Author Topic: Carnival ship sales  (Read 60360 times)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival ship sales
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »
Sending vessels to the scrapyards is one thing, but if Carnival is going to waste a lot of money during the pandemic transferring cruise ships from Princess to P&O Australia, I can't support them anymore. I can't, especially when they waste money during these times. Why not wait until after the pandemic, they're too impatient. I rather see them get scrapped than transfered during the pandemic. I'm sorry, but it's tough for me.

I would imagine that they need to show confidence in the future and also to show commitment to a market from which they had already withdrawn ships from and to be ready for the time when ships can begin cruising again.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:47:07 PM by davidships »

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2020, 09:24:17 PM »
Sending vessels to the scrapyards is one thing, but if Carnival is going to waste a lot of money during the pandemic transferring cruise ships from Princess to P&O Australia, I can't support them anymore. I can't, especially when they waste money during these times. Why not wait until after the pandemic, they're too impatient. I rather see them get scrapped than transfered during the pandemic. I'm sorry, but it's tough for me.

I'm sure Carnival will be devastated you won't support them anymore. They were most likely relying on you sailing with them to keep them from going into liquidation. People with more brains than most of us will have looked at the market and where it will be in a year or so's time and made an informed decision in transferring these vessels. It should be looked at as a positive sign that they can see an end to this at some stage and are planning their next move which is the transfer.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »
I'm sure Carnival will be devastated you won't support them anymore. They were most likely relying on you sailing with them to keep them from going into liquidation. People with more brains than most of us will have looked at the market and where it will be in a year or so's time and made an informed decision in transferring these vessels. It should be looked at as a positive sign that they can see an end to this at some stage and are planning their next move which is the transfer.

What I was trying to say is that Carnival should wait until the pandemic was over to transfer the Golden Princess and Star Princess to P&O Cruises Australia, because the markets would be improving and getting better. Transferring and repainting the vessels during the pandemic seems like a waste of money. I stll support Carnival and other lines, it just made me upset when they did this during these times of trouble. Also davidships, stop removing my replies. Thank you.
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
What I was trying to say is that Carnival should wait until the pandemic was over to transfer the Golden Princess and Star Princess to P&O Cruises Australia, because the markets would be improving and getting better. Transferring and repainting the vessels during the pandemic seems like a waste of money. I stll support Carnival and other lines, it just made me upset when they did this during these times of trouble. Also davidships, stop removing my replies. Thank you.

This pandemic will pass and once it does, cruise lines must already be in a position to recover their losses as soon as possible. That means getting ships ready and postioned, able to operate at the push of a button. They can't wait until everything is over and then start their analysis, decision making and resulting scheduling. If they did that they might as well call it quits now and invest their funds elsewhere. If Carnival isn't ready to resume their operations in every region, I assure you that MSC, NCL and Royal Caribbean most certainly are.

The financial institutions keeping Carnival afloat during this time aren't saying "Meh, let's wait and see what happens". They are demanding operational plans for the next couple of years, as well as alternatives and contingencies on those plans.

Any cruise line that only plans for the next 6 months will fail. Cruise lines, like all industries with expensive assets like ships, are thinking on timelines as long as 20 years.

I'm sorry it makes you upset that Carnival is planning ahead, but these decisions are not made on feelings but are based on in-depth data analysis, financial models and risk analysis by industry experts with hundreds of years' experience shared among them. With billions of dollars at stake, they aren't going by gut feelings.

Quite frankly, I don't understand your concern over where Carnival puts their ships. At the end of the day, all the brands roll up financially into Carnival Corporation and it makes no real difference what house flag the ships are flying. The only difference is product differentiation and marketing.

When all our fondness of ships and the associated excitement are set aside, a ship is an asset used to generate revenue. The same return on investment calculation that is done on a manufacturing plant or mutual fund, is also run on a ship.

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
PS Carnival has spent many years building up P&O Australia's brand recognition and loyalty. It was a market that grew very slowly (compared to the Caribbean or Mediterranean) and is finally expanding on  its tremendous potential. The Australian market is demanding more and newer ships to grow.

When the gap in the market is finally there, you want executives to say, "Aww schucks, you know, I feel we shouldn't".

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »
P&O Cruises Australia has announced future sailings. They'll repaint the two Princess Cruises vessels and see how sailing goes. If the pandemic has ended by 2021, then they'll get new waterslides. If it still goes on, then they'll consider 'other options'. Only time will tell. Here is the link.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23740-p-o-australia-expecting-rebound-of-local-cruise-industry.html

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »
Two pieces of news today.

The Carnival Fascination is to become a accommodation ship in Asia and is leaving Cadiz, Spain, en route to new owners in Asia, with a destination to Singapore. I'm skeptical that they're going to turn her into a accommodation ship. I suspect she may actually be sold to be scrapped in either Alang, India or Gadani, Pakistan or Chittagong, Bangladesh or Changjiang, China. Either places make sense since the shipbreaking industry is booming and because Aliaga is getting filled up. Anyways, here is the link:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23764-former-carnival-ship-heading-to-new-home-in-asia.html

In other news, Princess Canceled theur Australia Program Through May 2021. I suspect that Princess's role in Australia and New Zealand will be further reduce in favor of P&O Australia over the weeks. Here's the link:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23766-princess-cancels-australia-program-through-may-2021.html

Offline LPX

• Photo Corrections
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
The Fascination is still at Cadiz anchorage

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2020, 02:07:51 PM »
The Fascination is still at Cadiz anchorage

Yes, she's still there. She will sail to Aliaga within the next month.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2020, 12:26:01 AM »
Looking at recent photos and videos at Aliaga, it's obvious that they barely have started on the Carnival Imagination. In fact, she still looks mostly intact. The Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Inspiration, on the other hand, are goners. Maybe they're waiting to fully scrap those vesels before they work on Imagination. Maybe there's still a chance to save her before they start to cut her up.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
I'm fairly sure Carnival would be quite willing to part ways with one of the Fantasy-class ships that are still afloat if someone wants to "save" one. No need to drag ship that's hardly unique off the scrap heap...

Personally, I'm happy to see old tonnage leave the worldwide fleet. Once the industry picks up, the shipyards can build new vessels that actually meet today's environmental requirements, client expectations etc.

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »
I realise that I am just one potential client but I should just say that most new cruise vessels don't meet my expectations.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm with you there, Clive. I will sorely miss the old BLACK WATCH and BOUDICCA

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Yes, me too Bob, but we have to accept that those old ladies were really getting on in years. They really were due to be replaced (corona virus or not). I do look forward to experiencing BOREALIA and BOLETTE.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:02 AM »
I have some good news. The Carnival Fascination has been bought by the brand new Century Harmony Cruises. They plan to return her into the Century Harmony. This is good because the vessel will be saved (If noone bought her by January 1, she would have headed to Aliaga as Fatih/ftakma1 has privately told me) and have a new owner. It's such a shame the other three Fantasy vessels weren't saved the same way, instead they're being scrapped in Aliaga. Here's the link:

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/carnival-fascination-blows-past-the-breakers-as-old-cruiseships-find-accommodation-roles/2-1-930164

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk