific Princess could be sold for scrap? I don't think that's possible. She's not that old, but her being in the Azamara fleet does make sense as half of the R-Class would belong to Azamara if that were to happen. Besides, the other four R-Class vessels belong to Oceana Cruises, so that could be something.

No, I was not worried about her being sold for scrap, though I disagree with you regarding such a thing being not possible. In these uncertain times anything is possible. Remember, the R-class ships are now around 20 years old. For several years I have wondered why Princess has retained her in their fleet, she does not fit in their fleet of huge ships at all. Oceania would not want to acquire her, being focussed on new tonnage. Azamara would not have bought her whilst they were under Royal Caribbean ownership (they were much more focussed on the Silverseas brand). So now that Azamara has new owners this might be an ideal opportunity for Princess to dispose of the odd ship in the fleet and an opportunity for her to be acquired for maybe a not very high price.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »
Having bought the company and its ships for what is regarded as a bargain price we can just hope that they have some spare cash available to buy the lone R-class ship still out there, Pacific Princess, and bring her back to her sisters.
Are you worried that the Pacific Princess could be sold for scrap? I don't think that's possible. She's not that old, but her being in the Azamara fleet does make sense as half of the R-Class would belong to Azamara if that were to happen. Besides, the other four R-Class vessels belong to Oceana Cruises, so that could be something.

No, I was not worried about her being sold for scrap, though I disagree with you regarding such a thing being not possible. In these uncertain times anything is possible. Remember, the R-class ships are now around 20 years old. For several years I have wondered why Princess has retained her in their fleet, she does not fit in their fleet of huge ships at all. Oceania would not want to acquire her, being focussed on new tonnage. Azamara would not have bought her whilst they were under Royal Caribbean ownership (they were much more focussed on the Silverseas brand). So now that Azamara has new owners this might be an ideal opportunity for Princess to dispose of the odd ship in the fleet and an opportunity for her to be acquired for maybe a not very high price.

Yeah, it makes sense that Azamara could now buy the Pacific Princess. Even though the R-Class is now 20 years old, they have been updated. Most vessels being scrapped are in their 30's or 40s, so the R-Class would be safe for at least 10 more years.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2021, 05:04:12 AM »
Cordelia Cruises hasn't responded to anything about the Majesty of the Seas and she is still laid up in Greece. I suspect that they may be or are selling her for scrap.

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2021, 09:44:41 AM »
Cordelia Cruises hasn't responded to anything about the Majesty of the Seas and she is still laid up in Greece. I suspect that they may be or are selling her for scrap.

It is my understanding that Cordelia Cruises were 'only' acquiring Empress of the Seas. The Indian cruise market is in its infancy so I cannot imagine there would even be the need for them to take on a second vessel, especially at this time - even it is available at a give away price.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »

It is my understanding that Cordelia Cruises were 'only' acquiring Empress of the Seas. The Indian cruise market is in its infancy so I cannot imagine there would even be the need for them to take on a second vessel, especially at this time - even it is available at a give away price.

But when Royal Carribbean sold Majesty and Empress, thay had said that they were both sold to 'an undisclosed buyer in Asia'. Cordelia Cruises later confirmed that they did acquire Empress from Royal Caribbean, so it makes sense that they also bought Majesty. But why not announce it? Are they waiting to see if Empress does well in India after the Karnika fiasco to put Majesty in service or are they trying to resell her to another cruise line or even for scrap. Majesty is still laid up in Souda, Greece and it's not that far from Aliaga, Turkey so maybe she'll sail there, but we just got to wait and see.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2021, 02:55:15 PM »

But when Royal Carribbean sold Majesty and Empress, thay had said that they were both sold to 'an undisclosed buyer in Asia'. Cordelia Cruises later confirmed that they did acquire Empress from Royal Caribbean, so it makes sense that they also bought Majesty. But why not announce it? Are they waiting to see if Empress does well in India after the Karnika fiasco to put Majesty in service or are they trying to resell her to another cruise line or even for scrap. Majesty is still laid up in Souda, Greece and it's not that far from Aliaga, Turkey so maybe she'll sail there, but we just got to wait and see.

I suspect that they're going to sell Majesty for scrap.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »
Sovereign has been nearly reduced to her keel. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKoP6mAJZLD/?igshid=1jy855q49b5gd
Not much work has been done onto Monarch. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKoPz00pqkl/?igshid=23e53lvjttj

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2021, 04:18:18 PM »
Majesty (of the Seas) arrived at Piraeus Port .Still unknown the reason why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbv0qGGxuFY
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »

The last remaining Sovereign-class vessel. Her fate doesn't seem bright. Considering her age and her selling situation, It's very likely that she will join her sisters on the shipbreaking beaches of Aliaga, Turkey.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2021, 09:10:00 PM »

The last remaining Sovereign-class vessel. Her fate doesn't seem bright. Considering her age and her selling situation, It's very likely that she will join her sisters on the shipbreaking beaches of Aliaga, Turkey.

If her new owners did resell her for scrap, I suspect that they're waiting for Sovereign's scrapping to be finished so Majesty can sail to Aliaga and take her sister's spot in the shipbreakers.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:18 PM »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
Cordelia Cruises may have resold Majesty of the Seas to Seajets. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24313-did-seajets-buy-the-majesty-of-the-seas-from-royal-caribbean.html

Well it's confirmed, SeaJets did by Majesty of the Seas from Cordelia Cruises. However, they don't intend to hold onto the ship according to a source. Many are suspecting that SeaJets are going to or is in the process of selling the vessel to the Aliaga shipbreakers, the same place where her sister ships Pullmantur Sovereign and Pullmantur Monarch already being scrapped. Here is the link: https://www.cruisehive.com/is-majesty-of-the-seas-going-to-be-scrapped/46808

Honestly, I think they're waiting for the scrapping of Pullmantur Sovereign to conclude so that Majesty can sail to Aliaga and take her spot to be scrapped. After all, they were the largest cruise ships from 1988 to 1991 but are now 30 years old. It's sad to see them go, but the pandemic has forced companies to shed older vessels.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
The scrapping of the Pullmantur Sovereign has been finished. She is now just a memory. https://youtu.be/H6gMoMWfJtA

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
Update from Aliaga, Sovereign's spot is still empty. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CL3olqXJhMG/?igshid=i62u3kozf8l7

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2021, 03:31:05 AM »
Update on Majesty. https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/cruiseship-sold-by-royal-caribbean-emerges-in-fleet-of-greeces-marios-iliopoulos/2-1-985218

The article confirms that Cordelia Cruises bought the vessel alongside Empress, but resold her to SeaJets. SeaJets are also considering selling her for scrap for 13 million. If they do sell Majesty to Aliaga, it will be the end of the Sovereign class.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk