Author Topic: Carnival ship sales  (Read 60349 times)

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival ship sales
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »
What I think is more interesting in the above link is the Sine Maersk being scrapped next to these old cruise liners. would be good to have more shots of that than of these boring people movers

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2020, 02:31:53 AM »
Two pieces of news today. The Pacific Dawn of P&O Cruises Australia has been sold to become a hotel ship off the coast of Panama named the Satoshi. That is nice to know that she will be saved, especially as the planned transfer to CMV was cancelled due to CMV going bankrupt. Here is a link:
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/former-p-o-cruise-ship-slated-to-become-floating-community-off-panama

In other news, Jalesh Cruises, the operators of former P&O Cruises Australia vessel Pacific Jewel which is now known as Karnika, have suspended operations due to the pandemic. While it's worrisome as they did buy the vessel a year ago, I hope they can survive the pandemic. Here is a link for that as well:
https://maritime-executive.com/article/indian-cruise-line-suspends-operations-appeals-for-crew-welfare

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 04:52:12 PM »
The Carnival Corporation has sold P&O Australia's Pacific Aria (ex Ryndam) to Greek shipowner Marios Iliopoulos, best known for his ferry company Seajets.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2020, 02:57:25 PM »
The Carnival Corporation has sold P&O Australia's Pacific Aria (ex Ryndam) to Greek shipowner Marios Iliopoulos, best known for his ferry company Seajets.

Carnival has confirmed the sale. This leaves the Pacific Explorer as the remaining P&O Cruises Australia vessel in the fleet since the transfer of the Golden Princess/Pacific Adventure has been delayed to the pandemic. Here is the link to the article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23689-pacific-aria-sold.html

Honestly, I think it's best if Carnival dissolves P&O Cruises Australia, cancel the transfers of the Golden Princess and Star Princess, and transfer the Pacific Explorer back to Princess Cruises. After all, having a cruise line only operate only one vessel during the pandemic is bound to fail.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:36:45 PM by Angelgreat »

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Honestly, I think it's best if Carnival dissolves P&O Cruises Australia, cancel the transfers of the Golden Princess and Star Princess, and transfer the Pacific Explorer back to Princess Cruises.

I assure you, these decisions are not made on what someone "thinks". Very extensive comparisons are done by very smart people with access to data we will never have. This analysis does not include feelings, but rather hard facts, like financial comparisons, operating costs, marketing projections, opportunity cost for removing the ship from other markets, crewing costs, taxes and fees in the operational area, countries likely to open first, etc.

Assuming they cancel the transfers on your recommendation, what difference does it make? Princess Cruises ships are idle and P&O Australia ships are idle. Whatever the brand, Carnival Corp has to pay the bills and they are struggling to do so. Why would they waste money on transfer costs, registration costs, paint, branding and signage on moving Pacific Explorer to Princess and have her be idle under a Princess name? Or why not just send her back to HAL? At least she is already painted dark blue and they have promotional material of her.

Also, companies tend to think a little longer term. Assuming Carnival survives, but dissolved P&O Australia. Five years from now they've then lost their market share to Royal Caribbean or some other competitor.

After all, having a cruise line only operate only one vessel during the pandemic is bound to fail.

In case you missed it, almost no-one is operating their ships. Why is having one (nearly or completely amortized) ship idle more risky than having twenty new ships (with financing attached to them) idle in the Caribbean? If getting a ship working again was as simple as sending it to another brand, we wouldn't have seen the cruise ships on the beach in Turkey.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
[quote author=Heinu Sch

Offline Heinu Sch

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2020, 07:14:11 AM »
@Angelgreat you are right with the Pacific Explorer/Pacific Aria. Thanks for the corrections.

So they won't have to repaint, but all the other costs will still be there.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »
Costa Cruises' Costa Diadema had to have her cruise voyages cancelled due to seven people being tested positive for the coronavirus. Here is the article link:

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-cut-short-and-seven-passengers-test-positive/42668

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2020, 05:19:41 AM »
Ex P & O cruise ship Pacific Jewel was sold in 2018 to Jalesh Cruises and renamed Karnika, debuting in 2019. Jalesh Cruises has ceased operating in October 2020. She is reported to be off Mumbai under arrest. Nineteen crew on board. Future now uncertain. Did not want to start a new thread she was part of Carnival.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
Hi Tony, yes I think that one will head to Alang...eventually. Indian bureaucracy is notorious but at some point, I think she will be sold at auction and head to the closest beach. Alang also has Hong Kong Convention compliant scrap yards now.

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2020, 03:24:17 PM »
Hi there,
Karnika is due for her next class run at 29/12/2020. So her future looks bleak i assume.
brgds,
Stefan

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »
Carnival acceleration the transfer of the Golden Princess and Star Princess to P&O Cruises Australia. Star Princess transferred a year early.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23733-princess-advances-transition-of-golden-princess-and-star-princess-to-p-o-australia.html

Sending vessels to the scrapyards is one thing, but if Carnival is going to waste a lot of money during the pandemic transferring cruise ships from Princess to P&O Australia, I can't support them anymore. I can't, especially when they waste money during these times. Why not wait until after the pandemic, they're too impatient. I rather see them get scrapped than transfered during the pandemic. I'm sorry, but it's tough for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk