Author Topic: ss PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT picture query  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
ss PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT picture query
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
I've recently written a lengthy article on the American President Lines ship President Roosevelt, and this is to be published in Sea Lines, the magazine of the Ocean Liner Society. On the 20th December 1969 the President Roosevelt departed San Francisco on a world cruise, towards the latter stages of this cruise she was scheduled to call at London, late February or early March 1970, an unusual stop for a world cruise. I have never seen a picture of her in The Thames or alongside the Tilbury Landing Stage. Was she there? Did anyone see her? Better still, does anyone have a picture of her there?

Offline Geoffrey Watson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://-
Re: ss PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT picture query
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
I have always lived opposite Tilbury (Gravesend) and I am going to stick my neck out and say she didn't call here as I have no record of seeing, or photographing her. I think it would be unlikely that I would have missed such an event. Hopefully, one of the other regular photographers from this area can confirm.
[color=000033]Geoff. Watson[/color]

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
Geoffrey, Thanks for 'sticking your neck out' by saying that you don't think that she called there. During her career the President Roosevelt made several cruises around the world as well as her regular trans-Pacific voyages, so called at a lot of ports. There aren't that many pictures of her out there on the Internet as far as I'm aware, which is a bit of a surprise really. Even so, I would have thought that had she made that call and was alongside the Landing Stage images of that event would have been out there. The itinerary for that cruise said London but I had wondered whether she actually docked in Southampton but the focus for passengers was London. A friend in Southampton says he has no knowledge of her calling at Southampton.

Offline David R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:05:58 AM »
Can confirm that President Roosevelt called at Southampton in March 1970. There is a picture in the book Port of Southampton in the 60s & 70s by Campbell McCutcheon

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:25:13 AM »
David, Thank you for confirming to me that she did actually call at Southampton. Oh the irony! Mr McCutcheon was for a time my publisher but let's just say that we did not part the best of friends...
Clive

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk